quickie on worms

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by drrdave27, Apr 3, 2009.

1. drrdave27

drrdave27 Junior Member

Hello everybody, just a quick question on feeding my worms. :oops:

Should I or should i not put kitchen scraps with seeds in the worm bin, at first i thought no because the seeds would end up in the final product and invade my garden. Then i thought that the seeds might try to germinate in the compost bin and die from lack of light making it ok to include them. Tried to search the forum for any info of this kind but couldnt find it.

Any help much appreciated, cheers

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: quickie on worms

g'day dave,

can't see why not, those that don't rot and get consumed by the worms may germinate but in the darkness of the warm farm they aren't going anywhere hey? if too many pull them and let them lay there to rot. all our vermicomposting happens in the garden right where it is needed, we get lots of diffrent seeds germinating most get pulled and tucked under (they come up at the wrong season) if we particular want any particular one it may be left where it is to grow and produce or if it need space it gets transplanted.

len

3. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate

I find some seeds germinate - pumpkin in particular. Pawpaw on the other hand are now growing all over our garden.

But really we have never found any of the seeds to be a problem in the garden. Pawpaw don't really over run a garden.

4. drrdave27

drrdave27 Junior Member

Thanks for the responses, i'll add the seed material and keep an eye on things, mabey even set up an experimental section of the garden to see how it goes. Cheers 8)