DNA,,,Is there a Geneticist in the house?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by kimbo.parker, Dec 19, 2009.

1. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

hello,

I read (The Energy of Life....forgot author) that you get nothing from your Ma but how you are going to die, and when.

This is 'embedded' in the shitty little bit of mitochondrial dna she contributes to the mix....
    All the serious person forming dna comes from your pa.

This flies in the face of observables....such as folk that look like their ma.

But any stock breeder looks to the sire for 'traits'.........

so what is the real deal here?
    I would prefer the consulting geneticist to be a permaculture designer.

chortle

regards,
    Kimbo

2. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

Actually, you get *more* dna from your mother than from your father, especially if you are male as y chromosomes are smaller than x chromomosomes.

Here's a link to a site about heredity - click on What is Heredity and you get an idiots guide to the subject in a rather nauseating American accent. The link neatly ignores the mitochondrial dna, which are contributed entirely from the mother, but she does contribute significantly more than just mitochondrial dna.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/begin/traits/

3. kimbo.parker

shit, that is good enough for me,,,a big thank you to our resident geneticist,
    the burra

ps hope uncles doing ok

regards,
    Kimbo

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

https://www.springerlink.com/content/73q7v86767m40716/

https://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2003_Feb-March/ai_97994370/
    Taurine is found in parsley and garlic

PS
    On ageing
    https://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2009/jan2009_Millions-of-Needless-Deaths_01.htm
    People at high risk of vitamin D deficiency include the elderly, those with skin conditions where avoidance of sunlight is required, dark skinned people (particularly women during pregnancy or if veiled) and patients with malabsorption, e.g. coeliac disease.

5. kimbo.parker

mitochondrial dna from your ma?

so you get this mitochondrial dna from your ma; different dna from your pa?....

but this mitochondria, present in our cells, and responsible for 'cell energy'......i have heard (read) that this sucker was not part of the design,,,that is why it has its own dna!!

the mitochondria was a successful hitch-hiker, that made its self indispensable to the system way back,,,but a tag along, a symbiont ( with its own agenda?).

further to this,,,it doesn't work so well...it leaks, it is inefficient, cumbersome....not consistent with the rest of the design (human?),,,and obvious as an 'insert'. (The Energy of Life...forgot author).

so i take this in, and the first thought that comes to me is;

you get this from your ma.

I also read things into this like; this mitochondrial dna is not evenly distributed around the system....rather, it is set like bombs around a few system critical (strategically significant?) areas.....ready to fail, bringing the system down.

i'm not a misogynist ( despite my ma's assertions ), but i smell conspiracy, the ' Eve Effect ',,,or that is what i'm calling it for this thread.

regards,
    Kimbo

6. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

Well named Kimbo - the way mitochondrial dna comes from our mothers (it's only because the mitochondria are floating around our cells and the dad's contribution arrives as a neat package of dna without normal cell contents) gave rise to the 'daughters of eve' concept, whereby the female line can be traced accurately for many many generations. Mitochondria aren't the only 'symbionts' though - plants also have chloroplasts which work in much the same way, genetically speaking. And there are still some free living bacteria around who regularly 'ingest' smaller green algae and enslave them as built-in energy producers, though both the algae and the bacteria are fully capable of independent existence.

Maybe the mitochondria are inefficient, cumbersome, not consistent, whatever, but they are a darned site more efficient than anything we have of our own! Unlike those free living bacteria, we are *not* capable of living without our mitochondria!

Here's a piccie - the sperm only has mitochondria behind the 'head' with all the dna, which is the only bit that enters the egg cell. It's not a female conspiracy - it's just that males don't bother to donate anything more than strictly necessary!!!!

[​IMG]

And yes, they do tend to 'accumulate' where they are needed, like in muscle cells.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

There's actually a book called the Seven Daughters of Eve that's all about mitochondrial DNA. Given that we all get our mitochondrial DNA from our mothers it means you can trace back done the line to the "original" mother. Apparently there are 7 women who are responsible for most of the people alive today. It's a good read if you have a scientific bent.

8. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

Finally an explanation for an observed trait. I'm not telling the males of the household. They would only use it as an excuse.

9. Don Hansford

Don Hansford Junior Member

That's a ripper! I finally have an excuse for taking 8 years to renovate the house! roflmao

10. raincrow

raincrow Junior Member

Had to check out the accent---does sound nauseating doesn't it! It's probably just her dna talking.