growing stone fruit trees from seed

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by pebble, Mar 5, 2009.

1. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Anyone know how to get stone fruit started from seed? I have some old variety fresh peach stones that I'd like to try. Also would like to try apricots. And it'd be good to know what works for plums too although they seem to manage pretty easily on their own.

It's for a feral gardening project, so any info or ideas on how to get stone fruit established easily in the wild would be great. Pip fruit seem to self seed very easily but not stone fruit.

thanks,
    pebble.

2. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Re: growing stone fruit trees from seed

I've been told by local (Glen Innes) gardeners that peaches are the best or only sone fruit to plant from seed. Simply let the stone dry for a few days then plant direct into ground. I planned on trying some in pots but my drying seeds keep getting binned before I get around to it. Hope you have better luck ...If you are near the Northside Brisbane can send you to some seedling macadamia's
    Cheers
    Cathy

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Damn, I've been soaking my peach stones. Thanks for the tips, will give it a go.

I'm in NZ, don't think macadamias would grow down here, ta.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I had tens of trees sprouting from peaches I had thrown in a compost heap. It was a cold heap and not one that I tended very well - so I assume you could have some pretty good results with a nice rich compost that you keep moist. I have also collected some nectarine seedlings from under a tree I found almost buried under long grass, when I went to clear the weeds there they all were sprouting from the rich compost of old weeds and leaves. Seems like there is a pattern there.

Good luck

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Thanks Graeme 8) I wonder if it's something to do with the right fungi.