Introduction.

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Boomstick, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Boomstick

Boomstick Junior Member

Greetings.

I'm a 24 year old jobless guy from the South American region (Chile to be more precise) who found out about permaculture a couple of years ago on a Documentary about a punk band and honestly didn't pay much attention to it.

Some time after that I went broke. I had no money couldn't find a job no matter how hard I looked and there wasn't any food at my house.

Starvation made me realize that I might need another way of living and feeding myself. I live with other two people (family) in my house and they probably won't care about this subject (I know them well so... no chances of changing their minds) but I want to be more independant from now on and since I can't find a job there might be plenty of time to learn this right.

However there are two huge issues I have right now which are:

1) I just can't stand feces (human, animal, whaterver). The sight of it makes me sick! :?

2) I'm broke therefore at this moment I only have less than a dollar. Is it possible to learn how to do this without attending one of those expensive seminars about the subject (I've found a few here in Santiago, but it's too expensive for me).

So those are my doubts at the moment, I just want answers so that I don't end up wasting time and the little money I have in something I won't be able to accomplish at the end.

2. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

Re: Introduction.

going hungry is very bad.
    having no money isn't so bad if you've got some stuff to get along.
    the stuff you need to get along probably is growing down the road.....do you have Acacia species?

(if you can't answer this; why not spend time (which you have) learning what trees are about.
    from there you may discover what seeds, flowers and roots you can eat.
    collect the seeds, grow the stuff, learn how to prepare it,,,,and that is permaculture man, free. Don't pay to learn someones 'way'. there is no way,,,just do it.

Even if you don't grow anything; the knowledge I have described could identify where nature has food for you.
    Rare knowledge lost to todays people maybe; ask the old ones - what did you eat grandmother?

Learn new foods. Identify new resources - do you have insects, do you have light?...can you use light to bring insects at night?...some you might eat, some you could feed to a duck and eat the eggs or the duck. Re-look at everything to see what you and everyone else misses....there is lots of this, everywhere.
    Hussle bro., hussle.....it is a game, and when you loose you go hungry,,,with permaculture you might not loose as much and you might find a load.

stay strong, good luck,
    regards, Kimbo

3. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

I worked with many people from Chile when I was still living in Victoria . Very tough being a University lecturer and having to work in a rubber factory . Lots of dictators and political troubles in many of the South & Central America countries .
    BUT so much land and such a diversity of food crops .
    Cannot agree with Kimbo enough , ask ?? there should be so much you can learn ..
    consider going out to the country if you are living in the city .

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Don't call it faeces. Organic soil improver sounds much more like something you'd want to shove your hands into!

Could you sign up for something like WWOOFers? Get a bed and food in return for working on someone's organic farm and learning from them?

5. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    I am thankful that I have never felt hungry for long, and sorry that you are so familiar with it.
    Don't spend your money on a course, you have access to a computer so use that.
    Kimbo's advice is good.
    The old people are the ones with the good information.
    Seeds are the key, buy seed packet if you have to then grow, then save the seed. Save seed from fresh foods like tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, beans etc.
    Gardens do change people, they liberate and empower you as well as feed.
    Try to become more faeces friendly, it's helluva useful stuff!
    Keep posting on this forum when you need more info and advice.
    good luck
    cheers

6. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

I am certain there would be some amazing different fruit trees from the highlands of Chile that you could learn about .
    The Lucuma Pouteria obovata from Peru is a little known fruit that would grow easily in temperate climates in Australia .
    Very little of it in the country , most of it here is really just a form of Canistel Pouteria campechiana

I for one would gladly pay for seeds of unusual fruits or vegetables if they are allowed to be imported .
    It could be a profitable little business.

7. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Dear Chilean Friend

Go WWOOFing!

https://www.wwoofchile.cl/

Too hungry to make it to your first WWOOF host?

Go dumpster diving!

https://www.wikihow.com/Dumpster-Dive

About the 'poo' (faeces) thing... desensitise yourself by 'having a look' each time you 'take a dump'. There is not a single living animal on this planet that does not 'do it'. Your human brothers and sisters - 6.75 billion of us - each do it at least once a day (on average). Every conversation I have with someone concerning the topic of sustainability (and invariably this turns into a conversation about permaculture) contains at least some discussion around 'shit' (faeces).

A wise person once said, "Life is full of shit, so stop rolling in it and make compost".

Good luck on your journey, M.

8. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

Hiya, broomstick. Have a look around your local area at public and private gardens. Where plants are going to seed, scavenge some. Ask your neighbours to give you some, to help you on your way to a home garden. Join a library, perhaps find a community garden where you can offer labour and reap vegetables. Rear some chickens or geese or ducks if you have the space. WWOOFing is great as a way of gathering knowledge and being fed at the same time. Maybe find an elderly neighbour getting past his/her ability to do the hard gardening who you can learn from who can repay you in kind with produce... good luck. Let's know how you get on. Trish

9. Boomstick

Boomstick Junior Member

Wow... thank you everyone for your answers and support, truth is I thought I had gone unnoticed on this site and now went back to check out of curiosity.

I have no idea which type of trees grow in the place I live, will look onto it.

And as for wwoof... I'm checking right now, I hope it works out though.

Thank you everyone for the words, I'll let you know if anything happens. :)

10. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

WWOOF can cost a bit to join .. maybe more than you can afford .
    There should be a way for locals to support and learn from WWOOF'ing without the membership fee that we relatively wealthy foreigners can afford .

11. Boomstick

Boomstick Junior Member

Yeah I just saw that fee thing and nope I can't afford it. :?

And honestly I don't get along with the neighbourghs, here in Chile everyone is pretty much isolated from each other so we don't have that kind of "community" relationship. Only when it's gossip, besides they're probably more clueless about the place they live in than I do. And my grandparents are both dead so I can't get any knowledge from them.

Also I don't like the idea of dumpster diving that much so I won't go for it.

12. julia

julia New Member

Hi there,

I think you shouldn't give up. I'm sure that you'll get an idea pretty soon and everything will be absolutely fine.

Good luck!
    Julia