Peter Cundall arrested at pulp mill protest - (Aust.)

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

[center:2cgfs79n]
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 747585.htm
    A video of the arrest here
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... site=local
    It must be the politest (and silliest?) arrest in history.
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/na ... 5799842329

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: Peter Cundall arrested at pulp mill protest - (Aust.)

Dare I say... "Good on him...''

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

I don't usually get angry, but when I saw Peter's beautiful face on the ABC News as he was being led away by a smirking cop, I saw red. What I saw is what is entirely wrong in this world. It made me want to rush to Tasmania and take his place on those 'steps of deceit'. Peter Cundall has done more in the defence of this planet than all of the Australian politicians put together. That he should be arrested on the steps of Parliament House (Hobart, Australia), is an outrageous disgrace to the so-called democracy that we must all labour under. We do not live in a democracy when people can be arrested just for voicing their opinion at the steps of the very place where those who are inside are free to voice theirs with impunity, and in so-called 'representation' of us, the very people that put them there! What Peter said (see the video at: https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 747585.htm) nearly had me in tears. That an 82-year-old eco-legend - who not only talks the talk but walks the walk - should put his body directly on the line in protest at what the Sate, and the capitalist pigs they are supporting, plan to do in the beautiful Tamer Valley (TAS, Australia), is the epitome of valour.

Peter, you have stood firm in your belief. You have served both under the English and the Australian flag in two theatres of war. You have inspired thousands of people to get out into their back yards and grow food. You have done us all proud. You, Sir, deserve another medal! Only after what the laws of this land did to you today, I doubt whether you would accept it. May the minions of the State treat you well, and may your actions bear the wonderful fruit of social and ecological liberty! I will be writing you a letter of support, and I urge all others to think about doing the same.

Solidarity, Mark.

4. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

...everything you said Mark is the very reason this arrest will make an impact. It will (Has) recieved news coverage, people will say... You have got to be joking... People will talk about this and the "Why'' behind it...

Will minds be changed by this... Maybe not, but it will make the B-Stads stand up and listen.

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

Not only is he an eco-warrior, he shows the ultimate in human dignity and respect for others, even his former captors. Here's what Peter had to say after being released:

Peter Cundall has movement restricted over protest
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 748151.htm

You enjoy your lunch on the waterfront, Peter. If they arrest you again, it will only make them (the corrupt State administration) look twice as foolish.

Solidarity, Mark.

6. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

Too right guys. Everything you've said is spot on.

Hopefully this has a great impact on stopping Gunns.

The irony isn't lost on me that they can legally arrest our wonderful Peter Cundall, yet the process of getting the legislation up for the pulpmill was so legally (and politically) corrupt.

I take it you've all heard the audio of the arrest. Peter was just so polite in accepting his arrest, and made his point so incredibly well.

Once again, On Ya Pete!!!

7. Dalzieldrin

Dalzieldrin Junior Member

the smart money says they will - (eg. look at the bloke doing the arrest: pleased as punch to have his picture taken with bloomin' fella himself!)

It isn't too much of a stretch to suggest that (at least part of) the reason he served under two flags was to ensure a future where, should he or any of his fellow citizens feel the need to challenge the authorities the result would be as we have witnessed, not a disppearance and/or summary execution.

good on him as a citizen for taking this stand, good on him for 'leveraging' his celebrity to lend greater impact that stand, but good on him and so many like him for having fought so hard to be able to even make this stand in the first place.

it may be his lot...but only for this week.

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I aspire to be more like Pete. He is a right proper legend, a gentleman and a pioneer. I give thanks to all that he has done for me, through his teachings and manner over the years, I reckon I learnt more from him than I did in my horticultural degree by a long way, because so much of 'it' is about attitude. I salute you Mr. Cundall!

9. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    The man is nothing short of a Living National Treasure.

Since when was protesting illegal in this country? Standing on the steps of parliament with a banner is now illegal? What country are we living in again?

Stick it right up 'em Pete (in the nicest possible way)

cheers

10. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

I heard Peter talking about the arrest on Melbourne ABC radio today. I'm sure he said it was a unique Tasmanian law, that doesn't apply elsewhere in Aust.

11. Michaelangelica

and asex god
    you should see the blue rinse ladies swoon over him at Garden shows!!
    They will not take kindly to this.
    I got sick of pete on gardening Australia> if he told me how to plant beans agin i promised to put my foot though the TV. then I heard him intervied and his experices of being one fof the first though the german Concentration Camps and. . . we;ll i changed my opinion.

Arresting Pete was a silly thing for the Bully Boys of Tas. Parliament to do. It gave National, and even some international, coverage for a demonstration of 50 people I now know the Pulp the Mill Group and that Tasmaina has laws that prevent you having brekfast-- most strange. There really is no where else to be in Hobart --especially on weekends-- than Salamanka Plce. I din't even notice that Parliament House was nearby.
    BTW There is a "Free Pete!" Facebook group yet no "Save Tamar Valley" one.

Personaly i think we should make paper in Australia and not ship woodchips and pollution offshore.
    I just think the Tamar Valley is just the wrong spot for one.

12. Michaelangelica

and asex god
    you should see the blue rinse ladies swoon over him at Garden shows!!
    They will not take kindly to this.
    I got sick of pete on gardening Australia> if he told me how to plant beans agin i promised to put my foot though the TV. then I heard him intervied and his experices of being one fof the first though the german Concentration Camps and. . . we;ll i changed my opinion.

Arresting Pete was a silly thing for the Bully Boys of Tas. Parliament to do. It gave National, and even some international, coverage for a demonstration of 50 people I now know the Pulp the Mill Group and that Tasmaina has laws that prevent you having brekfast-- most strange. There really is no where else to be in Hobart --especially on weekends-- than Salamanka Plce. I din't even notice that Parliament House was nearby.

Personaly i think we should make paper in Australia and not ship woodchips and pollution offshore.

13. Michaelangelica

and a sex god!
    You should see the blue-rinse ladies swoon over him at Garden shows!!
    They will not take kindly to this!

I got sick of Pete on Gardening Australia-- if he told me how to plant beans again I promised to put my foot though the TV. Then I heard him interviewed on radio and his experiences of being one of the first though the WW2 German Concentration Camps and . . . well I changed my opinion. I need to know more about beans.

Arresting Pete was a silly thing for the Bully Boys of Tas. Parliament to do. It gave National, and even some international, coverage for a demonstration of 50 people.
    I now know the Pulp the Mill Group, and that Tasmania has laws that prevents you having breakfast-- most strange?!
    There really is no where else to be in Hobart --especially on weekends-- than Salamanka Place. I didn't even notice that Parliament House was nearby.

Personally i think we should make paper in Australia and not ship wood chips and pollution offshore.
    I was also physically sick seeing old growth logs on the back of trucks while traveling though Tas. one year. One piece of a tree was bigger than the semi-trailer. There will be a"War Crimes" tribunal and a "Sorry" Ceremony. one day in the future, for this genocide.