tough cabbages with no heart

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by jayjay, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jayjay

jayjay Junior Member

I grew cabbages this year for the first time and was very disappointed with them. They grew OK very green and leafy but did not develop hearts. Also they were very tough and tasteless. I grew them in composted soil and raised beds and watered them monthly with seasol. I live in Central Victoria and we have had a mild winter, although we did get late frosts. Can anyone help? What have I done wrong? The variety I planted was Savoy King, grown from bought seedlings in April.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Regards
    JayJay

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Re: tough cabbages with no heart

Hello Jayjay
    I'll have a go at answering you problem.
    Cabbages need lots of water and tucker and consistently applied. It is when their growing is set back that they refuse to heart up. Well prepared beds is a good start but you need to follow that with consistent watering and some extra feeding of the soil with perhaps comfrey tea or worn casting tea or compost.
    This does not sit well in the perminance part of permaculture practice but it needs to be conceded that annual beds are required within the garden design and personal input will be required.
    good luck next time

3. ppp

ppp Junior Member

yeah, so maybe chop them up fine with spade, add manure and compost, and plant.. since it's coming up to summer, maybe try something that will like the heat, then cabbages again when it's cooler?

(depending on where you are of course)

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

Central Victoria should be ok but not savoy try sugarloaf

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day jayjay,

well for us up here we need ours in end of march into april, to get some growth happening, watering is regular as they are only seedling but once theya re growing we water them about once a week sometimes twice, don't understand why all the seasol?? we never use any fertilisers relying on decomposing mulch and kitchen scraps etc.,. the feed the medium.

would imagine too much fertiliser will grow foliage and upset head set. reckon your medum should have had nutrition plenty enough.

we do well with globe or drumhead cabbages they are the only ones that deliver a good amount of food from each plant, sugar loafs gow faster but not enough in their heads and to light a taste.

our late plantings may did no good as it got too hot early in august so they all got mulched, next year only early plantings and about 1 week apart.

so maybe mulch these ones in now and plant the sumer plants and plan your brassica plantings diffrently next year, ok march planting up here means watching out for the cabage moth but thems the prices hey?

len

6. jayjay

jayjay Junior Member

Thanks to all for the advice. I will try again next year following your suggestions and look forward to a much better crop,
    Thanks all,
    JayJay