Hello everyone!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Since, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Since

Since Junior Member

:)
    I'm a French traveler who recently arrived in Australia. Like many French my English is not good. I am here to work and traveling. I am interested in developing long lasting. I discovered permaculture and an interest in going on forums and reading articles. Your forum is very comprehensive and I enjoyed the walk.
    See ya, on the forum.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hello Since and welcome!

During your travels you'll have many opportunities to examine the work done in the original home of Permaculture, Australia! And your English will improve (although it's good enough now) interacting with the many people you'll meet.

Keep us informed about your travels and discoveries. Maybe you'll get to meet some of our forum members!

3. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

Salut Depuis, (Since !)

I've lived in France for 19 years - wonderful place !

There is now a French permaculture forum here : https://forum.permacultureweb.fr/ but it makes sense to keep speaking and writing in English of course ! :)

Have a good trip.

Irene

4. Since

Since Junior Member

5. Since

Since Junior Member

I'm in Australia, so I go to the australian forum and I speak in english.

6. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

Excellent - congratulations on making the effort !

Learning English is so important and it's a great language plus most of the stuff on Permaculture is written in English and we need native French translators here for the teaching manuals and books.

7. ezylala

ezylala Junior Member

Welcome aboard fellow newbie.. And have more in this forum.You will surely learn more about gardening here.

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Welcome,
    We do have some French members of the Forum. If you do a search you will find them (hopefully, the search function is not great).
    I, myself, would like to live in a county that gardened like the English; and cooked like the French.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Perhaps you can help me. I have just met a Saudi student (Muslim about 28-30) who is here studding (PG). He has seen NOTHING of the country, just books and study & more study. I am making a list, for him, of the non-boring bits of Australia he needs to see before he goes back.
    So far I have
    1.the Sydney Zoo
    2.GBR
    3.Melbourne
    4.Scenic bit around me.
    5.Botanic gardens
    That's about it. Any bits that you liked?

Any suggestions

9. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Michael, I'm often asked by fellow students of international origins (and WWOOFers, when I'm on research missions) where are the great, 'must see' places (and spaces) of Australia. I usually answer in the following manner:

Grab yourself a backpack, put your back to the ocean, and hitch 1000km inland. Often referred to as the 'dead heart', the vast interior of Australia is anything but dead. Picture this, you are standing in the middle of a desert (take your pick, we have quite a few), it's late, about midnight. Everywhere you look you see nothing, and hear very little. Let your eyes adjust to the blackness, and soon the stars will begin to dance (note: mind-altering substances are not required for this exercise). Walk where very few people have ever walked before, breath air that is so hot and dry, that in summer (at midday) it literally burns your throat, and in winter (at night) causes frostbite to the same passage. Smell the dirt. On the Western Shield, it can be up to 2.5 billion years old. Imagine the stories. Better still, meet some of the original inhabitants, and hear them first hand. Australia has a lot to offer. WWOOFing is a great way to see 'the real Australia'. Do it, before it all becomes a quarry. Or worse, a waste dump.

Cheerio, Marko.