The venomous snake in my system - kill it ??-as in harvest?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by kimbo.parker, Mar 28, 2009.

1. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

Friends there is a Dugite in me camp...bit bigger than a meter.

'He is a resident' --used to scare the shit out of us last year as well.

We have diverted our bathroom track around his favourite sitting spots,,,and marked them with witches hats.
    But he keeps cropping up on the new track....I have got a 5 yo daughter,,,she's jumped him once. I've jumped him as well (bloody high to, I can tell you).

I have so far resisted a fear based motive..........this may be supremely enlightened or grossly negligent (duty of care wife & child?).

Is it good enough to just kill the skinny one with no arms because he might kill you...This is a heavy spritual and philosophical question.
    The rush from parents to protect their babies,,,history is full of this,,,'stampeding humans'.

"I'm just going to kill this in-case it kills me",,,is that anything like 'creating a desert and calling it peace?',,,,this is wildlife,,this is bio-diversity,,can you really just get around killing shit you're scared of, in 2009???...not to mention 'his' rights
    - ironic ,,he is protected from me by law,,,but no law protects me from him,,,

Not withstanding the fact that this baby is a yield of me system,,,me permaculture masterpiece,,,,
    me thinks there could be a 'way' to skirt the entire moral/ ethical question and just 'harvest' the bastard.

One would be morally bound to 'maximise the utility', so I'd have to eat it,,, or,, given that I'm only entertaining this thought of harvesting skinny out of some weird duty of care thing ,,perhaps I could make a belt from the skin and get wife and child to eat it.

Besides you can't peg a snake with a .22,,a bloke needs a decent snake gun for the job,,,a 12 guage,,pump action (incase you miss) and that sucker goes rogue.

All good Permaculture,,,,?? :lol:
    WHAT WOULD YOU DO? ---WE ALL WANT TO KNOW---well I do :)

regards, Kimbo

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: The venomous snake in my system - kill it ??-as in harvest?

g'day kimbo,

of course we all know there is a protection law that say we aren't supposed to kill native critters that extends to snakes could be a fine for discharging a firearm and also for killing a native critter?? grinning, so maybe do what you need to do and keep hush about it, snake cooks up well too doesn't it?? go with the wether you got the other day chuckle.

anyhow when we where in the bush we found most snakes kept moving on they only hung around if there was a food source so we kept the rodents out of our gardens, and apart from snakes from the brown family we considered red-bellied black to me more timid that aggressive, once they saw us well me they never seemed to want to ahng around. then you have a youngster to protect as well hey? do you have a good snake dog to be her canine baby sitter? kelpies and c/d's supost to be good.

reckon walking around our block we didn't see as many snakes as what saw us.

len

3. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Well, I personally don't have a problem if you eat it but I reckon it might be worth figuring out whether or not your fear is well-founded or not and here are a couple of questions you might like to ponder to begin with...

How many kids who are taught to respect nature and it's inhabitants (like your skinny little friend) ever actually get bitten vs. drunk men who stumble upon them in the dark wearing only thongs or who feel it there duty to attack the thing or try to catch it in homage to their complete disrespect and lack of understanding?

Is it worth wearing gumboots more often on the odd chance that you might catch him unawares?

The other question is how would YOU feel if you were to kill him, does it feel right?

We've had our share of skinny visitors around here - I've never had occasion to take to them with my trusty old shovel as they are pretty quick little buggers, even when my initial fear said 'go on get him or hell eat you alive'. My 5 year old daughter has been well drilled about what to do if she sees one (although I have no idea if run the other way qualifies as the right thing to do).

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

walk quickly the other way comes to mind grahame,

go have a drink of something then when you come back you will find joe blake gone probably never to be seen again.

len

5. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate

I love nature and accomodate it. But if a poisionous snake took refuge in my yard and I could not encourage it to move on then I would take action. I lived with many Red Bellied Blacks on our property but moved any that stayed around zone one. If I am in the other zones then they are welcome and I am watching where my feet go.

You have tried to create a new path (good first step). I would suggest hiring a friends dog (kept on a lead) and have it bark at it a couple of occasions (basically make it feel like a different location would be a good idea.

Lastly I would get a snake catcher to relocate this wonderful creature to another location. It is part of your environment but sadly many critters need help surviving in this overtly humanised place. Snakes will travel upto 5km's to return to their home.

Just my opinion.

Lastly do remember that only one out of three snake bites result in poision getting to the blood. And it is very rear to die from most snake bites although the pain may be great. Identifying the level of risk is important.

6. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

No one said anything about the pain!
    then
    You know I'd always just assumed a snake bite didn't hurt too much,,,your spiked,,but by small nails....even scared at the though of 'missing it' and not really understanding why I was feeling so bad ( like this annoying heart palpation, staggered breathing and blurred vision ).

But 'openeyes' true to name, shines a light on the pain factor....pain!
    I'm going to harvest skinny :wink:

regards,Kimbo

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

teoretically by law the police are resposible for removing potentially poisonous snakes.
    Of course most are wimps and run a mile but they usually have the address of some wildlife refuge (like Gosford reptile/wildlife park who produce heaps of anti-venom and seem to always happy and willing to help).
    Do you know the current first aid treatment for a poisonous bite (pressure bandage the limb, as poison travels in lymph glands not blood stream- this is Oz snakes) (From a free lecture at the said park).

I've never eaten snake, but am told it is a bit like fish. My cat used to eat small red-bellied-black snakes especially when she had small kittens.

I have a Melbourne suburban relative who had a son who took to living in the middle of that pointy bit of Australia. You know far N Queensland.
    One day they decided to visit. When he finaly picked them up from the airport in the battered aboriginal communities' four-wheel-drive-what once-was-maybe-a-truck they took off down a rough bush track. After many, many many miles he screeched to a halt to prevent running over a huge Echinda.
    The parents were charmed, such a cute creature, such a caring son. They got out, the closest they had ever been to any Oz wildlife.
    As they we Oooing and Arrrhing Son went to the back of the truck got a big bit of 2x4 hardwood and came around and bashed the creature's head in;--tossing the carcase in the back of the truck saying "Bloody good eating those things--just like pork'
    My friends/relatives sat in stunned, drop-jawed, silence for the rest of the trip.
    This was to be only the first surprise, of many, from a son who had "Goorrrne Nahtive" as the Poms would sniffingly say.(how do they get the "hu' in everything?)
    You would probably get on with Son I think.

Whatever you do don't join Care2 Forums (vegetarian, animals, don't crutch sheep, don't eat Skippy) you will give all us Ozzies a bad name. :D
    PS
    Would this site help :) :bear:
    https://ririanproject.com/2009/03/25/adv ... -thinking/

8. drrdave27

drrdave27 Junior Member

have you killed the snake yet? Is it performing a benificial function around your property? Dogs are great for snakes only thing is you cant eat a snake after a dog has had its way with it. When I was young my folks told us about snakes and we got to see dad take the shovel to a few, heart racing moments for him and me + brother. :shock:

However whenever we went near long grass or bush we always took the dog who would always run ahead and clear the way for us. Snakes can feel vibrations in the ground of animals bigger than themselvs, and unless they havent had any sun for the day or you are approaching their nest will bug out before you get near them.

9. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

We have a few snakes as well. Research the habits, keep the vermin to a minimum, have some habitat just for them. Wear gumboots or heavy shoes, socks or jeans, don't bend over or try to disturb them. Walk around your property singing... even with a good voice this will announce your presence in advance and give skinny time to move. Teach your children well.... they need much less venom to get really sick than we do. As per Michaelangelica's advice, compressive bandage over the wound, do not elevate afflicted area, keep victim calm (increased heart rate spreads venom quicker) and transport to hospital in an ambulance. Keep snake if you can catch it, but identity is important for antivenom, notify hospital in advance if you can. Elderly and young most at risk, but it's the macho blokes who most get bit, trying to exercise duty of care, probably or just being dicks.... T

10. bazman

bazman Junior Member

You don't have a snake problem you have a goose deficiency. lol

We have lots of snakes, so I keep my house yard clear and full of whippets. A goose will stop most snakes from hanging around but might give you kids a bit of a hard time, some other types of fowl keep snakes at bay too.

Maybe think of having the snake removed by a pro as most people who get bitten are trying to catch or kill them.

11. Luisa

Luisa Junior Member

You're in the middle of the sticks aren't you? Not good to have a kid bitten and try to get them to hospital and anti-venom from there? I am a greenie and not fond of kids but this snake hangs around and won't move on, yes? So you either harvest it next time it's about or you get a pro catcher in and get them to take it a long way away. By all means change the habitat etc but if that hasn't worked yet, then more serious measures need to be taken. It only takes one bite and kids will be kids.

ps. what's a duggite? Here we have taipans and would take no chances. How venomous is a duggite?

12. nsainsbury

nsainsbury Junior Member

Kill it.
    Seems you seem to need a justification other than it could harm your family use this. It is affecting your system by preying on the frogs and lizards that are essential to your system for the removal of snail and slugs and whatever else they eat. Rat shot in your .22 will take care of it within a couple of metres.