What is the best way of getting a silly wasteful law changed

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Illegal Seed

What is the best way of getting this silly, wasteful law changed?

Every week Mr. Fothergill throws out hundreds if not thosands of packets of "out-of-date' seed. As you know most Oz products have a two year, or less, use-by date.
    With seeds this is probably not necessary as all that happens as the seed ages is you get asligly lower germination rate. (not with all seed varieties) If seeds are stored correctly or sealed in foil this deterioration can be slowed or often effectivly stoped.

I recently had reason to correspond with Mr Fothergills, the English seed company. I asked their sales manager if I could have some out-of-date seed for a proposed community garden
    They were helpful But i was shocked by part of the reply :-
    This is outrageous :!: This seed could help so many (schools, community gardens, disabled, therapy gardens etc) and would be good PR for Mr Fothergill too, if they helped by distributing old seed..

I have no connections with Mr Fothergil and I don't even have permission to tell you this.
    However this stupid law has to go.

How/
    What is the best way of attacking the pollies on this?
    Is it a State or Federal law?
    Is it the same in all Oz States?
    What happens in other parts of the planet? i can't imagine the Pommies putting up with this.

Can people in States, other than NSW, do some reseach for me and see what you can find out?
    Suggestions on how to attack this, and some help in doing it, would be appreciated.
    :bear:

2. ave a go

ave a go Junior Member

Re: What is the best way of getting a silly wasteful law changed

Just because they say it's illegal doesn't mean that it is....... It's just a good excuse, and truth be know they are just telling you that so you go away....

And if it is illegal, this person will have to be arrested - HUGE variety of out of date VEGETABLE & HERB seeds https://cgi.ebay.com.au/HUGE-variet...ulbs?hash=item53dcfe1b4d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

sounds like a giant furphy to me, not like seeds are food illegal what rot and if you do they fine you or throw you in jail and who does this? no it is all to cover overproduction and seeds sales as well as those who buy wholesale and sell seedlings, the bottom line. they could tear the top or bottom flag off where the use by date is(like they do with newspapers and magazines that are unsold), and send that back from the store for credit then give the seeds away even if to schools, but immediate result loss of sale of new seeds, the bottom line. over production the cancer of even our food growing regime.

len

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

A tried and true method of changing a law

get a phone book

get an email address of your local politician and the relevant minister

randomly select 40 or 50 names and addresses from the phone book and write an email on their behalf to each of the politicians, if you are really serious write to the opposition counterpart too. Make each email slightly different.

Tried this when Ros Kelly was a minister in the federal governemnt and worked a charm. I used an anonymiser that was freely available way back then, not sure whats availablenow fro anonymous email addies.

In retail, major manufacturers and retailers believe for every complaint they recieve there are 200 complaints that arent voiced.

Politicians work on a much higher ratio, maybe as much as one thousand to one.

So get those fingers working.

Another problem with fothergills is they are ruled by the European Parliament and their use by date system is by far the strongest in the world.

In australia it is a federal law and the minister for trade would probably be responsible - probably - they tend to pass things to and from each other if it is a bit tickly...... Simon Crean is the bloke - [email protected]

5. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Easy - just call them back and ask to have seeds that are just about to expire - say 1 week from expiry.

6. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Thanks Everyone
    I think it is not a lie. In fact Fothergills gave me a stack of in-date seed free.(I know where the bodies are buried ;) ).

I used to run a nursery and what happens is the Fothergill rep. comes around checks your seed stand re-stocks it and tears up all out of date packets on the spot, and credits the nursery for them.

Fothergils are one of the few seed merchants who realise that the seed is the cheapest part of their business.
    There is always 2x5 times more seed in their packs than Yates packs.

Thanks for the Politicing 101 Advice LOLOLOL :)
    You couldn't use that phone book strategy too often!!

Anyone work for government (or used to, or has a friend,. . .), who could check to see if this is a Federal or State law.

7. forest dweller

forest dweller Junior Member

It may not be illegal as such but they may have big problems with doing it.
    Consider the following points -
    * tax laws?
    * are the seeds going to a registered charity?
    * how do they decide who gets the seeds and who doesn't?
    * if the seed doesn't germinate, are they somehow liable? (sounds crazy but you know how modern lawyers work).
    * if the seed is used for a 'wrong' purpose are they at all liable? (eg: if someone was to eat the seed and its insecticide coating).

From their point of view it's just a giant can of worms. Business is paranoid of these kinds of problems these days.

8. Noz

Noz Junior Member

Find out where their garbage bin is and find out when they ditch the seeds :wink:

9. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

I have to agree that it looks like a stupid law. Surely seeds could show a "germination not guaranteed beyond (date)", or something, rather a hard and fast cut-off date?
    Before approaching anyone to have a law changed, we need to know exactly which law needs to be changed, chapter and verse. I had a look around for legislation that might cover what you're looking for. Maybe it's in the Trade Practices Regulations 1974: https://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legisla ... 7E00209510 If anyone has the patience to go through it. Good old Google! I'll keep looking.

10. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

incinerator

11. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Good God, please lets not become the USA.

If this is the way we're going, please everyone revolt! Lets get things fixed and functional again!

Viva la permaculture

12. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

Let the mighty nation rise eh gbell? 8)

13. pumpkin

pumpkin Junior Member

I have had great success with out of date seed in the past when I have come across an old packet lurking in the shed. The latest Bloomsdale Spinach was magnificent - planted in late 2008 from 2006 dated seed. I over seeded half a winebarrel with the seed just to see if I would have any luck and the whole 1/2 is packed to the brim with spinach.

There are a number of ways you can try:

- approach your local MP first to write to the Prime Minister or the relevant minister on your behalf (carries more weight that way -sad but true)

- MEDIA... MEDIA...MEDIA - the reality of our political system is sometimes an issue has to become well known or public before they will act even it is one of the awful ACAs or Today Tonights

- write to various food charities, community gardens, Gardening Australia producers, Greenpeace (you name it) to solicit a campaign to get the law changed

The first thing I should have written was to always have your facts straight - make sure you know what the law entails in Australia before approaching anyone. I would guess that the law is as he has stated given government's role in food protection duty of care and to prevent unethical practices developing in big corporates. But it is a waste.

14. forest dweller

forest dweller Junior Member

Hate to tell you this but we are already there. NSW is the second-most litigious state in the world after California.