Pigs as tractors

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by purplepear, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Dalzieldrin

Dalzieldrin Junior Member

Re: Pigs as tractors

agreed. seems like quite an elephant in quite a room

2. Dalzieldrin

do you know if this has been published, and if so do you have a reference for it?

3. Dalzieldrin

perhaps, but it doesn't address so-called 'emergent' disease...ie. the ones we don't know about yet

4. greenfarmers

greenfarmers Junior Member

Hi ...
    [/quote]

do you know if this has been published, and if so do you have a reference for it?
    [/quote]

https://www.markpurdey.com/ has lots of Mark's published papers and other research. His book "Animal Pharm can I believe, be bought off that site and it would have everything in it. I would love to read it one day - but since we are now cow-less it is less of a priority and I'm banned from buying any more books at the moment!

There are also a number of other sites which discuss Mark's work - they come up on a gen search of his name.

Heidi

5. Dalzieldrin

sorry, you did post that link already - ta

6. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    We need to get another book by Joel called "everything I want to do is illegal"
    Permaculture is in big trouble if regulators try to prevent integrated animal systems. If they try that I will be voting Marco for head of state.

7. greenfarmers

greenfarmers Junior Member

Awesome book Mark.

Loved his methods of avoiding the law by selling shares in live cows to people who wanted meat and the story of the lady who was caught selling "illegal" cheese, so she sold it as "fish-bait" cheddar and "fish-bait" colby because there are no regulations in the US governing the sale of fish-bait.

From memory he also wrote about how in the US at the time (2006?) they were encouraging feeding bovines with silage and meal mixed with poultry manure and carcasses to provide additional minerals -- all this after they announce they believe mad cow was caused by cows eating cows? Flies in the face of their own dogma ... interestingly he is more convinced by the Purdy theory which links the pesticides and heavy metals.

Salatin certainly inspires one to look outside the system for solutions .. helped by the fact that he is not a bad story teller.

Marco for head of state sounds like an improvement on the current situation anyway-- why wait!

Heidi

8. nsainsbury

nsainsbury Junior Member

There is no law against running a variety of stock. Pigs are not going to be eating manure if there is something better. Also, they are well known to eat flesh including indulging in cannabilism, so I do not see this as a problem. Maybe if all they ate was pig.

9. petershaw

petershaw Junior Member

I free range Bershire( Black Pigs) Rooting is a natural instinct and provides trace elements in their diet, My Pigs are also fed copious amounts of fruit and vegetable daily, which I get from a local Supermarket for free as it is not able to be sold,This diet alone will not provide the protien requirements and is supplemented with Barley and Vetch Hay which is first put through a hammer mill to crush it so it is more digestable.Feeding unmilled grains to pigs will not provide full benefit as it mostly goes straight through them.Pigs like other animals must have Protein and can be provided by high protein Grains such as Barley and Legumes and high protein hay such Vetch or Lucerne.....But it must be Milled There is a number of good books on the raising of Pigs....and info can be obtained from the Dept of Primary Industries in your state as there are some rules to prevent the spread of desease and animal welfare.........It is again'st the law in Australia to feed Pigs Animal Products such as flesh...or allow them to eat manure other than their own ( desease Prevention) Cannabalism is rare in free ranged pigs but often occurs in intensive piggeries........May I suggest people read the literature to prevent misconceptions....MONGREL FLAT BERSHIRE PIGS

10. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Thanks for your post petershaw and welcome to the forum. The info on milled hay is most helpful Where is mongrel flat? I'm due for a holiday.

11. petershaw

petershaw Junior Member

Mongrel Flat is Nth west of Bendigo, Victoria