So how do you learn manual skills?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by eco4560, Apr 2, 2009.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm old enough that when I "grew up" we of the female persuasion were packed off to learn to knit and make omelettes in "Home Economics", while those of the male persuasion were sent to learn "Manual Arts". Is it called MANual because only men are supposed to know how to do it? I digress....

So I made it to adult hood not knowing how to hammer in a nail, use an electrical drill to make a pilot hole for a screw, use a saw to cut a piece of timber, let alone those really fancy bits of equipment that use power like belt sanders, jig saws and so on. I can barely change a washer, but I can change a light bulb at least. And make a killer omelette! I envy people who can whack a few bits of wood and wire together and turn it into a chook run, or who can change the oil on their ute.

I figure its never to late to learn - but where on earth do women of a certain age go to learn those secret "MANual Arts"? (I'm not prepared to admit my age in cyberspace, but lets just say that I used to rush home to watch Molly on Countdown when I was a kid.)

This particular thought process is stimulated by the realization that I have just bought a pile of wood and metal bits from Ikea that I have to turn into 4 wardrobes, and I'm not sure which end of the silly Allen key goes where! :oops:

2. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Re: So how do you learn manual skills?

Have you tried your local TAFE? Or even U3A ( free classes for over 50s). And Bunnings put on classes to show people how to make stuff from the timber etc they sell.

Like you, I was shoved into domestic science while the boys did woodwork and metalwork, but only for a year. Then we all had to just stick to academic stuff - no more practical stuff after the first year of high school.

Some people seem to have a natural knack. My friend's late husband trained as a plumber, but did a huge amount of carpentry for their home and boat. My Dad was a foreman spinner in a woollen mill, but could turn his hand to anything, from making his back garden into an intense food producing area, to building his own chook pen, cobbling, carpentry, painting and decorating, household machine maintenance, plus a bit of poaching to supplement the family food budget.

I reckon that if you have the muscles there's nothing to stop you learning woodwork. And forget about age - I got a language degree at the University of Queensland at age 62, and never once felt out of place or 'old'. In fact many of the young students sought out my company - I think they missed their Mums.

So - do it!

3. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Definately do the TAFE thing, not just to learn how to use a hammer but to see how things go together and see how other people do the same tasks.
    The flat pack could also be good because you can see the picture of the finished product before you start, then sort out the parts and put the picture together (just a hint - don't worry if there is a screw or 2 left over - but with IKEA flat packs there are no short cuts :( you have to follow all the instructions.)

After you have a few skills - look at a timber frame house being built - they aren't too complicated, just lots and lots of bits put together - sometimes not even very well, and a chook shed won't seem too daunting :).

4. derekh

derekh Junior Member

+1 for TAFE

I completed the Cert III in Horticulture (Landscape Construction) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a mechanical background but learnt how to mix concrete; lay bricks and pavers; build retainer walls, pergolas and fish ponds; drove a bobcat, dingo, forklift; use power saws, nail guns, electric planes, laser levels; etc. We had several women in each subject and they were treated equally and did their fair share of the manual labour. The diverse range of occupations and skills that each person brings to the course adds to the enjoyment.

cheers
    Derek

5. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

the allen key is bent so that you can theoretically use it in tight places - and also use the short end in the screw to give you a longer handle to exert pressure to tighten. Most chippies would advise to tighten until you can feel the thread grabbing and then try and give it a quarter turn more - - works the same with turning a tap off too....

as for learning where - - offer to help neighbours

TAFE is brilliant for all sorts of courses.

find a womens group - they quite often have handy-mans (persons) courses

visit bunnings or mitre10 on weekends - they have demonstrations for everything from basics to welding, plumbing, building pergolas..... now I think about it - ask your local bunnings/mitre10 to put on a basics demo just for women - I'm sure they would

6. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Have you checked out "Mens' Sheds"?
    See if there is an active on in your area

TAFE an other courses are becoming too expensive.

Lots of skills can be learnt by joining an enthusiasts club
    (i just discovered- by googling garden clubs my area- that there was a Permaculture Group nearby!!)
    You may feel like a geek when you first go to a meeting but persist.
    Older members in particular have a lot to share, all you have to do is listen.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Thanks all! It seems there's hope for me yet. I started reading the directions on the Ikea stuff and decided to "phone a friend" with a drill (the posts need to be attached to the ceiling). He's coming tomorrow. Hopefully he'll let me drive the thing and I can start my learning journey...

