Covering Green potatoes

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by petal, Oct 27, 2010.

1. petal

petal Junior Member

I have some potatoes that have been neglected and are growing very well, but the tubers are on the surface and green. I know they are poisonous, and I should have kept then covered, but wondering what happens to them if I cover them now:
    - Will they lose their greenness and be safe to eat after a while?
    - Will they cover the green as they grow and still have green inside?

I don't want to risk eating poisonous potatoes, so may not eat any. I am going to see what happens, but curious if any one else has tried this.

Thanks,
    Petal

2. Susan Girard

Susan Girard Junior Member

I've never tried covering them over but I do know that if you can cut the green off and find white inside then that part is okay to eat.
    The question that I would like to add to your thread is does anyone know do fully purple potatoes like Purple Congo and Sapphire get poisonous if left in the light? Cause you can't see any green colouring if they do....

3. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

Green potatoes won't turn white again no matter how long they're covered. And they won't cover the green, they just stay green, all or part, even if they grow larger. But you could save them for planting, the green won't cause any problems with the next generation.

That's an interesting question about the greening of purple potatoes...

Sue

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

purple congo will get poisonous - you can see a greenish tinge to the purple skin

5. petal

petal Junior Member

Thanks Sue,
    I never could find the answer elsewhere.
    Petal