Accredited Permaculture Training vs. Internship at PRI

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by kerbe, Jan 15, 2010.

1. kerbe

kerbe Junior Member

I have taken a PDC and want to get more training in the permaculture field. I have been looking at both the APT program offered through Djanbung Gardens/Erda Institute in addition to the 10-week long internship offered through the Permaculture Research Institute of Australia. From what I understand, they come from two different schools of thought.

Anyone have an opinion on either course of study? My goal is to eventually set up my own permaculture demonstration site, teach classes, and do some consulting. Being officially accredited is not as important to me as getting the most knowledge/insight/information that I can but I haven't seen much talk out there about the advantages/disadvantages of the two.

Any insight would be most appreciated! Thanks!

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Kerbe and welcome!

Although I know nothing of the Djanbung Gardens/Erda Institute program I might be inclined to choose the program based on the similarity of the program site/micro-climate to your own. That way you'll be working with techniques and nuances directly applicable to your own goals.

Just a thought.

Bill

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    They are both in the same area Bill - perhaps 30 kms apart? The structure of internships facinates me. They are not well known in Australia. I understand that they are based on voluntering but with a specific education/apprentiship focus which may differ slightly to to wwoof programme as it tends to be seen as a cheap waay to get around a country by some/most.
    If any one has a framework for how they function - I would be most interested.

4. kerbe

kerbe Junior Member

I appreciate both of your responses and see your point, Bill, for sure. I am based in the US and the notion of me studying permaculture in a sub-tropical climate in the southern hemisphere only to practice it in a temperate climate in tne northern hemisphere does strike me as a little counter-intuitive. However, i can see no comparable programs offered in the US and figured I could translate most of it on my own. However, if you have any ideas of good programs in North America, I'd greatly appreciate it!
    As to the comment about internships, I think internships are great ways to learn, combining both classroom time and practical experience...especially if you are a kinesthetic learner, they are the best way to go. I did find that although I loved my PDC, the 2-week format does not allow for much practical experience time which an internship would have built in.