On the plus side I managed to erect a mini hot house on my own. Only needed a quick whack with a hammer to get the plastic bits and the metal bits together. Now I have somewhere to put all the seedlings that I'm imaging will be germinating in there soon.

The rain here has been an expected blessing - even though the landscaper doesn't think so! I now know where it runs down the block at breakneck speed so I can put more obstacles in its way, and I've found a really boggy patch that takes forever to dry out. Now I just have to put on my thinking cap and find a few plants that love a boggy patch...

8. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

I bought myself a tool kit complete with a jigsaw, drill, grinder, hammer drill and a few other bits to which I have added over the years. If you have someone who can supervise or give you some tips, it is good to be able to use these tools yourself. I make my own christmas cut outs every year and thoroughly enjoy the whole process, I also can concrete posts in by my self now (straight as a die too) and have made my own grape vine fence, and various other things around the place.
    It is well worth any female getting out there and learning these skills, they are so handy.
    I hope you have some luck in finding the right place or person to teach you these skills.....you`ll love it. :D
    P.S. My hubby is a carpenter, but I`m too independant and always want the job done straight away, so I do it myself..... although somethimes he hates me doing it and takes over......theres a method to my madness sometimes. :wink:

9. Mudman

Mudman Junior Member

You could always see if anyone in your area are doing any natural building workshops.
    Strawbale building lends itself to community participation.
    Go along to a wall raising or similar and have a look and have a go.
    Kurt

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm really proud of myself :D - not only are the Ikea wardrobes up and running (and not falling over....) - but I have managed to drill a hole in a masonry wall. Now to many of you that may not sound like much - but boy was it a big moment for me! Inspired by my success I've become unstoppable. :idea: I've been to a hardware store, bought wood and dowel and a hole drilling thing (I'm sure there is a technical name for it but it escapes me right now) and have put together a mighty fine gumboot storage rack.

Amazing what you can do when you get over your fear about it being hard. Watch out world!

11. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Yeehaa eco,
    You have just caught the handy lady bug. I can remember the first time I used a drill I wanted to tell everyone, it is very exciting learning a new skill.
    This is just the beginning, you wont beable to stop yourself now.
    You go girl :D

Lovingmygarden

12. zzsstt

zzsstt Junior Member

Perhaps an area of this forum could be used to "advertise" informal training opportunites. Obviously there are paid courses available for most things, but I'm sure there are also people who would be willing to share their experience in return for a bit of help. For example, if I have some fencing to do I would be happy to show a new or prospective landowner how to build a fence (properly!) in return for a bit of help.

Personally I have found that whilst "formal" education (TAFE etc.) does have merits, it can also be bloated with stuff you don't need to know or that doesn't work in the real world. A few hours actually doing the job with someone who knows can be worth days or weeks in a classroom with little practical time. Obviously this approach flies in the face of the current litigious OH&S workplace, but if both parties are happy (and trusting enough) to ignore some red tape for a day, I am sure there are a lot of people who have pratical skills they would be happy to pass on.

Such an approach also strikes me as more in the spirit of permaculture than charging/paying money for a course!

13. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All :)

Great topic, eco...

For those that wish to hone existing skills (and learn a plethora of new ones), WWOOFing provides a great opportunity to visit 100s of 'classrooms', where you will encounter 1,000s of different ways to 'do things', within 100s of differing cultural contexts:

https://www.wwoof.com.au/

Cheerio, Mark.

14. zzsstt

zzsstt Junior Member

Within the context of rural life and sea changers, whilst I do not limit myself to organic practices I do agree that the WWOOF system has a great deal to offer. I have found that many people who become landowners are totally unaware of the work involved, or the responsibilities (legal and otherwse) that go with such a venture. Many people also find they "don't fit in" with locals, though I suspect this is an attitude issue - buying a farm and instantly complaining about what everybody else is doing and that you can't get a good latte in town are not going to win you any friends! I saw an article in this weeks Saturday paper that was an outstanding example of a couple who moved to the country with absolutely no idea what was involved (lots of hard work) and have now given up and moved back...

The WWOOF concept should allow people to experience the realities of landownership before they take it up for real!

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

So I've now got curtain rails to put up, a clothes line to erect, a watering system to put together, and a few other jobs that I could get to if I had the time and the skills. Any Sunny Coast locals out there with a drill and some know how fancy dropping by my place this weekend to give me a lesson? I'll buy any stuff that is required to complete the job. I can offer a meal and fascinating conversation in return....

PM me if you are interested.