how to keep grapevines safe in winter...

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Jen Mazer, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Jen Mazer

Jen Mazer Junior Member

Hello!
    My grapevine looks very vulnerable; I only planted it last year. How do I prevent it from snapping this winter-put metal stakes around it as if it were
    a tomato plant?
    Jen

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Re: how to keep grapevines safe in winter...

Sorry, I don't understand. How is it vulnerable? What is happening the winter that worries you? What is the vine growing on?

3. Jen Mazer

Jen Mazer Junior Member

The grapevine is not supported by anything yet that is permanent. What it leaned on in the growing season was not permanent. It's really just a stick growing out of a four square garden...
    Worried mostly by ice, I guess. Though once, back when I was a child I witnessed something amazing. My parents wanted to grow an ornamental maple. When it
    was planted it was nothing but a twig with a little leaf. I told my parents I wished we could put a glass jar with holes on top. They said it would be safe.
    They were right.

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

Oh, ok, here people always grow grapevines on a wall or trellis or fence or something. Shouldn't be too hard to rig something, depending on how much room you have. I don't know what happens to grapevines if left on the ground.

What is your climate like? How hard are the freezes? We get quite a few -8C freezes here in the winter and the grape is fine, but it is against the house with a bit of shelter not out in the middle of the garden. Also it's a dry climate which is different freezing than a wet climate.

5. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member