Tipping

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by butchasteve, Nov 1, 2009.

1. butchasteve

butchasteve Junior Member

Hi Guys,

i remember from my misspent youth that tipping of marijuana plants made them shoot 2 stems where there were one, creating a thicker shrub over time. Now a responsible citizen and long time away from that kind of gardening I use this method with my basil as it trys to seed, it works quite well..

Can you tip other plants to the same effect..

I have tried it on half of my tomatos, but noticed no new shoots as yet, just exponential growth of the existing leaves.

How about chillies, kaffir lime etc? is it advisable?

Have I ruined my tomatos?

Steve

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: Tipping

Tipping tomatoes is very common... a must do for some varieties. Its also a good idea to pinch out every second developing flower to encourage larger fruit. Too much, however and the ripening times will lengthen.

Same theory applies to shrubs as they are trimmed for hedges.

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day butcha

Concerning tomatoes: 'Pinching' out the laterals, and leaving just the 'leader' (and then on that one leader (or maybe three leaders, for 'Tiny Toms'), 'tipping' out each 2nd or 3rd shoot) will result in a bumper crop (particularly with larger varieties). Yes, once again, our friends at Gardening Australia have "Fact Sheets". You can decide for yourself what advice best suits you from the following examples (or, try searching for many more):

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2479166.htm

https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1480249.htm

https://digital.gardeningaustralia.com.a ... =texterity

Concerning 'pot'... :mrgreen:

Concerning 'natives': For those of us that grow indigenous plants around the 'home' zones, 'tipping' is well advised as it mimics the 'natural' process that occurs in the 'bush', which in the wild is normally undertaken by herbivores (roos, wallabies, etc.), and which gives 'natives' the incentive to produce more 'fruit' (nectar, pollen etc.), which in turn is ultimately good for nectariferous-dependent fauna (phew, that was a mouthful).

Cheerio to the 'tippers' of the world, Marko.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Hey Steve don't you just constantly tip your basil as you need it? I hope you don't wait until it looks big enough and then just harvest the whole thing? You can get heaps off one bush and when it really starts to wind down, just let the whole thing go to seed. That's what I do at least...

5. butchasteve

No I just tip the flowers to prevent seeding, seems a shame for a nice sized basil to die off just as it gets that big..

I don't harvest a whole lot, just the odd leaf for the odd sketti.. might think about making my own pesto at some point too, when the tomatos start producing, a tomato and basil pesto sounds nice.

6. toolworx

toolworx Junior Member

If you cook Rissole's then put a good handful into the mince (Chopped) and mix it with the mince before making the rissole's.
    or if you are cooking some meat on the BBQ or Pan use a sprig of basil to baste it with. it will get the basil flavors into the meat.
    happy cooking.

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

My Dad always used to remove lateral shoots from tomatoes to make them grow taller. I am not sure why
    I doubt if it would help chilli production.

My Kaffir Lime won't grow whatever I do.
    I am going to have to speak to it sternly
    (I always find a severe 'talking too' while holding an axe or machete sometimes helpful) :)

8. butchasteve

kaffir lime likes the tropics me thinks, my mate has a huge one grow here in brisbane. maybe a bit far south in Nth Sydney.

9. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hello all,

Steve,

Tipping tomatoes makes bush tomatoes go bushier. Pinching out laterals makes them go up.

If you do pinch out laterals off a tomato plant. Bung them straight in the ground, about a 90% strike rate but they seem to produce less fruit.

I tip my basil with scissors even if they have started to seed. Cut the seed stalks off, mince it well and spread it on a steel tray in the freezer. Once frozen put into a clip lock bag or jar. Still green and great 12 months later a HUGE improvement on the dried stuff.

cheers,

ho-hum

PS... let some basil flower - I have never seen a plant more loved by native bees and if you have - let me know.

10. toolworx

toolworx Junior Member

Thanks for that "Tip" Ho-hum. :mrgreen: I will have to try it this year.