Chook predators in Melbourne near Dandenongs?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by plaxy, Apr 16, 2009.

1. plaxy

plaxy Junior Member

Hi all,
    I am just setting up my garden Woodrow style with a small chook dome. I'm wondering what predators chooks may face in Melbourne east, so I can fine tune the design. Can anyone advise?
    Many thanks
    Plaxy

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Re: Chook predators in Melbourne near Dandenongs?

Plaxy,

I would think in Melbourne the big issues would be the neighbour's dogs and some cats. If you are lucky enough to be attacked by a childrens python or a tiger quoll I would consider that a bonus.

A lot of cats think it is cute to lounge on top of such structures and they seriously stress the birds. The major issue though would be dogs.

cheers,

3. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

Don't discount foxes, either, especially if you are near some open land that supports rabbits. T

4. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

trishandpete,

Well spotted. I had forgotten that foxes manage quite well in some suburban areas.

5. plaxy

plaxy Junior Member

Thanks for those responses. We should be okay with dogs and cats as we have a dog of our own and I'm hoping that will deter any foxes from sneaking in too.
    Plaxy

6. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I once saw a young fox, very early one morning in very Inner-City, Balmain Sydney.

if there is way into your chook pen a fox will find it.

Use a fine bird wire as Foxes hypnotise chooks and bite their heads off if they poke them though the wire.

Having a big pet dog out at night may help.

7. plaxy

plaxy Junior Member

Hmm, our dog sleeps under the house and may well miss the whole show - I was hoping just his smell would deter a fox, and the same goes for cats for that matter. I'll go with the bird wire then. Someone else said that using bird wire instead of chicken wire had been a mistake for them but didn't state why - any idea?

I've been reading everyone's posts about chook domes (what an awesome resource this is!) and now I have a few more questions - about size (my plan is for a 1.91 meter diameter base using just one 6m length); un-eco-friendliness of PVC; bendier, thinner guaged pipe if I do stick with PVC (so I can get smaller circles); and probably more - should I start a new topic for all that?

Many thanks,
    Plaxy
    (new here, obviously)

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Make sure the fox cannot dig under the wire.
    Some people make nice moveable enclosures -see the 'chooks" thread. You can hire them I think. This would give you ideas for building your own

Chooks are abit like solar panels you don't have them for the money you save.

9. Luisa

Luisa Junior Member

Foxes will be your biggest threat, they thrive in the suburbs, it is where their nos. are highest, and you will not eradicate them as there are so many others looking to move in if you do get rid of one. Neighbours semi-feral dogs rate the next highest threat. Cats are a non-entity by comparison, although I did have a bantam hen taken once years ago. Then birds of prey and the occasional snake.

I suspect the original Woodrow design would be quite robust but many people seem to make them 'close enough' and don't realise that those minor variations will reduce the effectiveness. If I had to use a dome I would go for either a wire floor or wire skirt two foot wide laid around the perimeter and anchored to the ground.

Chooks are small tasty morsels and Michaelangelica is right - you don't look to have them for saving money. They are undoubtedly useful for working the ground but can have high attrition rates if you're not very careful. Personally I prefer to a have a fixed predator-proof shed and take the food to the chooks and collect the waste and take it to the garden. I am not convinced it's more work than moving a dome around and rearranging the skirt, but if you are using them for ground preparation they need to be on-site. Depends on what work you want them to do for you and what you're willing to do to get them there.

10. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

cats

and possibly dogs

unless you are near a nature area or creek or river system - then foxes will be a problem

hawks may be a worry??