Appliances and mod-cons we could do without?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Possum, Oct 25, 2010.

1. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

Excuse me for taking this OT, but Don's comment reminded me...
    I've been making clothes washing stuff for a while and many of the recipes use borax. I've read that using it virtually guarantees excess boron in your water, which is really rough on soil organisms. I reuse my water and don't want to harm the 'microherd'. But often this 'information' is less than accrate.
    Can anyone point me toward reliable info on this?

2. DonHansford

DonHansford Junior Member

Most (good) supermarkets should have it - in the cleaning section. Generally in a blue & white box

3. DonHansford

Over-use of anything can be an issue. As the following states, borax is a better alternative than chem products. It is not harmless, but anything that can effectively break down grease and fats is going to have some detrimental effects. Moving the outfall point, or perhaps feeding it through a reed-bed type system may give you some relief. :)

Link below for attribution;

Borax is a natural-forming, non-biodegradable cleaning alternative to the toxic, chemical-laced household cleaning products and substances often flushed into or poured down the drain of septic systems.

Function
    In large amounts, chemicals in certain household cleaning products can upset the treatment process of waste water in septic systems, in which beneficial bacteria break down and digest raw sewage. Borax, a natural-forming mineral, does not deliver the same hazardous effect on septic systems as those chemicals.
    Natural Alternative
    Nontoxic to people and animals, borax can be used safely to bleach, deodorize, remove stains, disinfect and aid the cleaning power of laundry soap.
    Types
    Pennsylvania's Department of Environmental Protection lists borax as a safe alternative to these harmful substances and chemicals that enter septic systems: oils and grease, gasoline, antifreeze, varnishes, paints and solvents, harsh drain and toilet bowl cleaners, laundry detergents with high sudsing elements, bleach and pesticides.

Considerations
    While nontoxic to people, borax is only less harmful to a septic system's biological treatment of waste than the chemicals found in everyday cleaning products. Large amounts of borax filtered into the environment through a septic system's drain field could injure trees and other plant life.

Read more: The Effect of Borax on Septic Systems | eHow.com https://www.ehow.com/facts_5995012_effect-borax-septic-systems.html

4. DonHansford

Oops! Bicarb comes in a blue & white box - borax in a red & white screw-top plastic jar - my bad :(

Also, an "old wives tale" is that wetting your finger & dipping it in borax, then licking off the powder will help to relieve arthritis. I'm going to try that one for a week or so and see if it works.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It's just a simple 50/50 mix? Can I premix it and store it without it blowing up or something? And how much do I put in the machine for a wash?

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Don says
    I guess the pain in your hands will not be any bother post mortum lol

7. DonHansford

1 teaspoon bicarb to 1 tablespoon Borax. We just put that into the tray where the powder/tablet goes.
    Don't see anything wrong with premixing batches - as long as it doesn't get wet in storage, I guess it'd be ok

8. DonHansford

tastes quite sweet, actually :)
    There are numerous net reports of people taking a teaspoon full twice a day, for about three weeks, and having arthritis disappear for up to a couple of years. Could be the reason it is labelled as a poison in some countries?

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

hmmmmm, reminds me of the garlic diet... eat lots of garlic and your waist line will reduce.... well not reduce exactly, but you WILL look thinner from a distance :rofl:

Dunno how i got garlic from borax :think: ..... GMO maybe ;)

10. grassroots

grassroots Junior Member

I don't think we need any mod cons, why not do it the way we did it before electricity?
    The idea mod-cons saves us time is not correct, to buy the mod-cons we have to work more, there is also the time taken to keep these items clean, also having space to store them(e.g. bigger house).
    I personally would love to have no mod-cons, but I wouldn't have a partner, he likes a bit of comfort.
    If we look at the poorer countries they have one or two rooms in their houses.
    Less cleaning, less stuff, less work = more free time to enjoy life.
    I'll get off my soap box now.

11. DonHansford

Well, a couple of weeks on and I can do a (limited) report on eating Borax.
    Taking a wetted, dipped-in-the-jar finger (up to the first joint) of Borax a couple of times a day, hasn't had any noticeable bad effects.
    The good effects - joints are absolutely less painful. On a 1 - 10 scale of pain, they were previously hovering around a 4 for most of the time, occasionally up to a 6. Now, after 2 weeks, they are hovering around a 2, with odd spurts up to a 3.
    The wife also thinks I fart less, but that may just be wishful thinking :D
    So, old wives tales can often be more helpful than you think. I'm going to keep using Borax for a while longer as a cleaner of joints, as well as a general household cleanser.
    Please note: This is MY experience! Your Mileage May Vary. If you are silly enough to believe anything you read on the 'net, without some due diligence, then you quite possibly deserve to be removed from the human gene pool for the good of all concerned. (That should cover the legal stuff ... lol)