Re: Dwarf Heritage Fruit trees or grafting rootstocks..

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by sami, Apr 10, 2009.

1. sami

sami Junior Member

Hi all
    I want to grow heritage fruit trees on my small property, so I am interested in dwarf trees/and or espaliering them.
    Mostly I want my two children (18months and 4 weeks old) to eat real food!!
    Last year I missed out on buying the fruit trees (finances) and this year I am ready, and have found one mail order nursery in Tasmania which had all the trees I wanted, grafted onto dwarf rootstock, but now only 2 weeks later, they are out of stock of the ones I want!!

I would be very grateful if anyone has information on WHO SELLS DWARF HERITAGE FRUIT TREES - pears and stonefruits in particular, as I already have bought most of my apples this year -
    Or even INFORMATION ON GRAFTING - Do you know of where to find rootstock for grafting onto? Especially the rootstocks you can graft more than one type of fruit onto?
    Thanks all for your time
    Samantha

2. sami

sami Junior Member

Re: Can u help with info-Dwarf Heritage Fruit trees or grafting?

No-one knows anyone??

3. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: Can u help with info-Dwarf Heritage Fruit trees or grafting?

bob mangus in tasmania - but he's probably the one who's sold out - - everything he sells goes so quickly - - you could try ordering now for next year??

4. sami

sami Junior Member

Yes, I have tried Woodbridge trees in Tasmania, but they are sold out of many of the trees I am after.
    When you say "Bob Magnus", I assume you are talking about Woodbridge??
    I am starting to think I will try my hand at grafting, and have purchased the book "Budding and Grafting" over the internet, still waiting for it to arrive.
    I would like to find rootstocks for pears and apples, preferably dwarfing ones.. Does anyone know about that?

5. pumpkin

pumpkin Junior Member

When I was looking for dwarf heritage apples I also found thee two links:

https://www.heritagefruittrees.com.au./
    https://www.appletrees.com.au/index.htm

They appear to use dwarfing rootstock although a different one to Woodbridge I think. I have not used either so cannot comment on quality or service - I was lucky to get in early with Woodbridge.

You could always spend the next few months preparing the bed and then try Woodbridge again next year if you can wait that long.

6. stevieray

stevieray Junior Member

Eversen Nurseries can supply apple rootstocks if you need a few (I think they have a minimum order of 50 per variety). I ordered one hundred MM106 and received them quickly, although they only had small whips. At about $180 delivered, or about $1.80 each I was very happy!

https://www.eversen-nurseries.com/rootstocks/index.htm

I've grafted up 60 heritage graftlings and will do more when I can find more budwood.