how to get capsicum to germinate??

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sindhooram, Nov 16, 2009.

1. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

Hello, I am trying to make a permaculture garden in south India. After a really long rainy season with heavy rains and little chance to make anything grow, we are finally back into the planting.
    It's now the third time I've tried to get capsicum to germinate and they are not moving (not even one). I have tried different seed packets and they are fresh seeds that look undamaged, I've also tried with some seeds I saved but also no luck.
    Can anyone help as the packet says 10 -15 days to germination and it'snow much more than that.
    Do I need to plant them in some special way or presoak them? i never get problems with tomatoes or aubergine.

Best wishes to all and thank you...

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: how to get capsicum to germinate??

Get a coarse grade sandpaper and line the inside of a bottle out with it. Put the seed in the bottle, screw the lid on and give it a solid shake. This will a mild scarification of the seed surface. Plant out as usual.

I have heard of soaking the seed in water for 5 or 6 hours before planting, but i've never tried it.

If your only doing a dozen or so seeds you could rub each seed over a fingenail file for a second or 2.

High temperatures and humidity are also required to propogate successfully...

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I had similar trouble with bought seed.
    I think it may have been old.

Recently i threw all the seeds from a capsicum I was cooking into a plant-pot (using vermiculite sandwich on top of potting mix).I must have over 50+ seedlings now! God knows what i am going to do with them all.

4. peejay

peejay Junior Member

Are the seeds from a reputable supplier ?

Warm and humid is good for these seeds to aid in germination. Can you put a plastic bag over the top of the pot, or inside some sort of plastic tent ? Plastic soft drink bottle over the top of the pot, you will have to cut it a bit. Try a misting the seeds with a spray bottle. Don't let them dry out.

Few ideas for you.

5. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    In my experience capsicum takes ages to germinate, much longer than say, tomato.
    I've had capsicum seedlings just come up a couple of days ago and they were sown on 26th October, so that's three weeks, and last year they took longer. So stick with it and don't let them dry out for a minute, it is unlikely that all the seeds you have sown are unviable; moisture and patience should do it
    cheers

6. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

Hello, thank you for all the replies - the seeds are packed for 2009 so at least some should be viable. It's warm and humid here. I'll try the nail file trick and the soaking and also perserve with the ones already planted and see what happens.... I ordered some of my seeds from overseas so don't know if shipping may do some damage to them sometimes. Will also try again with a store bought capsicum - here only green ones are available but maybe it will work .

I am also trying some lettuce which is supposed to be heat tolerant.So far I have tried seeds from two packs (different varieties) and neither are germinating either. I'm thinking maybe the temperatures are inhibiting germination (then why are they called heat tolerant?) - although it's not that hot here at the moment.
    I'm wondering about putting them in the fridge overnight ??? anyone know about that?? I guess experimentation is the key but as I don't have that many seeds left I don't want to waste them.

Best wishes to all....Mere

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Heat is absolutely crucial to germinate capsicum, 26-30C (78-85F).

They also need a steady level of dampness, but if they are too wet, they will rot.

It can be very difficult to maintain these two conditions in the soil, so your best chances for success is to start them in a climate-controlled area, even if it's just a light bulb in a box. Cool night temperatures will inhibit germination.

Peppers also dislike bleach, salt, and acidic soils.

Sue

8. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. The puzzling thing for me about the lack of germination is that our climate should be ideal for that right now - temperatures are in the high twenties during the day and low twenties during the night and it is quite humid. I am keeping soil always moist without being soggy. Anyway I hope some of the ones I have now soaked will germinate and will post the result...
    Best wishes to all...

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Could be the seeds are sterile.

If you are growing from collected seed you could try fermenting them like tomato seeds. Would be the same process but you could a some capsicum skin/flesh to speed up the fermenting process.

In nature, fruit falls from the tree the fruit rots and the seeds germinate. The ideal way of getting seeds to germinate is to try and copy what nature intended.

10. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

Hello - yes the seeds may be sterile but it seems strange that two packets all are - I'm inclined to think that I'm doing something wrong but can't figure out what. Am trying out the scarification next. thanks for the tip about fermenting the fresh ones - the problem here that capsicums locally available are green and not sweet and I was really keen to get some red sweet peppers...will keep trying..
    best wishes Mere