Bread

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ~Tullymoor~, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

I use a Breville breadmaker.....OK, OK, so my bloody cob oven is on the blink alright?!! :lol:

I use the little packets of breadmix and reckon that's not real smart as it costs more to make than a loaf of bread from the IGA, even if mine IS yummier.
    Does anyone buy the big, bulk bags of breadmix and also bulk yeast?
    Does it have the amounts/ratios/recipes on the bags somewhere ???
    There is no way I'll be able to guesstimate...I need recipes.

Any recommendations of nice brands, storage etc??

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

I used to work in a flower mill years ago..
    I got the sack for not cleanibg up some flour spillage....

My excuse was I thought it was Self Raising flour

Tezza the non baker

Tezza

3. ~Tullymoor~

Ahhh, Tezza, you are an idiot! A funny, lovable, smarta*se of the first order! :lol:
    Hey, check your bleedin' posts before ya hit submit will ya mate?? :banghead: You're making me even more disslecksick than I already was :shock:

I know, I'm going to translate all your posts into a user friendly, easy to read dictionary in PDF of course, that people can refer to so as to read your posts! I'll call it the Transtezzalator. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Mr frosty's bread recipe

310ml water
    500grams flour (half wholewheat /half white)
    1.5 teaspoons yeast
    extra gluten

good luck

I cant vouch for it cause I dont eat wheat or yeast :?

frosty

5. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Dan the Man's Bread mixes...

Laucke Bread Machine Pre-Mix (Wholemeal) also comes with yeast..

1,1/2 teaspoon of yeast into bowl
    3,1/2 Cups of Pre Mix
    415ml of water

set on 4 hour bake..

OK that's off the packet... Now for mine..

Dans' Cheese and Garlic Bread
    With the same mix..... as above
    Add a little extra yeast 1/2 teaspoon,
    1/4 cup of Grated Parma cheese
    2 teaspoon grushed garlic / or 2 cloves chopped
    Good as your everyday bread.. With extra goodness of garlic and cheese.

Dan's Vegimite Bread.
    Same mix as above
    Add a good heaped table spoon of Vegimite.
    cook.. (also I like to add some Peanut butter same measurment)
    Great toast all you need in a little butter.. Awesome cheese sandwich

Dan's Sanga Bread
    Same mix as above except only 3 cups of Pre-mix
    2 cooked snags
    2 table spoons of tomato sauce (prefereable home made - not to sure of outcome with Ketchup crap.)
    Once again, great toast, also good sandwhich with cheese and lettuce.

Dan's Banana and spice
    Same mix as above
    Add one over ripe banana
    1 teaspoon vanilla sugar / or 5 drop vanilla essence
    1 teaspoon cinnomon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    Great for dinner parties, baked in same custard. Also good served with Ice cream.

Breads awaiting testing..

Avacardo and cottage cheese
    Aspargus and olive
    Olive and tomoto - This will be my breshetta bread
    banana and choc
    Banana and coconut
    Ham and Cheese

These also work with the white bread mix, and the multigrain.. However your yeast values may change with the multigrain :)

6. barely run

barely run Junior Member

I use the 5kg bags..useing Lauke at present but think I liked the one I was useing before ??? White wings it's the 5kg bag in woolies. The Lauke has the yeast with it. I add 200grms of LSA mix to most of my bread..garlic parma cheese and a good handful of fresh herbs makes a great loaf. Sun dried tomatoes and basil...yummy.
    Be prepared for a few failures but it's useally eatable...and now I have chooks they love the rejects.
    Cathy

7. christopher

christopher Junior Member

We use a wood burning cook stove, which lends itself easily to baking. When we cook beans, which, being in Central America we do virtually everyday, the stove heats up the oven, and when the oven gets hot, Dawn gets to work on bread, or cake, or cookies. Yummmmm.

We eat lots of different breads, including banana breads, sticky buns (no jokes, please), rolls, bread with stuff int it, etc. Dawn uses no measurements anymore, does it all by eye, which works well. I would tell you more, but Dawn handles all of that, my job is eating it....

The stove works great for us. I got it second hand for next to nothing (opportunistic scavenger, me), which was a great deal, and we have been using it for 8 years now. It burns any wood, and we have become pyro-engineers with the stove, and our cooking is like alchemy.

We had to replace the stove top after 6 years of constant use, which cost us twice what the stove cost!

We also have a cob oven, which we fire up now and again. It is alot of work to do it, and it only makes sence (for us, since we have the wood burning cookstove) to fire it up when we have a crowd. But, when we do, it makes pizza in five minutes from going into the oven to coming back out again, done.

We had a book about cob oven, and when we had a particularly awesome set of wwoofers... role call of honour.... , who picked up the book after we strategically left it for them to find. As we planned and schemed and hoped would happen, they read it, they got excited, and then they decided to stay another month and build us the oven. We had great people build us a great oven!

