Permaculture Plants: A Selection by Jeffrey B. Nugent (Auteu

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by PeterFD, Nov 27, 2009.

1. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Permaculture Plants: A Selection by Jeffrey B. Nugent (Auteur), Julia Boniface (Auteur)

Anyone read his book and could give an opinion?

We’re starting to design a permaculture to replace traditional farming techniques here in the South of France but would this book help us?

Any views or opinions would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Peter

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: Permaculture Plants: A Selection by Jeffrey B. Nugent (Auteu

Perhaps you could find it in a library before you buy it?

One description: "This is an easy-to-use guide to selecting hundreds of perennial species. It is indispensable for growers and designers working in subtropical and warm temperate/arid climates, and also includes some cool-climate tolerant species. Permaculture Plants: A Selection details hundreds of common and unusual edible, medicinal, and useful plants."

One of the reviews at Amazon complains that it doesn't have photos, just botanical descriptions.

I've just ordered it from my library system to see what it's like.

Sue

3. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Hi Sue, thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately ordering English language books in French libraries is something of a complicated process. I ordered an Alpine goat book in English last year – still waiting!

I noticed the quote on Amazon concerning the lack of pictures which would suggest that you would need another book to check-out the plants suggested.

When your copy arrives perhaps you could share your opinion – especially concerning the level of detail given for each plant recommended and what proportion would be of interest to someone trying to establish a permaculture in Europe?

I received a copy of Geoff Lawton’s DVD “Introduction to permaculture design” last week and was pleasantly impressed. Certainly a lot more detail than I had anticipated.

I’m currently checking the piggy-bank to see if I can afford a copy of Bill Mollisons Permaculture Design book – expensive even in second-hand form.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I can do that. What kind of information are you looking for in particular? Suitable plant species for your area? Plant species for certain types of projects (N-fixing, windbreaks)?

Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway might be useful to you, as it is more for northern hemisphere use. Mollison's PDF, as good as it is, is tilted rather heavily toward southern hemisphere, although there is some crossover with plant species.

Sue

5. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Hi Sue

Many thanks for your offer of help.

Essentially we need forage crops to feed our goats all year (currently switching to Boer goats that don’t seem to mind the high summer temperatures or the snows of winter), and basic food crops for the family – supplemented with perhaps chickens or ducks.

Here in the foothills of the Alpes, general observation would suggest a good mulch crop that would aide the long dry summers and possible swale development may help.

How’s life in Washington State, USA?

Thanks,

Peter

6. Tulipwood

Tulipwood Junior Member

If you go to Google Books and use: permaculture nugent as your search terms several books come up. His 2004 book (the one you're interested in) doesn't have any previews, unfortunately, however the 1999 one does.
    It might be useful to you, especially if goats eat agaves or cacti. OK maybe not that useful. Still by deleting the nugent bit on your search term some interesting books come up, some of which do have interesting 'previews'.

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Hello, Peter! It's cold here, we're all hoping it will start raining soon and warm up.

Could you give me a brief list of what kinds of common plants grow in your locale naturally, so I will have some point of reference? What kind of soil do you have, sandy, clay or loam, or mix? Acidic or alkaline? Rainfall?

The library called today and said the book is in, I should be able to get down there Monday or Tuesday (it's in the next town).

Sue

8. SueUSA

SueUSA Junior Member

Hello, Peter! Sorry for the delay, but I've had trouble logging in with this new system.

This book is aimed mostly at permaculturists operating in tropical and sub-tropical areas of the world, with some fairly minor references (and common info) to plants that are also suitable for temperate climates. You are probably familiar with most of the temperate/cool weather (below freezing) trees and shrubs that are listed here. And even of those listed, there is virtually no reference to cold limitations, except vague references to frost tolerances (or not) for some of the species.

Unless you live in an area of warm (almost frost-free) winters, I don’t think this book would be excessively valuable to you for the cost, esp with the addition of shipping charges. I wouldn’t bother with it except as a library book or if I could find it used and cheap, myself. It’s useful for taking notes from, but that is the limit, in my opinion (living in a area where winter temps go down to -18ºC).

The majority of plants listed are trees and shrubs. They are broken down into Pioneers, Nuts, Fruits, and Utility Plants, with some species/variety lists for salt-tolerate species and those tolerant of alkaline soils.

Good index, though.

If you live in a cooler climate, Gaia’s Garden by Toby Hemenway would probably be more useful, and is somewhat less expensive.

Sue