Tropical Forum - wish list

Discussion in 'Forum Info and Questions' started by sun burn, Oct 7, 2010.

1. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I really really wish there was a dedicated tropical forum somewhere on the net - whether it was here in the form of a dedicated branch or elsewhere. I just wish that all the tropical growing plant info was together.

I found a lovely tropical permaculture blog but the woman who set it up seems to have run out of enthusiasm or perhaps her circumstances changed radically.

I can't even manage to set up a proper blog so I am not the person to do it.

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

start one here - - ask the mods if you can set it up and then get on other forums and say hey its over here

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
  4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

go sunburn.......... I just started up a Aquaponics forum in the group pages..it must be easy to do,cos i just set mine up ok.. lolol

Tezza

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I don't like groups so i am not inclined to do that. I really don't like groups. Please let us not do that. They don't work as far as I am concerned. I want a forum where newcomers and passing traffic are likely to find it on arrival. I want it somewhere where a person with a tropical question might find it on google. I don't want anyone to have join or sign up further. I want people to feel that they don't have to go to any extra bother than already they've done by joining this forum.

6. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

we all had to sign up and join this forum

7. f10yd

f10yd Junior Member

I think thats a brilliant idea. Split up the Planting/Growing page into temperate - sub/tropical - dryland

on a side note, this year i have set up https://www.permaculturedarwin.net.au and am currently working on the resources page, which is not online presently. This will be made up of resources i have prepared and use my self in the remote indigenous gardens work i am currently doing, as well as some amazing resources from some Bali and TImor based NGO's who some of our members work closely with.

Check out https://www.idepfoundation.org/idep_downloads.html . specifically the "Permaculture Reference Book" which can be downloaded for free. It is by the far the most clear and practical tropical permaculture resource i have come across, and was co-written by one of our top end permies!

enjoy

floyd.

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

hi f10yd (what sort of name is that? lol what about something more userfriendly we can call you?)

I'm glad to see another tropical gardener. I enjoyed extremely! Leonie Norrington's book based on her gardening in Darwin. Thanks for the links.

9. f10yd

f10yd Junior Member

Its Floyd....like pink....

Yes, always good to make contact with another tropo with a green thumb. A Yolngu man on Elcho Island told me he has a green hand a few days ago....
    Indeed, Leonie's book is somewhat of a bible on the subject. Ive also found a PDF on a torrent site called "ORGANIC GARDENING in tropical climates" and its gold. Great 14day compost method in it.

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Why not start a thread in the Members System area? It's quiet in there so you wont fall off the bottom of the page. Just think of all of the tropics as your system!

11. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Ah floyd, I can type that without any trouble.