Aust economy for the next few years...

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by springtide, Jun 4, 2009.

1. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Below is a link for a book promo by Harry Dent - now i would't give the book a plug here but the promo is a good prediction of things to come in Aust. and i think we willl try to sell this place towards the end of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mfgsmsN3A&feature=channel

Just thought i should share this.

2. Tim Auld

Tim Auld Junior Member

Re: Aust economy for the next few years...

He's half of the way there mentioning deflation, but it's not the whole story. There may yet be hyperinflation once the unsustainable funding of US public debt expires and the Fed ramps up its money printing. This will definitely show up in gold (the uncorruptible currency) which he says will go down in price, while other inflated assets continue to deflate. Note that China is buying a lot of gold to diversify away from the dollar. He doesn't mention resource constraints (esp. energy), so while he's right that this isn't an ordinary recession and Australia's biggest problem is our real estate bubble, his expectation of a recovery at some point is typical.

Some references for more complete analysis:
    https://theautomaticearth.blogspot.com/
    https://www.chrismartenson.com/
    https://energybulletin.net/

3. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

So give it to me straight, Is this the Collapse of the money system that I have spent much of my life anticipating and planning for - or not.

Of course a bloke could be forgiven for getting excited given the build up, the hype, the banner 'Global Economic Crisis'....and if one likes his conspiracies he could be be quite beside himself with anticipation (club of rome, flying saucers?),,,the collapse of the money system, the death of capitalism (beta version), exposure of the fraud that is neo liberal, free market economics.. ..the sorts of things hippys have been betting on since jesus wore shorts.

I'm confused and remain employed - meanwhile I research Jack Lang and Curtin, keeping my fingers crossed. At least please, let there be the greatest depression.
    I am the seagull that awaits your chip,
    regards, Kimbo

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

:lol: I reckon you might just be one of a flock of seagulls kimbo

5. springtide

springtide Junior Member

There are so many people out there predicting a fast crash in society from oil or money or food - etc but i cant see it happening - even in the great depression there were lots of homeless but police were out n about and the street lights still came on at night - people have a lot of faith in the system and this will keep it running for years - countries will bankrupt themselves for the system. You could get out at any stage - to any extent and still be better off. Or stick around and do fine - provided you leave a foot in the door. I believe it is easier to put that foot in the door now as we are going to need very expensive shoes to do it in the comming years.

give us all 15 years and we will say "of course! i knew that would happen!"

6. Wyche

Wyche Junior Member

Hello, I am new here. I listened to Mr. Dent for for a minute, while I googled his name. What I heard, has been explained by The Austrian School of Economics, since the beginning of the 20th century. Check out Mises.org, it is free, named for Ludwig von Mises, an economist who disagreed with big govenment. Maybe thats why his theories are not taught in school.
    Yeah, the market has been pillaged and now it is trying to correct itself(Kinda like the soil I guess). I don't know about Australia, but the U.S. will be monitizing its losses soon, when China and the rest of the world cuts our credit(which caused this unsustainable boom/bust) off. Inflation will rise alot, which encourages saving money and resources:>. Things will get tough for most people, but there are things we do now while our money is still worth something, prepare. (thesurvivalpodcast.com, is where I first heard of Permaculture)
    I think many people everywhere are waking up to this leviathan state of consumption that we live in(I mean state in a literal and figurative sense). The coming contraction of the global economy, I feel, is a slap in the face of general populace to wake up from its consumptive coma and take care of its resources.
    Anyway, I am glad to have found this place and am looking forward to many discussions and idea sharing sesions on Permaculture and various topics that affect us all.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Welcome to the forum!

8. kimbo.parker

Re: Aust economy for the next few years...g'day Wyche

g'day Wyche,
    welcome :D
    what a great way to hear about Permaculture, and a solid foundation to explore permaculture. i find it empowering as it gives us measurement and scrutinization techniques to better see through the group think and thus position ourselves to be more resilient than the masses.
    Still, it isn't the tool, it is the wielder.
    I look forward to your future posts mate.
    regards, Kimbo

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

If we live by the economy, we are controlled by the economy.

Just turn the tellie off and stop buying the newspaper... Economy fixed.

Negative in... Negative out!

10. Wyche

Wyche Junior Member

Also, in a shinking economy, people who are able to produce are more valuble. We, in the U.S., have been deindustrialized, similar to Argentina. This was done to keep the mass produced goods flowing. Our economy is now all on paper and can and is being pillaged. Alot of stores are closing in the U.S., because of malinvestment during this unsustainable boom. I used to hear the old guys in the billiard hall saying "fast money, goes fast". I guess they were right. Credit should come from unused savings(surplus or yield). You don't lend out money you don't have. You don't borrow without the ability to repay. this what we have done and our governments have done. This was done under the assumption that prices would never fall or at least they would never fall in all markets at the same time.

