350ppm movement

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

350 is amovement that seeks to return the earth's CO2 levels to 350 parts per million.

What is Brighter Planet’s 350 Challenge, exactly?

The 350 Challenge is a small way to show your support to fight climate change. The more bloggers that get our badge, the better. Thousands of readers will know that the climate movement is spreading far beyond the typical “environmental” realm and into the norm.
    Who is Brighter Planet?

Brighter Planet helps people like you measure, reduce and offset their carbon footprints. We are committed to demonstrating that small, day-to-day actions can make a huge difference for the environment.
    What affiliation do you have with 350.org?

Brighter Planet's 350 Challenge is inspired by Bill McKibben’s awareness campaign about the importance of the number 350, the parts per million of CO2 in the atmosphere that we must aim for if we want to keep the planet relatively safe. Bill is on our advisory board and the 350 crew are some of our dearest friends from Middlebury College. The 350 Challenge is a way that we can help bloggers spread the word. To learn more, listen to the podcast about the 350 campaign that we did with Bill.
    Why carbon offsets?

Carbon offsets play a crucial role in building a sustainable society. Many renewable energy projects are well suited to produce energy and meet stringent standards, but lack sufficient financing. Carbon offsets fill that void by investing in these projects.
    What kind of offset projects are you supporting?

Our renewable energy projects in communities across the U.S. decrease our national dependence on carbon-emitting “dirty” energy sources like coal burning power plants. Some are wind power in public school districts or open lands and others are cow power on family farms. They all meet Brighter Planet’s stringent project standards. Learn more about our projects…
    Who is paying for these offsets?

Brighter Planet purchases and donates the 350 pounds of offsets for every participant in the 350 Challenge. We feel that's a small price to pay to help generate awareness for the fight against climate change.
    How do I install the badge on my blog?

If you know how to update your blog's template directly, just copy the badge code and paste it wherever you'd like. If you prefer using your blog's admin tools, take a look at our tutorials for Blogger, Wordpress and TypePad. If you're using another blog engine or are having trouble, feel free to drop us a line.

BADGE IMBED CODE:-
    [​IMG]
    https://350.brighterplanet.com/

2. Terra

Terra Moderator

Isnt it interesting that there is little chat in the press about winding back levels but plenty about tradeing schemes no doubt with taxes applied
    Terra

3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Yeah all so much word play and nothing much else getting done.
    Can someone please tell me how paying a carbon tax is going to resolve this or where this tax it supposed to be going?
    Somebody sure thought of a fantastic golden goose for themselves didnt they?

4. starFury

starFury Junior Member

ahhh these carbon offset schemes, carbon taxes and carbon trading, it's all a massive shell-game........... they prey on peoples inherent guilt and when people cough up some dough they get to feel better about themselves for a little while....... i'm currently not in the country (living in vietnam), and though i generally pride myself on living with as little impact upon the earth as possible, i'm painfully aware of how much a detrimental effect international flights in general r having on the planet...... still, this doesnt make me pay want to pay extra for the flight to offset the carbon (sometimes u have that option)...... this is basically because i believe i can do more with that money personally, ie. by investing it in my own permaculture garden, etc when i get back to oz...... that sort of thing...... i think we can do more as individuals than big corporations can do........ color me unimpressed by 350.org :/

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

While I applaud organisations such as '350' (in all their worldly variants) for at least trying to do something, I urge people to look a little deeper at the systemic (social and ecological) injustices that reside within practically all of the world's mechanisms of governance, and therefore begin to direct their energy toward making change at the root cause of the problem. It's of no use to prune a plant in an effort to eradicate a systemic disease. You must pull it up, roots and all, and start afresh with a new seed, one that is free from contamination.

What environmentalists must emphasize is that the global ecological crisis is systemic not simply the product of random mishaps...

...We do not simply live in a world of problems but in a highly problematical world, an inherently anti-ecological society. This anti-ecological world will not be healed by acts of statesmanship or passage of piecemeal legislation. It is a world that is direly in need of far-reaching structural change...

...The social roots of our environmental problems cannot remain hidden without trivializing the casts itself and thwarting its resolution.

Murray Bookchin (1989) Death of a Small Planet

Cheerio, Marko.

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

More on the topic of 'statesmen and legislators', this time by Henry David Thoreau:

Statesmen and legislators, standing so completely within the institution, never distinctly and nakedly behold it. They speak of moving society, but have no resting-place without it. They may be men of certain experience and discrimination, and have no doubt invented ingenious and even useful systems, for which we sincerely thank them; but all their wit and usefulness lie withing certain not very wide limits. They are wont to forget that the world is governed by policy and expediency...

And from the same essay, previous paragraph:

...the government does not concern me much, and I shall bestow the fewest possible thoughts on it. It is not many moments that I live under a government, even in this world. If a man is thought-free, fancy-free, imagination-free, that which is not never for a long time appearing to be to him, unwise rulers or reformers cannot fatally interrupt him.

Source: Thoreau (1849) Civil Disobedience

Cheerio, Marko.