Accredited Permaculture Courses in Australia

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by TAFE NSW, Oct 28, 2010.

1. TAFE NSW

TAFE NSW New Member

2. david spicer

david spicer Junior Member

gday could you tell me who is teaching these course's and who is accrediting the the students ?

3. f10yd

f10yd Junior Member

4. david spicer

cheers mate
    but as far as i know any one who does a PDC owns the right to the name and info

I think thats a bit cheeky using PRI's web site and then saying these guys are the biggest providers !

I have worked for Geoff lawton for many year and Bill mollison and totally agree with the idea the permaculture is for the people and not for uni or tafe to dictate price's

5. f10yd

f10yd Junior Member

Yeah your dead right mate, anyone who has a PDC owns the right to the word Permaculture. And PIL is owned by PDC graduates as far as I know too. same deal.
    It was setup by Rowe Morrow and Tim Winton and Robin Francis et al. to ensure the integrity, ethics and principals of PC are maintained within the formal education system, for those wishing or needing to pursue the formal education route.

In the late 90's early 00's it was agreed that it was time for PC to move into the formal education realm, and if the movers and shakers of the grass roots PC world didn't take charge of that transition, then their was a risk that the ethics and principals and delivery may be corrupted. So, Permaculture International Limited (PIL) was established by the afore mentioned people.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding regarding the APT stuff that PIL should get clearer. But its not meant to replace the PDC and the PIL is 'owned' by PDC graduates. all this is spelled out in the links i provided.

oh, and when I said "they are the biggest providers..." i meant of the Accredited Permaculture Training (APT...This formalised accredited form of Permaculture education offered by TAFE's) - not of Permaculture education in general.

By the way, I dont have any vested interest in any of this. Im not APT teacher (would maybe like to be one day....) I got my PDC with Bill and Geoff and am now doing the Cert IV via correspondence to eventually get the diploma. This is currently the only way to get a diploma of PC, as Tagari has ceased awarding diploma's....

well, thats a long enough post for now....cheers mate. enjoy.

Floyd.
    www.permaculturedarwin.net.au

taken from https://www.permacultureinternational.org/apt/

"It was in Sydney in October 1997 that a group of people held the inaugural formation meeting of Permaculture International Ltd: Rosemary Morrow, Denise Sawyer, Robert Rosen, Graham Somerset and myself (Robyn Francis) – the founding directors of PIL.

It was a momentous occasion giving birth to a democratic incorporated entity to serve the permaculture movement in Australia and beyond......

The pc gatherings of 2000-2002 realised PIL’s new vision, with outcomes including the establishment of the permaculture-oceania discussion list, a new web site, publication of The Planet newsletter and the development of nationally Accredited Permaculture Training™ (APT).......

In July of 2003 Permaculture International Limited announced that it had received national accreditation for Permaculture training. That meant that accredited Permaculture courses were a possibility. Since that time the committee and contributors have taken the training to the next stage of implementation.

The PIL board its APT National Review Committee, in conjunction with Hortus Australia, have created a framework allowing knowledge, skills and practical experience in permaculture to be recognized and used to gain national qualifications.

This recognition will not affect the current delivery and qualifications of the Permaculture Design Course as designed and managed by the Permaculture Institute, or other Permaculture Organizations offering other forms of Permaculture Education. The framework of APT™ does not have its own curriculum (teaching programs, courses or content) but has a number of standards of performance at five levels on the Australian Qualifications Framework, Certificates I to IV and Diploma, which provide a guiding framework for people to develop their own teaching materials using their own approaches.

Accredited Permaculture Training is owned by PIL and therefore by the Permaculture Community and has been set up so that Hortus Australia will look after all the administration and record keeping, but provides none of the training and has no control over the APT™ package. This means that Permaculture practitioners can use the framework to design and deliver their own accredited training independent of or within the TAFE system, without having to establish their own Registered Training Organization (RTO)....."

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Will we have this dabate here and now? I look forward to this.

7. Fernando Pessoa

Fernando Pessoa Junior Member

Gday Davo,
    I remember Bill saying that the market decides who gets the students,the best teachers will always teach.This provides in built quality control.The APT is not a bad course and helps if you need to work in Government, as credentials are well valued by authority.It also gives a fair grounding for the basics,not as good as an internship at a good PC farm but not bad especially good for Urbanites.Dave you could easily get recognition for prior learning,I would write you a reference and so would Geoff and Bill and Van and all the other permies you know.The government might even pay for it should your circumstances permit.A diploma of Permaculture issued by Tafe has more credibility than one issued by a PRI.It's ludicrous but thats the way it is.As far as why it was set up,I can only say that there is a fine residual income to be made by the creators and owners of the ATP package as some places that Deliver APT 3 can charge up to 3500 dollars.
    Best Wishes Fernando Pessoa....ps Purple stop stirring the pot,excuse the bio dynamic pun.

8. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    At the risk of stirring another hoary old pot...

No-one owns the word 'permaculture', it's never been trademarked. There's some threads in the past that explain this (search for 'trademark').

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Maybe we could just stick this in a flow form and all get back to work?

10. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

It has a 'copyright', though:

The contents of this book and the name "Permaculture" are copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purposes of private study, research, criticism, or review as permitted under the Copyright Act, no part may be reproduced without written permission...

Source: Mollison & Holmgren (1978 ) Permaculture One. Transworld Publishers.

11. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    I don't think you can legally copyright a word Marko, it has to be trademarked. The books obviously are copyrighted, and I'm unclear if that means the Mollisons can say who can use them in teaching.

12. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

As a matter of interest... who owns the trademark rights to the terms Agriculture and Horticulture...?... and viticulture, vermiculture, aquaculture for that matter... ?

13. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I hear you Fernando - prudent to pull my head in? OK

14. david spicer

hey guys
    I stired things up a bit ! good to see peoples passions come out , you know your alive then
    I say go for what style makes you happy or where you can have the best effect ,Im a eliterate barsted so uni or tafe style of teaching is not for me

I understand PIL went the way they did, but don't want to see the subjects taught seperatly ,to me the strenght of permaculture design is in the interconnect of the indevidaul subjects

take care keep the passion up !!!!!!!!!