Hi from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Kardella, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Kardella

Kardella Junior Member

Although I'm new to the forum and to practising permaculture design, I am expecting them to play a significant part in my life shortly. My wife and I have bought a 16 acre property in South Gippsland and are currently having our (energy efficient) house built. We are also in the throes of designing the farm consistent with permaculture principles.

Having read Permaculature One and being an early subscriber to the Permaculture Magazine published in the late '70's (?), this has been a 30+ year dream that we are now able to realise.

The forum looks like an excellent vehicle for discussing issues and ideas and no doubt, seeking lots of advice.

As a 'first up' matter, I recently read Linda Woodrow's book "The Permaculture Home Garden". It contains lots of excellent advice and I hope to use many of her ideas. I am, however, unsure about her chook dome. In particular, I'm concerned about its viability in inclement weather (not unknown in Sth Gippsland). I expect that this is addressed elsewhere in the forum and will search it out.
    As an alternative, I am thinking about an octagonal chook house with eight arterial arms forming vegetable gardens that can then be rotatated - the 'chicken tractors' working on each section once the garden has been harvested. I would also include a permanent chicken run as the first 1-2 meters out from the chook house. It looks a bit like a spider's web actually!

Any experience with this or any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Welcome Kardella:)
    Victoria seems to be full of Permies!
    As for the chook housing, ISTM that you should be writing your own book with designs. Your idea sounds wonderful.
    I hope it is five star, double glazed mud brick ? :)
    Seriously, that is a great design concept you have come up with.

3. Kardella

Kardella Junior Member

Many thanks for your positive comments Michaelangelica.

I won't be able to get underway until later in the year but I am planning to keep a record of my progress with this approach and will post details as they unfold. As for 5 star......well it should offer reasonable protection from the elements and uninvited/feral guests!

I have now started to trawl through the myriad of discussion threads on the forum and found lots of interesting information and anecdotes. I'm really looking forward to getting started with this project.

4. bonsai

bonsai Junior Member

Hey Kardella!

Its great to see more Melbournians floating around, your chook coop idea is excellent and I would like to integrate such a function into my property!

Looking forward to your future contributions.

Cheers :)

5. Kardella

Kardella Junior Member

Hi Bonsai,

Many thanks for your post. I'm anticipating a fair amount of work in getting this coop/garden established but it should then enable easy netting and shading of garden beds as well as providing support for climbing plants on each of the radial arms.

BTW I also considered Tassie as an option but it was too far from family and friends (and my wife said no!). A wonderful place though!

Cheers,

6. Barnes

Barnes Junior Member

Hi Kardella,
    I'm presuming from your log-in name that your property is in Kardella. I also have a property in Kardella (South) so thought that I'd say hi. I have 6 acres up on Barnes Rd. I live in Melbourne so at the moment I am mainly there just on weekends. My land was infested with weeds and I'm still trying to get it under control so haven't done much development yet. Not sure how many of your neighbours you have met yet, but I have found it a friendly spot. If you want to meet some of the Barnes Road folk, let me know.
    Cheers,
    Suzanne

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You might want to look under Community and find the Mandala gardeners - there's a bunch of us doing Linda's system to some extent or another who can share our experience with you about domes.

8. Kardella

Kardella Junior Member

Hi Suzanne,

Spot on... Our block is on James Road, Kardella South. I manage to get there most weekends / Fridays but Jackie and I will be moving there permanently once the house is finished - it still has a long way to go! We have had the property for a couple of years and have got to know the folks in surrounding properties..... and you're right, it's a really friendly area! I look forward to catching up with you and having a chat about your plans etc.

Cheers,

Ray

9. Kardella

Kardella Junior Member

Many thanks for your advice on this. I certainly haven't ruled out any options and will, hopefully, learn from the experience of others.

Cheers,

Ray

10. Barnes

Barnes Junior Member

Hi Ray, I look forward to catching up with you too. If you are passing, please feel free to drop in and say hi. I'm 355 Barnes.
    Cheers,
    Suzanne

11. Kardella

Kardella Junior Member

Hi Suzanne,

That's great. I am aware of some other folks along Barnes Road / James Road who are interested in our progress with this venture. Perhaps we can get a local support group going? There are also some practitioners around Korumburra and Leongatha who have been involved with Permaculture for many years (Rick and Naomi Coleman for instance). It's certainly daunting on the bottom rung of the ladder (as I am at the moment), but I am so excited by the opportunities that permaculture offers and look forward to sharing the experience with others.

All the best,

Ray

12. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
  13. Kardella

Kardella Junior Member

Many thanks purplepear. As we're moving into a new house and the property is largely bereft of anything above a metre, the mandala garden will be a work in progress for some time to come I think.

14. Barnes

Barnes Junior Member

A local support group sounds like a great idea. I had Rick Coleman come and give me some advice when I first bought. I'm still clearing so haven't implemented anything yet! I'll look forward to catching up and having a chat.
    Cheers,
    Suzanne