1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Coffee
    (stream of consciousness)
    Gown these before shouldn't be too hard, haven't seen them around for a while, often sold as indoor plant, my $4 special sad but large bad lining on leaves some trace element problems I guess strangled with stick an overenthusiastic apprentice with green tape machine. These are attractive bushes that i know flower and fruit in this area. i am hoping they will cope with my shady garden (yes "they", once you have one, well, things happen, I'll have a talk to you about it when you are older and can understand these things ) :)
    first look up pH
    https://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/homegrowing.htm
    MMmmm best i can do is some pine chips Got chook poo though
    too nice a day gotta get out i love autumn the ONLY time to garden( or move to Tasmania.) :bear: :rolleyes:

2. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Re: Coffee

I bought a couple of coffee plants at caboulture markets for ~$3 each about 6 months ago and they are growing fantastically, they really loved the random experiement that I tried where I planted one of them inside a ring of queensland arrowroot.. I harvested (ate) plus planted out allot of the arrowroot, so I hope they still go well...

3. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

I am just finishing a cup of coffee from home grown beans . I stirfry instead of roast .. easier to control , and I can take the small gas bottle outside so the house doesn't get smoked out . I go through approx 1kg of beans a month , so when my new plants come into bearing it will be a great saving . Still have a kg or so , of green beans, from trees grown at a previous property . Amazing at how fast these can grow . Mate in town has several 3 year old trees that have a second crop already !
    Ones in full sun are just more squat than shade grown , ample humidity and rainfall here help them not scorch to much.

4. bazman

bazman Junior Member

If you get any sort of frost in your garden I wouldn't waste your time with growing coffee unless you have a good frost damage plan or a frost proof design in place.

5. Michaelangelica

How big are the trees/shrubs?
    Are they in full sun?
    What do you suggest feeding them with (coffee grounds? :))
    Any tips on roasting?

6. Tropicana

Tropicana Junior Member

Hi Michaelangelica,

I have four coffee plants in the garden now. They were in pots for two years and looked very sad when I put them in but they've picked up a treat. I got them in finger pots from a guy who got them from another guy, if you know what I mean. Anyway, there is a coffee plantation near Proserpine, south of here and we drove past it a few times, the bushes (I don't think they could be described as trees) were about 2m high I think and very bushy, almost as wide as they were high. They had them planted on raised mounds in the usual monoculture sort of way. They were in full sun, as to other details, I'm not 100% :D but mine have done well with a bit of well rotted chook manure mixed into the soil we put them in. We didn't raise the bed, (our soil drains pretty well) just mulched around them, not too close, and give them a drink when it's been hot or every couple of days or so. I plan of giving them a drink of two of horse-poo tea once in a while and that's about it!

Hope that helps a bit, :)

Tropicana

7. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

Re: Coffee home roasting is easy .

They prefer shade and an even temperature . The beans from high altitude grown plants have a superior taste .
    I preheat my thick wok and have a large bowl handy to pour the roasted beans into when done . Continuous stirring and constant shaking will ensure you don't burn any beans . A few minutes and some will start popping [ just like pop-corn ]
    they then go a bit shiny ... nearly ready then .. I prefer a dark espresso roast , so cook a little longer . Tip out onto something to cool down as if left in wok they will cook further

There is really no need for expensive machines .. a home roaster can cost thousands !! One of my pet peves is a store in Cairns called ... 'Status Plus' that sells overpriced carp .. like a built in espresso machine for only a few thousand dollars ... and Smeg'n ovens for the price of a small car ..

8. nsainsbury

nsainsbury Junior Member

Am buying some plants this week.
    Saw the issue with frost in 07 when Proserpine had it's first in a long time. Local grower lost almost all his seedlings in one night.

9. Michaelangelica

Thanks aroideana
    My rescued plant is looking OK-some yellowing of leaves- just potted it up for now. I have many part shady spots (too many)
    Roasting in a wok sounds like a great idea.
    thankyou :bear:

10. Max E

Max E Junior Member

Hi aroideana,

I would love to get some coffee plants, any tips on the best place to get them,
    i am down at Silkwood but get to cairns often,

regards

Max

11. Michaelangelica

Many nurseries sell hem in their "indoor plants" section.

12. ladyd

ladyd Junior Member

How many plants would you recommend planting if you would like to drink a cup of coffee a day? Ok, make it two cups of espresso - one for me and the other for my better half? I heard that you need 8 - 12 trees, does this sound right?