How should I get started in permaculture?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Lei Wu, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Lei Wu

Lei Wu Junior Member

Hi I've been interested in permaculture for a while, I've decided to go into it seriously. I live in China, my long-term goal is to help creating a permaculture project in China. I wonder what everyone's experience has been like learning and working on projects (I've never worked on the land before), and what would you recommend me to get started - a PDC course, diploma, internship and volunteering etc.. ?

Thanks

Lei

2. cjwardle

cjwardle Junior Member

Re: How should I get started in permaculture?

Dear Lei,
    There are no doubt many wiser heads who could advise you on this, but I thought as a relative 'newbie' to Permaculture, perhaps it may be helpful to share my own experience.
    After much personal reading about Permaculture, I joined a PDC offered by the Nepal Permaculture Group in June/July of last year.
    This has been followed-up with applying the techniques learned to the small suburban block owned by by wife's family in Quetta, Pakistan.
    My beloved and I returned to Nepal to do a four-month internship with a very experienced organic farmer late last year, which was a wonderful experience.
    Now we're back in the home garden Quetta, but are trying to interest people in the remote North-East of Balochistan by some small-scale demonstration work.
    Hope this may be of some assistance and all the best for the adventure ahead.
    Salaams from Pakistan,
    Chris Wardle.

3. gregips

gregips Junior Member

Dear Lei
    I would consider coming to China to teach a PDC feel free to email me at [email protected]

best regards
    Greg Knibbs

4. Hamishmac

Hamishmac Junior Member

Lei,

If you need a contribution of seeds that you have difficulty getting locally, and Chinese customs don´t object, I´d be happy to order an extra pack or two next time I put in an order, or gather a few from the garden, and post them on as a prezzie to help you get started. Let me know if anything specific comes to mind.

Best of luck.

Hamish

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Lei :)

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

One way of getting started in permaculture is to WWOOF with permaculture-inspired hosts.

You can visit WWOOF China here: https://www.wwoofchina.org

Good luck with your journey.

Cheerio, Mark.

6. Lei Wu

Lei Wu Junior Member

Thanks so much for everyone's reply. I really appreciate all the advice you gave.

As I'm now just starting to get into permaculture, there are many things to think through. I've also been asking around to try to find a piece of land to develop a potential project. I'll let you guys know when I need of more help and advice on a project in the future.

Thanks

Lei

7. hozzy

hozzy Junior Member

There are not a ton of Permaculture sites in East Asia, but there are a few. I believe that the best way would be to jump right in. I would highly recommend going to project nearby China. You will see what will work best for that climate. Saying that, China is a huge and there are a ton of different climates in China. The Panya Project in Thailand would be a good place to start, often there are a PDC during the busy time (dry season), building internships and is a great place to learn how to do a ton (they let you learn just about anything as long as you are willing to put in the time there).