Permaculature in North America

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Chief Cloudpiler, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Chief Cloudpiler

Chief Cloudpiler Junior Member

We need the kind of training here in North America that is provided in Australia. When I do a search of the programs available, I don't get a sense of continuity between permaculture in the U.S. and that if AU. There are a whole lot of people "training" here, but are they conneted with the founders. If so, how can I find them. I can't afford to go to Ausieland for training and I would like to begin training my own Indigenous People in the principles.

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Hi :)

I don't really follow what you are asking. Do you want courses in the US where the teachers are connected with Bill Mollison or David Holmgren?

What part of the US are you in or can you travel to? There are some US people on this forum who might be able to recommend teachers.

There's email lists that it would be worth asking on. Lots of courses get posted in these lists including the US ones.

Permaculture International: https://openpermaculture.org/mailman/listinfo/permaculture_openpermaculture.org

Other lists are here: https://www.permacultureactivist.net/maillists/emaillists.htm

3. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

Chief....just my thoughts, i speak for no other.

hello chief,
    i'm not sure you do.

if you notice a - discontinuity- between the different camps ( aussies and yanks )........that is the way of it.
    as for the founders and getting close to the source - books and videos - plenty, cheep, free even, and online there is heaps.....but

there are some god dam clever permaculture designers out there,,,,experts!....and if they have a certificate (recognizable) they have studied a curriculum, sat a test, and passed.
    they are qualified to teach.

all permaculture camps have a 'local' flavour,,,,for your camp, your people...the only choice is the permaculture they create.....in this there are no chiefs.
    even our leaders are not our leaders....J.Krishnamurti is my leader, and he is the anti-guru....follow no one.

that said, them at the Permaculture Institute,,,do a good job of rallying the troops,,,walking the walk.
    walking the walk down your path chief,,,,the start is all you need to teach (learn)....and it is available closer to you than australia.

regards,
    kimbo

4. Wyche

Wyche Junior Member

Get the 72 hour PDC and you can. I think that is right. I can't afford to Australia either man. Hell I can't afford the course they are having less than a 100 miles from me, right now. I bought the designers manual and I talk to old guys. Make friends with old farmers and anybody who will listen to you. I lucked out when I found my property, the guy up the road has been farming organically since 1975. Don't you know I will picking his brain, as well as cuttings from his lush pesticide free fruit trees. Don't give up, it takes time anyway. Check out Sepp Holzer in Austria, he grows lemons at 3 to 5 thousand feet above sea level in a climate that usually never goes above 40 deg. F. He never took the PDC. Learn anyway you can and teach anyway you can. No Waste, no waste.

5. MicheleM

MicheleM Junior Member

I am going to a certification next month in Illinois. www.midwestpermaculture.com has the course available. Bill Wilson studied under Bill Mollison.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Is that called a double billing?

7. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    And who gets top billing in this situation?
    It is true Chief that you can learn and teach much closer to home than you may think. It occurs to me that the things Permaculture has taken and used from American Indian traditional practices are quite extensive. A respect for nature, Adding organic matter (fish head in corn planting holes), and three sisters (corn-beans-squash) are just three that come to mind. Look to what nature has to teach and you can learn much about perminant argiculture.

8. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

Hi Chief!

Posted this earlier in your introduction thread, but thought I'd post it here as well:

Peter Bane & Keith Johnson are doing PDC in Indiana:
    https://www.permacultureactivist.net/...PcSyllabus.htm

The Quail Springs folks are doing a PDC with the Lakota on the Pine Ridge Res. might be relevant to your purpose:

https://www.quailsprings.org/events

Permaculture Design Certification Course - Pine Ridge South Dakota
    August 16-27, 2010

Quail Springs co-founder Warren Brush, and assistant teacher Cory Brennan, will be returning for a second time to teach a Permaculture Design Course at Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Local elders and leaders will be joining in teaching the course by sharing their history, their appropriate practices on the ground and in their social structures, and the deep weaving of of their relationship to the land and how it is linked directly to the health of their culture. This Permaculture course will be emphasizing how our destinies of western and native cultures are intertwined in our combined need for healthy and ecologically sound shelter, water, fire (energy), and food to serve ours and the earth's needs and those of future generations. This course welcomes people of all cultures.

All the best,
    Jonathan