blog creation & SEO workshop, Inner Melbourne

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by cecilia, Mar 5, 2009.

1. cecilia

cecilia Junior Member

Can people find you on the web?

Do a Google search of these two words:

- your location (ie Brunswick)

- your project or services (ie swale building, mosiac making)

What comes up? (Try it, you might get a nice surprise)

Not up there looking good on the first or second page? Creating a wise and useful blog could be a big help in getting you there, and getting the visibility you need to get your good work out to the people who need it.

This Sunday afternoon, March 8th a Blog Creation Workshop will be held in North Melbourne. Your coaches are web design expert Matthew, and enthusiastic balcony garden blogger Cecilia. Matthew and Cecilia will run through the basics of creating a successful blog using the Google Blogger platform.

Blogger is a program that gives creative people a way to show their work to the world, stylishly, instantly, and for free. Regular websites can be cumbersome to start, to update, and to get finished. With Blogger, you can post your designs, your events, and your unique ideas as they come. Interaction from your visitors allows you to shape things as you go, keeping you and your work relevant, interesting, and in demand. You will go home with a website, will make your first postings and will learn basic strategies for generating traffic (relevant readers) to your site.

You will also be shown how to equip your site with Google Analytics. This Reality Check is what professionals use to give you all sorts of hard data on how people discover and value the work you have posted. You can then spend more time on what works and less on what doesn’t. "Where do they come from? How quicky do they leave, where did I bore readers, where did I captivate them? A little Observation goes a long way, as we know from our gardening.

Afterwards, you can congratulate yourself with afternoon tea in Cecilia's huge inner-city garden. Email for Details of the day's activities

Sunday March 8th 1.30 – 3.30pm
    Event will be repeated on Sunday March 28th.
    Cost: $77
    Transport 57 tram, 10 minutes from Victoria market
    To book: Call or email Cecilia 0412 474 282, with a brief profile of yourself and your work
    Places are limited.

Cecilia Macaulay
    https://www.balconyofdreams.blogspot.com.
    https://melbourneblogworkshop.blogspot.com/

2. cecilia

cecilia Junior Member

It was fun, we are doing it again - April 5th

Hi its Cecilia Again.
    4 highly creative people turned up to our blog creation workshop, and we did great things.

Here is what one participant said:
    "A charming experience with lovely, humble, earthly people. Cecilia has such an enticing feminine exuberance inspiring you with her own excitement, and Matthew was both gracious and informative, giving much needed and appreciated attention on one-to-one basis. The afternoon tea was delightful"

-Elen David, dancer

The next workshop is on April 5th, with an optional Advanced blogging workshop on Easter Monday April 13th
    The cost is $12O, including a networking afternoon tea.
    Blogger is free and you can work out how to use effectively it yourself, but it might take two years. Two hours is better.
    Share your surplus knowledge - this tired old world is in big need of it.

[​IMG]

3. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

Re: blog creation & SEO workshop, Inner Melbourne

I'm interested in running something similar up here in the Illawarra for sustainability bloggers towards the end of this year. I'm interested in the mechanics of how you conducted the course. From the photos, it looks like every participant had a laptop - did you supply them, or did you just get people to bring their own? What are your thoughts on group size - do you think it would still work well with 10 participants? What about 20? I know the dynamics would change, with less one-on-one help, but do you think that would be a problem?

By the way, was that you in the ethical investments ad in the last Organic Gardener magazine? Nice! :)

4. cecilia

cecilia Junior Member

Re: blog creation & SEO workshop, Inner Melbourne

Your blog has so much great stuff in it, quite an inspriation.
    Yes, I really reccommend you run that workshop.
    The very people who are doing the most creative permaculture work are the ones we don't hear from - because they are too involved in doing, rather than communicating what they are doing. The world need to hear from them, and your blog workshop will help make that happen.

If you want to come down here to attend ours, I'm also an Urban WWOOF host. With your knowledge and experiance, we could do really fun things together for a few days.
    Cecilia
    www.balconyofdreams.blogspot.com