Growing beetroot from seed

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by eco4560, Feb 11, 2010.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I love eating the stuff, but I'm yet to have success growing beetroot. My first attempts involved starting them on seed raising mix, transplanting them to bottomless pots (ala Linda Woodrow's "standard" method), and planting in the garden. They germinated fine, but died in the garden. Then I tried putting 3 seeds into a 2 L milk carton bottomless pot and germinating them there, and putting the resulting plants straight into the ground, to try to avoid root disturbance as much as I could. Most of them died too. I've tried planting the seed direct as well, and no success there either.

I can't see that they are being eaten by anything, as other stuff planted at the same time has survived.

I have planted a whole pack of seed over the past year and I think I got about 4 edible beets.

What am I doing wrong? I've bought a new packet of seed and want to get it right for autumn!

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Beetroot is an indicator species for boron deficiencies. It is possible that you have a lack of it I guess, but are the seedlings dying as soon as they go in the soil or do you think they have time to get their roots out and about before they die?

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Maybe try a different seed supplier?

4. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

They're germinating, so it doesn't sound like a problem with the seeds (unless it's just a fragile variety).

I'd try planting into little test patches in your garden, and giving each test patch different amounts of water. Maybe you're just over/under watering the seedlings? Also, birds do seem to like them around here. Maybe little birds are selectively taking the beetroot plants and not other things?

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I know everyone says to direct sow beetroot, but i have had reasonable success with transplanting seedlings.
    They do seem to like seaweed.
    Anything i direct sow gets eaten by snails or caterpillars.

With the heat today 100F i wonder how any little plant survives.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I always soak mine first for a day or two then put them in either seed tray or punnet with seed sowing mix.
    They really dont like drying out so its a good idea not to have them in direct sunlight.
    I plant them out when they are at the 4-6 leaf stage.I water the ground really well before they go in and then again after planting.
    If its really hot I either plant them on the shade side of another plant or cover them with something for the first few days- t the moment with white seed punnets with a stone on each.
    Beetroot does transplant sdo long as you remember that their roots are sensitive and dont like being curled up.
    Hope you have better luck with the next lot.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Thanks guys. I'll report back in a few months -hopefully with big beets!

8. ppp

ppp Junior Member

as a side note, I've found possums will selectively eat in particular beetroot seedlings, but also parsely seedlings.. leaving all sorts of other yummy looking seedlings and plants standing.

I've had a nice row of young beetroot seedlings within an established garden neatly "trenched" with not a single one left behind.