Win $20,000 to Put Your Green Idea Into Action.

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Michaelangelica, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Win USA$20,000 to Put Your Green Idea Into Action

https://greeneffect.nationalgeographic.com/
    SunChips and National Geographic have joined forces to create the Green Effect, an initiative to inspire people to take small steps for big change.

We'll award $20,000 each to five people or groups that have compelling ideas for green change in their communities.

Online voters will choose one winner, and a panel of judges will select the remaining four.

What could YOU do for the planet with US$20,000?

Learn More »

Contest Rules »
    Frequently Asked Questions

SunChips® brand and National Geographic believe in the power of the Green Effect. If each of us takes one small step to make our community greener, we can create big change for our planet. To get the movement started, we're awarding $20,000 grants to five people or groups—such as a Scout troop, green club, parents organization, or church group—with compelling ideas for green change.

Submit your green idea between April 22 and June 8, 2009. On July 7, 2009, we'll post ten finalists, chosen by a panel of judges against the judging criteria outlined in the Official Rules. Each of the ten finalists will receive a Flip video camera.

The ten finalists' entries will be rejudged by a new judge panel and online voters. Online voters will choose one winner, and a panel of judges will pick the remaining four. All five winners will each receive $20,000 to be used to implement their green idea.

Q: How do I submit my idea?
    A: You can submit your idea from April 22 to June 8, 2009, at greeneffect.nationalgeographic.com/submit.

Q: How do I know you've received my entry?
    A: After submitting your idea, you'll see a page confirming that we received your entry. You'll also receive an email to that effect.

Q: I didn't receive a confirmation email. Why?
    A: Some ISPs (Internet service providers) commonly install email filters that block or filter emails sent from unknown addresses. If you have a "junk mail" box, check to see if that's where the email landed. If you've installed software to monitor your email, make sure your settings aren't causing your emails to get blocked. The emails that we send come from [email protected].

Q: How many ideas may I submit?
    A: Each person or organization may submit one idea.

Q: Do I have to upload a video or photos?
    A: Only an essay is required with your entry. While not required, you may also submit up to four photographs and/or one video to help describe your green idea, if you wish.

Q: If I decide to submit photos or a video, do they need to be professional quality?
    A: No, your photos or video do not need to be professional quality.

Q: When will my entry be posted?
    A: Entries will be posted once they are reviewed for inappropriate content.

Q: The submission period is almost over and my entry has not been posted. Why?
    A: If our reviewers decide that your entry contains inappropriate content, as outlined in the rules, it may not be posted.

Q: How will my entry be judged?
    A: Entries will be judged by an independent judging agency on the following equally weighted criteria:
    • Alignment with SunChips brand's philosophy of "Small steps add up to meaningful progress and positive change" (up to 25 points);
    • Perceived benefit to the environment (up to 25 points);
    • Perceived impact on the local community (up to 25 points); and
    • Perceived feasibility/use of prize funds (up to 25 points).
    Ten finalists will be determined (between June 9 and July 6, 2009) by the highest cumulative points for all criteria awarded by the judges. The finalists' entries will be posted on https://www.greeneffect.com. The judges will choose four winners, and online voters will pick the fifth winner.

Q: When will the winners be announced?
    A: The winners will be announced on or about July 21, 2009.

Q: How will I be notified if I win?
    A: Finalists and winners will be notified by phone, mail, and/or email.

Q: Will I be notified if I don't win?
    A: No, you will not be notified if you are not selected as a finalist or a winner.

Q: Can my group or organization enter?
    A: Yes, organizations or groups that are located in any one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia are eligible to enter. The person entering on behalf of the group must be 18 years or older and a legal resident of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.

Q: I'm not a U.S. resident. Can I enter?
    A: The Green Effect contest is open only to legal residents of any one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia.

Q: I'm younger than 18 years old. Can I enter?
    A: The person entering the contest must be at least 18 years old. Parents may enter on behalf of their children, but the parent will be considered the entrant and will receive the grant money if his or her idea is selected.

Q: Will my entry be seen online?
    A: Some or all of the submitted ideas will be posted online at greeneffect.nationalgeographic.com/entries. Each of the ten finalists' submissions will be posted at greeneffect.nationalgeographic.com.

Q: What rights does Frito-Lay have to my submission?
    A: Frito-Lay, Inc, has the right to copy, publish, broadcast, display, distribute, use, edit, translate, alter, combine with other material, reuse, and adapt any or all portions of the submissions in any way and for any purpose whatsoever, at any time, now or in the future, in any media whatsoever and for any purpose.

Q: Can I edit my entry once it has been submitted?
    A: You cannot edit or delete your entry once it has been submitted.

Q: What Web browser should I use?
    A: For the optimal experience, you must use one of the following Web browsers, with JavaScript turned on: Internet Explorer 6.0, 7.0 (Windows), Firefox 3.0 (Mac and Windows), and Safari 3.0 (Mac only).
    - ADVERTISEMENT -

SunChips' Green Story »

Contest Opens April 22
    Send Me a Reminder » :D

2. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

Re: Win $20,000 to Put Your Green Idea Into Action.

"The Green Effect contest is open only to legal residents of any one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia"
    so why is this on an Australian list?

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Re: Win $20,000 to Put Your Green Idea Into Action.

Because we haven't managed the genocide of the Yanks yet. don't worry we are working on it. :D especially pesky are the ones from florida and Hawaiii they often think they know more than we do. and the evil, moderating, wizard 9andlf in Seattle, the less said about that the better :!: 8)

Pommies and all sorts lurk in the darker recesses here. They all think the WWW, is.[​IMG]

I didn't notice, sorry, got carried away.
    Maybe you could suggest a similar competition here, although we all live on one, little, damp planet

See the solar cooking oven and the roof cooling tiles, both inventions that could have been made here and just walked away with 75,000 English pounds.