Hello, from complete novice!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by graslands, Jul 15, 2010.

1. graslands

graslands Junior Member

Hello everyone
    I am so happy to join here from the UK, England I could pop:Dand I wish to learn all about Permaculture and start applying the principles.
    I am new to this, but have always liked nature ...so I think thats why I am so happy to have discovered it.... It just fits in with my own earth loving nature.
    Discovering permaculture has also come at at great time as I have just moved home and aquired myself a pretty good sized garden, and as it is almost completely naked, (nothing growing in it except bare soil, some small stones, other junk, and broken glass scattered on the soil, and privets as hedges, and few dandelions and dock, bits of bramble and a couple of large trees at the back) I am feeling pretty enthusiastic and positive about starting from scratch to create a backyard feast:nod:.
    I Know I've got some hard work ahead of me, removing the broken glass and bits of stones, mulching etc, but I just know it will be worthwhile in the end as this I feel is the right path for me.

Also, i wish to thank you all for the forum as I'm certain i will need much advise and help from you good people.:handshake:

Much Much Love to you all
    Fiona

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Welcome graslands :)
    We are all learners here.
    Your project sounds exciting, have you started yet?

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hi Fiona. I'm glad you are starting with removing the broken glass and not the dandelion and dock. You might be more of a permie than you know....

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Fiona

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

It is so wonderful to have someone, such as your good self, make an introduction so full of genuine warmth and enthusiasm.

May your permaculture journey be filled with peace and happiness, Markos.

5. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Hello Fiona. I'm also quite a novice but my place is already planted with lots of stuff. I am finding this a very helpful and useful forum. I like it that it is international also. I like feeling connected to the whole world.

6. graslands

graslands Junior Member

Thankyou all of you for the warm welcome, :hi:you are more friendly and warmer than the uk permie forum, I havent even had one hello there yet :( maybe its all the sun you lot get...

It's been hissing down with rain here in the northern hemisphere, in the UK, and I haven't done anything much as yet, except making soggy compost :think:(i hope thats ok to make compost in the rain?!)and I have been down to the local railway line seeing what grows naturally, and where they grow, looking at the soil and following the sun...and identifying the trees and plants on a website.:nod: there are apples and berries, and nut trees :)
    I have hoarded many bricks out of my backgarden and stored them for something( I don't quite know what for yet!) and have collected loads of cardboard I have found left lying about for sheet mulching...

I have left the blackberries and wild strawberries in the front and bought some rasperries and blueberries, but i have't planted them yet, I am going to wait until the rain stops

Also I would like about 4 chickens, but I worry they will eat everything, as I don't like keeping animals in cages, maybe when I get round to reading about chicken care, I could find out how much room they need:)

OK enough of my ramblings for Now. I'm going to have a look around and read some of the forum posts

Much love
    Fi
    xxx

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Fiona

You don't want soggy compost for a few reasons. It blocks the aeration and cools it down. You want that. The rain can leach away the nutrients if its too wet. The best idea is to put a cover on it. But to dry it off a bit, when it stops raining, turn it over a few times to let it dry off. I am not certain that is the best solution but you don't want soggy compost. It should just be damp.

About the chooks. Lots of people here let their chooks out during the day and put them in a pen at night. It keeps them safe. As to how much mess they make in the garden chewing things up i am not sure. I do know the ducks are eating some of my plants...grrrr. .. and i will have to find some things that they won't like.

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

It is raining here too!The wettest i have seen for years although still a bit of my state in drought.
    i would love to see Lake Eyre in SA it has filled for the first time in 20 years (Usually a salt-pan). There is so much water that they are now having yaught races on it!
    Have a look at it on Google Earth it is spectacular
    As for chooks they scratch up everything but you wont have health problems if you let them forage during the day. Get a rooster if permitted.
    don't undersimate foxes, they love to eat chicken.

9. graslands

graslands Junior Member

OH, thanks sunburn for that info.... i have just turned it over and added some browns and covered it over with plastic sheet, should i put holes in the top for some moisure? and for air?

10. graslands

graslands Junior Member

Oh yes thankyou Michaelangelo, today I have been sectioning the garden off and picking up all the fluffing stones and glass and other junk i have found burried(excuse my northen language lol)
    Now my back is killing me, I feel like the hunchback of Notre damn....I am definatley going to get a hand held rake tommorrow for sure. haha