Good Bug Bad Bug - treatments/solutions

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by Bird, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Bird

Bird Junior Member

hi all
    we all get get insect problems from time to time, so i thought a thread on solutions may be in order, what are your secrets and or solutions.
    most bug problems are usually caused by an inbalance in nature, fix the imbalance and the problem should return to a more natural level.

with all the rain up top end at the moment i have noticed huge numbers of water scorpions, the only info i seem to be able to find is about a Qld version (long tail, bum snorkel) the ones in Darwin have a short stumpy tail, so doe's any body know if these insects are Good or Bad Bugs, and if bad what are their preditors, i am hopeing they are good because they are very entertaining to watch

Thanks
    Bird

2. Bird

Bird Junior Member

gee it's getting lonely in here, good thing i'm used to talking to myself the shame is i dont make any sence

3. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Only ever encountered the odd scorpion here in Tassie. Haven't seen one in 10 years or more. I hear they go well Battered and Deep fried :)

4. Bird

Bird Junior Member

they are certainly big enough approx 3inch long and 1 1/2 wide

5. Mango1

Mango1 Junior Member

Very cool bugs. The website I looked at said they eat other bugs, so they may be good bugs. Apparently they can bite. Not too sure about eating them, but I had fried crickets in Manilla once and they were kind of nutty.

6. ppp

ppp Junior Member

I think the silence might be because some people have never had a scorpion problem in their garden!

the only bug problems I've had so far are basically caterpillars and 12 spot beetles, the solution I've used so far is to squish them. This is getting harder with my growing garden.

I have had rare cases where the plants simply gets eaten, then pulled out.

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I usually pull them out before eating them :)

8. Bird

Bird Junior Member

my mention of the silence was in referance to the lack of people due to the spam problem, glad thats been fixed and welcome back everyone

milifestyle i to prefer to pick my plants before eating also

mango yes very cool bugs, very entertaining in their antics - mybe mutants from the x-men movies what with the big X on their backs and all
    as for eating if they are edible i think deep frying the exoskeliten are realy hard

so whats the natural preditor for the 12 spot beetle, i should know just red a jackie french book on natural bug control

9. Bird

Bird Junior Member

water scorpions must have a fairly short life cycle, noticed big mobs of dead ones tonight

10. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    When you say scorpion... are you talking about the thing with the curled up tail that stings people?

And I was raving on about Not having bugs in my garden, talk about gaining a whole new perspective on life.

11. Bird

Bird Junior Member

12. Bird

Bird Junior Member

the link above they are not water scorpions as i was informed, mine are giant water bugs, and apparently they taste like corriander when dried and crushed, or battered and deep fried they are like chewy spicey snacks
    damm now i know i'll have to get the courage to try one