Look for German wwoofers, Tullymoor, (dearest), and leave the book around the house, sighing wistfully that you sure would love to have one (sigh...), that you really will, someday, get around to huilding one, but you are so busy and over worked... (sigh again, for dramatic effect, then leave the woofers to go do something...) You might get as lucky as we did!

I only make corn bread, which involves very imprecise measurements of cornflour (from our corn), wheat flour, water, baking powder, onion, garlic, lots of chile pepper (from the garden), sometimes basil, and some beans, and when I feel rich, cheese, which is expensive here (and we don't have goats, yet. I do it differently most times, and it always comes out worth eating, though, as Cathy pointed out, sometimes the only one who wants to eat it are the chooks :lol: .

Frosty, you could get into corn bread. No gluten, no wheat, no yeast. While I usually make my bread with white flour to cut the corn, I have made it without the flour... and we didn't feed it to the chooks! It doesn't rise much without wheat, but other than that it is very good.

Every now and then we will get on a bioregional fixation.... and stop buying any food, and definitely not imported wheat flour.... which makes us feel holy and noble.... virtuous and low impact... self sufficient and self righteous, and... after a few weeks of this sort of thing,... hungry for bread... at which point we generally break down, buy wheat flour and bake a bunch of bread :oops: :lol: .

Dan the Man, your bread scene sounds awesome! Yummm. You definitely qualify as a "foodie". Your love of food comes through on the page like a siren.

Tezza, :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Christopher

8. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

It's so simple making bread and it lasts not more than ten minutes - it'really difficult to understand how the food-industry managed to sell prefabricated bread-mixtures.

bread is simply flour + water + salt + yeast (sometimes)
    - voluntary other ingredients like sunflower kernels ....
    wheat flour or rye other flours can be added but not too much

and all the other ingredients supermarkets put in you don't need
    (you even would not need them in commercial bread )

with wheat flour you use yeast
    with rye you make a sour dough

if the yeast is fresh you mix it with water and a bit of flour and let it 15 min,
    if its dry yeast you just mix the yeast and the flour and make the dough.
    You work the dough per hand. The quantity of water is correct if not all the dough sticks on your hand.
    the sour dough you make like this (it woN't alwas work) you take a bit of rye flour (3 Tablespoons) and water until it like a thin pancake dough. you let it iout of the fridge but with lid. You wait one two or three days the dough should smell sour. Than you add a bit of flour and water, and once more.
    If you make the braead put some dough before making the bread - witout salt - for making the next bread.
    Everyything is very easy - only with the sour bread you shoul go on and on to make it. But you can put the dough in the fridge for a week or two.

9. baleboy

baleboy Junior Member

just a point

have you thought about making sourdough

after a couple of goes and a lot of reading at

https://www.faqs.org/faqs/food/sourdough/faq/

my bread is delicious

an something i hav learnt recently is that sourdough is far more nutricious and benificial for you

in the same way that yogurt is easier to digest than milk sour dough is easier to digest than flour puffed up with supercharged sugar fed yeast

in both these the bacterial go to work on the milk and flour and kindof pre digest it for you, i am pretty sure that this makes it easier for you to extract more nutrition fro the food as well

of course red wine is fermented and is also good for us

is there a principle here to follow ??

this also happens in the soil, nutrition in the soil is made soluble and available to the plants via the bacteria and other biota living in the soil

there seems to be a good healthy pattern here that i like

bill mollison has written a book called "the book of ferment and human nutrition "has anyone ever read this ???? i imagine it would have lots of info about these things

i am only just starting to get my head around this stuff and i could e very wrong

