USA keeps a lid on peak oil

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by ecodharmamark, Nov 10, 2009.

1. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Key oil figures were distorted by US pressure, says whistleblower

Watchdog's estimates of reserves inflated says top official

Terry Macalister guardian.co.uk, Monday 9 November 2009

The world is much closer to running out of oil than official estimates admit, according to a whistleblower at the International Energy Agency who claims it has been deliberately underplaying a looming shortage for fear of triggering panic buying...

https://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... rgy-agency

2. janahn

janahn Junior Member

Re: USA keeps a lid on peak oil

we may of course tell em to bite their ass

https://www.janahn.com.au

excuse me, i'm irish, and not well bred, "bite their arse"

3. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

I knew it!......as well as the bit about those bloody
    in denial yanks.
    ...but what about 'the Transition Movement'?.................I didn't even know about this mob before it hit the PRI site. They are certainly hip to Peak Oil.
    Are there any Transition Movement yanks?....have to be.

regards,
    Kimbo

4. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Out of interest..
    in 92-93 OPEC introduced a rule that member countries could only extract and sell oil according to how much they had in their reserves so naturally with little or no exploration the official reserves in every member country went up that year- i think Aust claimed an extra 40% and Saudi Arabia about the 160% mark.
    I honestly believe that if it were not for the global economic downturn we would be past $2 per litre petrol. (the 70s oil crisis occured when demand outstripped supply by 4% - before the downturn the world was capable of a 0.5% excess production - so it does not take much to cause problems)
    Ride to work and don't count on a job at the local servo!

5. sbrokvam

sbrokvam Junior Member

Transition USA has a large and active site at https://transitionus.ning.com/, where you can also find links to the many regional Transition Ning sites, one for pretty much every state in the US. There are also some active Transition Ning sites for other countries and regions, e.g. Europe, UK, NZ...

Many of the people in the transition movement, including Rob Hopkins (the founder), are also big time into permaculture. Rob Hopkins recently became a fellow at the Post-Carbon Institute, whose senior fellow is Richard Heinberg, so you're right they're definitely hip to Peak Oil.

6. Chief Cloudpiler

Chief Cloudpiler Junior Member

Transition in the U.S. will be next to impossible if the "Food Safety Act" makes it through the Senate. The House of Representatives has already passed their version. In this legislation, even grandma's backyard garden will be regulated as a "Food Facility" and grandma will have to have a permit and a food handlers license to grow her pumpkins. Where are the American People on this? It doesn't look like it matters.

7. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

you gotta wonder at americans huh?

ha ! the irony, the sweet sweet irony............

as a pot smoker i have long suffered prohibition....all the while loudly exclaiming the sheer injustice of it all..........
    " you wait till they make it illegal for you to grow tomatoes or other herbs, anything..........then you wouldn't be so complacent about this outragious legislation!!!"

and now, your government is going to have a go....(of the people, for the people?)..............

well,,good!...bring it on....this should make dissenters of more than a few folk, and that is good for the mix...
    "when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" viva la resistance!

if you want lessons in resistance, we have an entire subset of activists, and hardened dissenters, sleepers.........all online....free. this internet thing is good for that.
    regards,
    kimbo