subtropical lavender?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ladyd, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ladyd

ladyd Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Is anyone growing any lavender in the sub tropics? I was reading that it's a Mediterranean plant, and loves the med conditions, but another article said there were subtropical varieties out there. Has anyone had any luck growing lavender in the sub tropics/ tropics?

LadyD

2. kanintalagaeh

kanintalagaeh Junior Member

Re: subtropical lavender?

I grow lavender in Southeast Asia. My only advice would be to keep it in composty-sandy soil and under a tree :) My babies are still getting larger, but I have a friend (who I got them from) who grows them into flowers. They never get as large as they do in colder climes-- but they are happy

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Try the so called "French" or "Italian" varieties
    (Lavandula dentata, Lavandula stoechas)) T here are a lot of new cultivars of both available now
    Also lavender allardii "Allard's Lavender", might be worth trying.
    They will all still need full sun, excellent drainage, and some dolomite/lime/chalk in the soil.
    When, or if, watering do not wet the foliage.
    I have seen these varieties doing well and flowing in Bundaberg Qld. They were in raised beds and were also coping with some shade from some tall gums (Pennyroyal Herb Farm)

Anywhere N of Sydney coast should steer clear of any "English" varieties (L. officinalis, L angustifolia etc ) Victoria and mountainous regions only. (Mostly produced and distributed by Victorian WS nurseries.) Even then a humid February can kill them --same as Sage (S. officnalis)
    [​IMG]
    All Lavender dentata have this distinctive 'toothed' (dental !) leaf style.
    If you keep cutting flowers they will flower most of the year. The most prolific flowering of all the lavenders.It comes in many colours including green and, rarely, white
    Not the best variety for Oil production though

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Lavandula stoechas varieties have a little 'bow' on top of the flower. Look out for the better cultivars with larger "bows" they also come in a range of mauves and white. There is a boring small flowered variety that sets seed profusely and I think is a declared 'noxious weed' in parts of Victoria & W.

lavender allardii is a huge bush up to 2M+ high and wide. It HAS to have full sun to flower well. It only flowers in Summer 2-3 months. The flower stems can be 2 foot long and the flower spikes 6-8" long. It is uncommon OS & in the USA and rarely given enough room and sun and drainage to do well here. I once grew one which I swear had over 300 flowers on the bush!.

All lavenders are good waterwise plants. In fact, once established in the ground it is best not to water at all & try to protect leaves from rain or heavy humidity. (Dusting with dolomite helps get rid of any fungal problems they may get in humid areas.)

In France most are weeds growing in almost pure dolomite (The foothills of the Alps or Dolomites). In areas reminiscent of the Australian Outback with rough,dry, gravely soil. Fortunately for the French, they have very cold winters which kills the fungal problems lavenders are heir to.

Lots of lavender links here:-

https://www.calyx.com.au/lavender.html
    Some images here
    https://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images ... q=lavender
    IMHO Lavandula pinnata Lavandula multifida - Fern leaf lavender sometimes called "Australian Lavender" should not be called Lavender at all.
    It has no fragrance, or use, and so is intensely boring for a Permaculturalist or anyone else.
    It hates the cold, and will even die in areas of western Sydney.

4. ladyd

ladyd Junior Member

Thankyou both so much! :D