Patrick Whitefield's books

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by WolfJag, Jun 14, 2009.

1. WolfJag

WolfJag Junior Member

Hello everybody,
    I'm considering buying Patrick Whitefield's books "The Earth Care Manual" and "How to Make a Forest Garden". Has anybody here read both books? Would it be redundant to buy the two books, as what's covered in the 1996, 256 pages "How to Make a Forest Garden" might also be covered in the more recent (2004), 480 pages "The Earth Care Manual"? Or, on the other hand, both books actually complement each other?
    (I guess that buying the 1993 "Permaculture in a Nutshell" as well would be overkill...)
    Cheers!

2. WolfJag

WolfJag Junior Member

Re: Patrick Whitefield's books

So nobody has a comment on Patrick's books? Should I mulch them???

3. Salkeela

Salkeela Junior Member

:shock:

Nooooooooooo!

Hi WolfJag.

I have his books and think very highly of them. The Earthcare Manual is excellent and quite UK orientated which is of course good for me here in N.Ireland. I am going on one of his courses in July (with my daughter) and greatly looking forward to it.

I also bought the Forest Garden book and think there is probably a degree of overlap - but I haven't got both out to look see. The EC manual is a text book really, as you can probably tell from the price. The Forest Garden book is smaller and easier to just dip into. Probably an easier read too. I don't have PC in a Nutshell.

EC manual is money well spent in my opinion.

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

I've had both from the library but also can't remember how much overlap sorry. I wouldn't bother with Nutshell, it's very basic, an introduction really.

5. WolfJag

WolfJag Junior Member

Thanks, guys.
    I was interested in the EC Manual mostly because it verses on the UK climate, which is not that different from the one we experience here in Northern Portugal. Than again, so does the Forest Garden, hehehe! I was also thinking about ordering Gaia's Garden, as someone on this forum has this book on highly regards...