any one else have any additions to the bread debate

10. Shane Bentley

Shane Bentley Junior Member

Hello everyone
    As I was reading the posts I was thinking why aren't these people talking about sourdough, then I read Bale boy's post. Anyway sourdough is so easy especially if you can source local organic wheat/spelt/rye and run it through a mill (If you like bread I would place obtaining a flour mill high up in the priority list) then the only other ingredient is salt and water.
    I have been baking sourdough for the past 4 years at least and I can remember being a bit scared at first. Having only baked yeasted bread before I felt it would be an art requiring skill and practice to bake without that commercial ingredient - yeast (made in labs I assume). However only after a couple of goes at creating a starter and baking some loaves I was well on the way to creating beautiful wholesome bread. Earlier this year we stayed at Lorinna in Tasmania for a while and I had the chance to bake some bread with the only ingredients being the starter (made from freshly ground spelt and water), freshly ground spelt flour, water, & salt. The spelt was actually grown by the Lorinna community, it felt very special to be creating and eating food, especially bread, completely grown in our backyard.
    Here is my recipe:
    Starter (I haven't created a new one for at least 18months now)
    2 cups freshly ground flour (wheat, spelt, rye)
    2 cups of good clean fresh water
    mix together well in a ceramic bowel, leave covered in a warm spot covered with a teatowel until the fermentation is active (bubbles, heaps of them, on top - actually frothy - actually you should be able to hear the activity) This could normally take 4 days however depends on temperature and the natural yeasts in the environment.
    This is usually all that is required, if it doesn't produce a satifactory starter you may need to try different locations for the fermentation to happen or even different times of the year.
    Here is the important thing, once you have a good starter add most of it to the bread mix (leave say 10mm in the bottom of your starter jar) leaving some to add some more flour and water too. I you don't leave some then you need to create a new starter all over again.
    Most of this first starter should be added to some water and salt (I don't measure but I would say maybe 3 cups of water 1/2 teaspoon of salt for 1 medium sized loaf) in a large mixing bowel then the remaining starter is placed in a sterilised jar and mix say a cup of flour and a cup of water (add enough flour or water to create a pancake consistency) put the lid on and keep in the fridge until it is required.
    Mix flour into the starter mixture until the dough starts to leave the side of the bowel. Knead the dough for approx 10 mins or until dough is silky smooth. Place back in bowel cover with wet teatowel and leave in a warm place until double in size or the expansion has slowed down. Then punch down the dough, knead lightly, place in greased tin, leave to rise 50% then cook in oven at 375-400degF for maybe an hour.
    That's it. Sounds complicated but after one or maybe two goes it can be done blind folded.
    Happy baking
    Shane

11. ~Tullymoor~

Shane, thanks so much for taking the time to write that out!

When you say ..
    2 cups freshly ground flour (wheat, spelt, rye)
    do you mean ANY of these or ALL?
    I don't even know what spelt is :?

12. Shane Bentley

Tullymoor not a prob
    I meant any of the grains (saying that combinations of grains can be used, however I have only ever used a single grain).
    I believe spelt is a very old strain of wheat so distant from the modern wheats that the gluten is in a different form so some people who have intollerance to wheat can actually use spelt. It is grown in Australia, hard to buy as a whole grain, and is usually avail in natural food stores etc.
    Shane

13. ~Tullymoor~

Also, can I cook it in the breadmaker not the oven??
    So many questions now....my friends and I eat sourdough with our mediteranean feasts...olives, sundried tomatos, eggplant etc etc and it's Sooooo yummy to soak up all the oil and herbs etc.

Edited to say ty for the info on spelt etc...we posted at the same time :D

14. Shane Bentley

It has been years since I have seen a breadmaker, so I don't remember the workings. Anyhow I think if you were purely baking and not doing all the kneeding and prooving/rising in the breadmaker then I cannot think of any reason why not.
    Shane

15. ~Tullymoor~

I wrote a post this afternoon thanking everyone for their recipes etc and it's not here??? Gremlins? Or was I :drinkers:

So, I'll try again...thanks everyone, can't wait to try them out. :mrgreen:

16. frosty

frosty Junior Member

so I presume only flour with gluten will make sour dough ? eg could it grow in corn flour or rice flour ?

I eat a rice flour soda "bread" and I assure you it is rather revolting :pukeright:

any other recipes gratefully accepted .......... but no wheat ( even spelt ) rye or barley and no yeast .......... :roll: I know it doesnt leave much

frosty

17. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Frosty,

My wife, Dawn, who is a wiz in everthing under the sun, great cook, fantastic carpenter, swings a machete, works the chainsaw, etc would know about sourdough and cornflour. One of her best skills (and most favorite) is baking. I will ask her tonight about sourdough.

The cornbread is great, and if you think of it as a casserole, with beans, veggies, garlic, onions, pepper, perhaps cheese, you can make something wonderful....

Christopher[/i]

18. ~Tullymoor~

Hubby has just brought home a big bag of bio dynamic, stone ground wheat flour and I've made my first starter.....wondering how warm the warm place should be?
    Will let you know how we go with it. :D

19. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

This thread's fantastic. This is the sort of thing I look forward to on this forum.

Thanks guys for all of this wonderful information. Hedwig, you're post has inspired me :) .

Tam

20. ~Tullymoor~

Yeah, me too Tam :D

I can't wait to be making a "staple," a yummy staple, myself.
    I find the bread mixes for the bread maker a bit like plastic bread....and love sourdough.
    I just said to Hubby it's a start. An easy, cheap way to begin feeding ourselves, with a sense of acheivement I imagine.
    Then will come the goats milk and cheese and all the fruit and veges we have planned :)
    Have to go shopping for some nice, heavy bread tins now...
    Today is a good day :mrgreen: