Is Permaculture a Religion?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Michaelangelica, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

A Religion could be defined as:-

https://www.religioustolerance.org/rel_defn.htm

Of course there is the 100% tax deduction churches get on their businesses.
    Pass the peyote please.

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: Is Permaculture a Religion?

I don't know about a religion, but its my little piece of Eden...

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

i would say yes as it contains processes etc.,. that are done on a daily or even hourly basis, those changes to be more sustainable, so anything that is done religiously fits. but for the broader community if you mention religion they would automatically think otehr belief system.

len

4. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

i dont see permaculture as a religion, my 'religion' is islam, i am a muslim, and islam is really a 'way of life' rather than a religion, because islam isnt just prayers and belief in The God, islam teaches us how we should live, how we should behave, how we should deal with our families, our communities, the environment and our livestock.

permaculture is a method of sustainable living for individuals and communities, it is seperate from deities and worship, except whatever the individual adds in his space, for example as a muslim when i plant i say 'bismillah' which means 'with the name of The God' to put blessing into that and make it an act of worship, maybe other religious individuals would do similar, planting is permaculture, adding the supplication to it is religion.

if it was a religion, i would not be here.

5. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I am more inclined to think that way, abdulah, from a faith point of view. Though religion seems to have a more overall meaning of a collective of people with similar beliefs.

It can also mean the passion in which we do something... that being the case i am in the garden religiously.

If permaculture were to be called a religion, i would still practice it religiously. If one was to say it took the place of God / Allah I would continue growing my own vegies...

People can say anything they want... doesn't make it the truth or logic.

The old saying goes... When daylight savings begins, the cock will still crow the same time he always did. The hands on the clock will make no difference to him.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain

No I dont think Permaculture is a religion.I do think it is something that one can follow religiously, very easily because it allows for so many variables.
    I was surprised to find that my personal definition of religion was so close to that of the Islamic one.
    To me it is more of accepting responsiblity for the world we live on by firstly treating our own little patch well and in such a manner as to leave it in better shape than we find it which is as far as I've got with my personalizing this concept.
    I tend to look at things as how they are now and how I would like them to be then trying to work out how to get to the optimum in small easily manageable doses.
    To me religion is about ones personal journey in relationship to the universe and the creator of it.

7. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

According to those definitions, religions are based on belief and faith. Religion seems to involve things that are unknowable and spiritual.

Permaculture is based on science and observation, with more emphasis on things that are provable, testable, and practical.

The nice thing is, permaculture is compatible with all the major religions (and probably almost all the other religions too). Most religions have some concept of humans' responsibility for stewardship of the earth, fairness, restraint from over-exploitation, regard for nature, care for others, etc.

Even nicer is that you don't need religion to practice permaculture :).

8. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

Thank God for that hey

9. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    Religion is "faith" , they require faith as there is no proof or evidence for what they want us to believe in.
    Permaculture is evidence based, no-one needs to have 'faith' in it as the success of the system is evident; It would like saying I 'believe' in a table or something.
    Having said that zealots will get zealous about anything - which usually means becoming intolerant of people who don't share 'the faith'; and end up giving both religion and science a bad name. there's always one.
    cheers

10. Dalzieldrin

Dalzieldrin Junior Member

I could hug you

11. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

do we need a saint or two; martyrs?

Hello

it is a religion, at least the way I do it.........my problem has always been finding twelve good men.

regards,
    Kimbo