1. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Mungbeans

Both of your provided links seem to be kaput.

Concerning scythes: I love them, as i do my (great granduncle's) hoe/chipper. The scythe I picked up at a garage sale for $5, sharpened it, sanded and oiled the handle. She's (why do we engender our tools?) a beauty! I use it regularly on grasses, sedges, etc. The hoe (Grahame will love this) has similarly been 'revived'. I use it for chipping 'seedy' weeds, the result is an ever-increasing amount of 'green' matter available for the compost tea barrel.

Keep your tools (very) sharp, and their handles sanded/oiled - then hand them down to your kids/grand-kids.

Happy scything, Marko.

3. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

The links above should work... an extra set of [] in the original one.

4. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

Thanks Milifestyle. I would have corrected them sooner but I keep getting locked out when I try to log in.

5. Bird

Bird Junior Member

Any one in South Australia looking for old/antique garden tools and farming implements should pay a visit to Limberlost just on the outskirts of Laure ( southern flinders) I'm sure Jim and Leeanne would look after you

tell the bird sent you

Bird

6. nsainsbury

nsainsbury Junior Member

Bought a Scythe from them earlier in the year. Love it. Almost chopped the dog a few times though.

7. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

The scything will have to be a morning job, while the chickens are in the coop. Otherwise we might end up with some legless chooks.

They follow me around all the time because they have realised my digging, mowing etc throws up bugs. I'm already considering installing a horn on the z-turn :)

8. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

My scythe arrived two days after I made the order. Dan from Scythes Australia only goes into town (Mudgee) once a week but luckily for me he was making a journey there the day after my order arrived. The courier delivered it the next day. Can't fault that for service!

Now I have to learn how to use it without cutting my toes off!

9. Bird

Bird Junior Member

Hi Mungbean

once you've worked out the rhythm you'll never look back, by the way toes are compostable anyway

10. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

Does anyone know the best way to scythe a slope. From the top, from the bottom or from the side. What if the slope is quite steep?

11. Bird

Bird Junior Member

I look at the slope as a triangle, start at bottom and work up in slight angle, works 4 me

12. Bird

Bird Junior Member

So do you still have your toes? Does your local hospital have an internet cafe? so you can keep us informed?

13. Bird

Bird Junior Member

how many toe's left

we must assume the local hospital has no internet, let us know when yhe toe's grow back.

have you mastered the sythe uphill yet?

14. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

Toes

All my toes are still intact, thanks for asking :)

The old market garden on the property has become shamefully overgrown, so I've been concentrating my efforts on clearing that first. I have to do the scything very early in the morning when it is still cool, as it is very hot work. It is excellent exercise for a coach potato like myself.

I haven't yet tried the scythe on a slope, although the banks along our boundary with the road are in desperate need of clearing. I've been a bit shy of scything near the road because my technique is still rather poor and I don't won't the locals laughing at me. Getting better though.

Buying the scythe has sure fixed our lack-of-mulch problem. I now have a haystack ready for use.