Guava (s)

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Michaelangelica, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Guava (s)
    steam of consciouslylylyly sorta
    Scored a half dead $4 guava in the half dead section of my nursery yesterday
    this one really is half dead with half the potting mix gone, leaves all burnt in small pot and an probably root bound.
    I stuck it it a bucket of water last night with a spoonful of sugar and i would have put a little 1/8th asprin into if i had some of the cheap 95c a packet "no-name brand
    don't ask i don't know Its what i do.
    Anyway beautiful sunny austum morning today time for the ER ward
    Fist think look up the web for pH of Guava, from Costa Rica they think interesting, one name Rumberry I like that.
    "Guavas can take considerable neglect", well this one will have to it already has.
    'tropical areas' but will take cold' good
    "excellent container specimen" it will have to be for a wile until I work out a spot for it and get my soil up to par.
    "Trees to 33 feet" Shite! it looked like a vine! better look for a large pot (retrieved from the "recycle a pot" bin at another nursery)
    "Guavas are primarily self-fruitful, although some strains seem to produce more fruit when cross-pollinated with another variety" Well this guy/girl/ girl & guy? will have to amuse himself unless one comes up for $2.
    "pollinator of guavas is the honeybee. " got those in spades. they Looove my big lilly pilly (lots of seedling down the bottom, must pot some up for swapping & Landcare ('no-money-landcare' locally)
    "pH range of 5 to 7" finally the info that should be number one. most potting mixes are about six-ish so that's OK, i hope. its bloody near impossible to get things down past 6 without the now banned? peat moss, coco peat doesn't do the job.
    "Cultivars"
    Humph! from an Oz brain-dead nursery so they haven't bothered telling me that
    I have been reading:-
    https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/guava.html

Ok off to pot up with shirt off and in undies to soak up some free Vitamin D :D (try not to think about it)
    O better look up coffee I convinced the assistant they were $4 too.
    Done 12.30
    Too hot to plant big fig, need blood pressure and "brain" pills and coffee, breakfast & ginseng.

Great site that above
    https://www.crfg.org/xref.html
    Could easily become a Mediterranean to tropical permaculturalsts,' 'want list' or is that NEED list?

2. raincrow

raincrow Junior Member

3. Michaelangelica

Re: Guava (s)

A bit off topic raincrow and an unclear connection
    [​IMG]
    Yes people are concerned about the new nano-particles in sunscreens and other skin products for two reasons:-[​IMG]
    1. Manufacturesrs do no have to list them as an seperate ingredient (They are not considered a"new" chemical)
    2. The nano particles are so small they can enter and possibly disrupt DNA

Strangely a recent report show Australians over 60 yo (90%) are vitamin D deficient! There is now a recommendation to get some sun before 11 or after 3pm
    it seems the Oz baby boomers have taken the anti skin cancer message to heart even if Generation Alphabets haven't. Skin cancer is not aprtty way to go. Bive me a bus any day (a la Marie Curie). Then again,as kids we were frequently grilled to a bright red and had tomatoes rubbed on our burns & blisters.[​IMG]. Peeling strips of BBQd skin off each other was a regular Summer pastime.

4. raincrow

raincrow Junior Member

Lucky you, I had vinegar rubbed on my sunburns! 8)

But to track a little better, my four guavas have been in about 5 years now and seem to be thriving. Lots of flowers but not a lot of fruit set. I get from the article that I may not be feeding them enough. It also can get a bit colder than 29 degrees here at times. They survived a 17 degree night 2 years ago but were not happy nor was the persimmon.

5. Michaelangelica

Thats 39 F not Celcius?
    Vinegar! Ouch!
    :bear:

6. raincrow

raincrow Junior Member

https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/guava.html
    "The tree will recover from a brief exposure to 29° F but may be completely defoliated."
    Don't know the variety I have, but have never lost more than a few leaves due to dips below freezing.

Yes, and after all that brine, now that I am older, I look like a stuffed olive! --------- jalapeno not pimento

7. Michaelangelica

I just came across this in a book I was reading

The Innocent Anthropologist, Nigel Barley, Penguin,1983.