What do you grow at your place?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sun burn, Jun 15, 2010.

1. reddirt

reddirt Junior Member

It always looks more on paper than in the ground. I'll have a go at mine

I'm on 1000m2 of suburbia at Rockhampton, right on the tropic of Capricorn 50kms from the coast:

This is our peak time for vegetables, with less variety beig grown over the warmer months:

Vegetables ATM -

Asparagus
    Carrots
    English spinach
    Raddichio
    various non hearting lettuces
    spring onions
    asian (red) shallots
    potatoes
    Cucumbers
    Yacon
    Ceylon spinach
    choy sum
    Chinese cabbage
    cabbage
    cauliflower
    broccoli
    capsicum
    eggplant
    tomatoes
    butternut pumpkin
    chokos
    zuchinni and squash
    cassava
    bok choy
    snowpeas
    beetroot
    celery

Fruit and Nut

Pomegranate
    black sapote
    loquat
    jackfruit
    mango x 2
    Orange x 2
    mandarin
    lemon
    Ice cream bean
    Macadamia
    Coffee
    beach cherry
    passionfruit
    plum
    peach
    rollinia
    grumichama
    cherimoya
    banana x 3
    strawberry
    raspberry ( local native )
    raspberry ( traditional european type )
    pineapples x 8

Herbs etc

lemongrass
    sage
    thyme
    parsley ( Italian )
    oregano
    spearmint
    sweet basil

2. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

How is your pomegranate doing reddirt? Mines not doing well. I think its the humidity. Its humid in Rocky too isn't it?

What type of vegetable is yacon?

3. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

yacon is a low gi root vege worth a try in your area

4. reddirt

reddirt Junior Member

G'day sun burn. Yes it gets pretty sticky here over summer. I planted the Pomegranate on the footpath as I needed a fruitree that didn't get too tall ( powerlines ), was productive and didnt need much water. Its going great guns have produced a dozen or so fruits up to softball size in the 2 1/2 years it has been in the ground, I just juiced the last one a couple of days ago. I thought they could be grown anywhere after I saw them growing everywhere in East Timor, it has similar climate to Darwin.

I havent harvested the Yacon yet, It has just flowered for the first time and Im a bit unsure when I should be digging it up for the best return. I've bandicooted(?) around it and there doesent seem to be any tubers of size?

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

What's capsicum?

turns out, I'm not getting all the notifications of these threads in my emails, so sometimes I don't know if someone's asked me a question, don't mean to be rude *s*

sunburn, being there the next morning, meaning the animals haven't eaten it. Mice are eating my sunflower transplants...I have no idea why....and the raccoons are digging up plants to get at the slugs and snails, gophers are yanking down newly planted lettuce, and moles are making tunnels that dry out roots under newly planted transplants. It's a constant battle.

6. cooloola

cooloola Junior Member

sweet pepper, sweet pea , lots of differences in australian and USA names ,we call Pumeria, Frangipani

we also use chili more often to refer to hot peppers
    rgds

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

REDDIRT, its great to hear about your pomegranate and those of east timor. You've inspired me to have another go. I think i will buy a new one though rather than dig this poor thing up again.

SWEATPEA, capsicum is a pepper that's not hot. red and green. They are big i think sometimes they might be called bell peppers.

I don't get any notifications of answers to my threads. I don't think i am bothered by that though. I just check the forums when I come in.

But my god you have a lot of animals competing for your food. I think i'd probably give up the 'welcome to my party' approach if i had that many creatures to contend with. In Tasmania gardeners have to fence their whole vegetable patch including the top to keep out the possums. Otherwise they'd have nothing to eat themselves. Here I will have fruit bats. We've got cockatoos, one or two bandicoots that so far haven't done anything harmful. a couple of scrub hens that so far haven't done anything harmful. I've yet to see how competitive its going to be here. I intend putting bird nets of any fruit trees that the animals might fight me for. In India i finally figured out the reason most people don't grow many fruit trees is because they have to compete with the monkeys. Its only if you are a farmer that people seem to be able to find ways to win the battle.