University Education

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by dancer, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dancer

dancer New Member

Hello forum,

What are the best universities, majors, and courses about or related to permaculture?

I am looking at the University of California at Davis Web site as they have about 50 different biology and agriculture-related majors and departments, and the university is near my location.
    https://admissions.ucdavis.edu/academics/majors_by_c_and_d.cfm

Thanks!

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

What is Cornell like in the USofA?

Horticulture has been slow to be recognised and funded well in Australia.
    In the Sydney region The University of Western Sydney is the only University I know doing much vaguely agricultural.
    The University Of new England (NSW) also.
    In the Hunter (NSW) region (Tocal) there is an Agricultural College that offers Certificate Courses.
    https://www.tocal.com/

3. cdoug_e

cdoug_e Junior Member

I teach permaculture at a University in Iowa called Maharishi University of Management. its in their Sustainable living department. We are hoping to have a Permaculture track in soon and this upcoming year a energy, a building, and more market gardening type track will go in. Its also a school about consciousness and meditation. I also am working with my former college, Hocking Technical College in Ohio on teaching PDC there. They have a new energy program and soon will have a technology and energy of farming program. Its where I studied Fish and Wildlife Management. Permaculture is based off ecology so not the worst place to start either. Hope this helps and feel free to email if you any questions about those two sites.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I Studied a Bachelor of Applied Science (Horticulture) at Burnley in Melbourne, now annexed to The University of Melbourne. This is where I first heard about Permaculture and Organics among other things. A few of the Lecturers at the time are now, or have been, presenters on Gardening Australia which often has stories about Permaculture and Organics. I think that much of the horticultural/scientific community (as opposed to science for profit) are aware of the science of treating your soil with care, so I think it wouldn't be too difficult to find a place where you could learn the principles of plant and soil sciences which are easily translatable to permaculture. In many ways permaculture could be seen as an application of knowledge rather than a knowledge in of itself.

I also find that where attention goes energy flows, so that if you are looking at which ever course you do through the eyes of permaculture, with permaculture as your attention and intention then you will find that you pick out the 'best bits' naturally. As with anything it is always a case of take what resonates with you and leave the rest.

5. dancer

dancer New Member

I don't know much about Cornell except that it is one of the top universities in the US (US News rank #15) and #5 for biological/agricultural specialty.

Best Colleges Specialty Rankings: Undergraduate Engineering Specialties: Biological/Agricultural
    https://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/spec-doct-agricultural

How much does location and local climate affect what is taught in agricultural schools?

There are so many different majors in the agricultural universities. I guess I will just pick one that sounds interesting and start reading from there. I would like to get educated in the basic sciences background as related to permaculture. I am new to permaculture but I guess it seems to encompass everything, though it would be nice to know what is the most closely aligned university major to make studying more efficient. I'm looking at "Plant Sciences" at UC Davis.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

6. Aaronj

Aaronj Junior Member

My sister got her undergraduate degree from Prescott University in Arizona. They offer the most flexible self-designed degree program (including Masters ), I know about. If you are self-motivated and are looking for a degree in Permaculture I think you could get it via Prescott. They don't have a built in permaculture program though.

7. KidCanoe

KidCanoe New Member

I studied at the University of Hawaii under a professor from Cornell. The material was ecological anthropology and was very good. I don't know if Cornell has permaculture curriculum but I do know that Ithica NY, where Cornell's at, is very progressive and even has its own local currency.