11. Wyche

Wyche Junior Member

We are the ecomomy!

12. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I would say we are a society of people with wants & needs that have to be met. WE are only the economy in the collective.

13. Wyche

Wyche Junior Member

I guess the question is "who" supplies those needs and wants and at what cost?
    I agree with you. I would like to remove myself and my family from our ecomomy and set up a village of sorts, where we could live without much money. This takes money though. So now I just work, save, apply permaculture where I can and plan to get some land. Also, enjoy my life while I am at it.

14. kimbo.parker

re; Wyche and Milifestyle, thoughts on 'we' the economy.

I reject this. 'Them' the economy I feel is more accurate. The notion that you can't get out need not be hamstrung by language concerning 'levels'.

The cost of 'getting out' of the money system is directly proportional to your position in it. Debt minimization and reversing consumptive practises propels one along the path.

Economics works on the premise that we are all greedy little pigs that will not take their snouts out of the trough even when they have had enough..their is no enough. Bailing from the economic rationale is as simple as saying 'bugger that' and stepping out: one step at a time, by degrees.
    Do it for years, let it drive you the way material wealth drives others and I reckon you can get out.

regards, Kimbo

15. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

My view is this...

We no longer live in a society - we live in an economy (except for kimbo perhaps :wink: ). Historically as the Economy strengthened, Society and community began to weaken. People gradually morphed into a 'Human resource', much like any other resource the economy consumes, rather than warm bodies that we know and love.

I reckon that when we return to treating people as our friends, neighbours and members of our community (rather than a resource) the strangle-hold of Economy will diminish and once again we will be human-beings living in a Society. :D

I was just reflecting today on how there is very little that is done these daze that the doer doesn't expect to be paid for. People have actually come to believe that 'time is money' - you can't go around wasting it doing stuff for people for free! out of the goodness of your heart! Goodness gracious what nonsense that would be :lol:

16. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Hi Grahame,

I think the society still exists. Most have just forgotten what it means... or were born to an "economic thought pattern".

Kimbo,

I guess we are all a "them" to someone...

In your offering "them the economy" to a large scale agricultural farmer it might be, "them the permaculturalists".

17. Wyche

Wyche Junior Member

We are the economy and more. The fruit of our labor is stolen. It is ours and they steal it. We let them. No, we are not resources. I hate that word applied to living things. The industrialists thought that mass produced goods would satisfy all of our needs, they were wrong. I just want disappear sometimes. It seems that most people are in this cynical fog of unbelief. Wanting change that doesn't change anything and attacking anything that just might. The U.s. Congress is getting ready to vote on a bill, co-written by Monsanto, that will put most organic farmers out of business or force them to use GMO seeds and pesticides. Here goes my government trying to make me safe again and wiping out compition at the same time. Is this story anywhere in the state controlled media? No, I found it on the internet. Which they want to shut down in the U.s., again to make us safe. I know it isn't just here. What are they doing in Australia, in reaction to the financial crisis?

Seeds in a can, in my pantry, just in case they get outlawed.
    Great website by the way, seedsinacan.com, really, non-hybrid seeds sealed in a can. Cool huh..

18. kimbo.parker

hello all;

Wyche,
    Monsanto are conducting GM 'trials' at several sites throughout wheatbelt western australia
    We are talking roundup ready canola - with 'buffer strips' 100m wide.

to stop the evil monsanto genetic demon mutant from invading the country side...this is not the government doing what I want. There is a small vocal oposition that gets dick in the way of publicity from the mass media.

i guess it is a walkover,,,Wyche, most aussies are really dumb bastards - they are into footy - if you are into issues you get in the road of footy. the newspaper will flog the same footballer drama ad infinitum but the dumb masses fat and fulfilled don't give a shit.
    So as far as a statement 'of the resistance' (for posterity): it was small, pathetic and hasn't burnt crops (yet).

shame shame shame (madness)
    and what about monsanto's bovine growth hormone, bastards have poisoned the US milk supply. ,,,and come to think of it 'I don't know if this gear is used in the aussie dairy industry - I milk so can afford to be ignorant of such nuances.....(youtube has a beaut vid on topic).

regards, Kimbo

19. Wyche

Wyche Junior Member

I am lucky that we have a local dairy that provides us with hormone free milk in awsome refundable glass bottles. I wouldn't give my daughter milk otherwise. I also have a local healthfood grocery store that has local hormone/steroid/antibiotic free meat and they call my wife when they have an animal slaughtered. But not if our government has anything to say about it and they are not listening to us. I am hoping to be able to provide these things for myself soon.

20. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Hi all, just thought to add that a similar house down the road sold for similar prices to mid last year and things are alligning themselves to sell up and move out - now just have to find a block.