Groups in Rockhampton

Discussion in 'General chat' started by grassroots, Feb 17, 2009.

1. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Junior Member

Re: Groups in Rockhampton

Hi Folks! :D
    I'm based in Frenchville. Deeane gave me a link to this thread.
    I'm interested in setting up a mandela garden... and want to track down some worrigal greens locally.
    Have a happy day, 8)
    PJ

2. Nematode

Nematode Junior Member

Hey PJ! Deeane here (blown my cover!), I have some Warrigal greens (I think it's also known as NZ Spinach) I can give you, it self seeds all the time. I haven't tasted it yet, the leaves seem a bit succulent-like. My dad has eaten it and doesn't mind it. I will give you some next time we catch up (you may have to remind me).

3. grassroots

grassroots Junior Member

Does anyone know where I can get some Japanese Quail?
    I am after a couple of unrelated males to mate with my females.

4. newtopm

newtopm New Member

Hi Grassroots and PJ and Deeane and all others I haven't met yet! Tracy here, thought I would register as this site looks really interesting.

Grassroots . . . sorry I don't know about Japanese quail but I do have a question for you. I love on a small block and am considering getting quail (for eggs and pets) but am worried that I will attract snakes to our yard. I have lots of my own pets (dogs and cats) that I woudn't want to endanger. Have you noticed more venomous snakes since you have had quails? I don't really have an out-of-the-way spot for them. I am surrounded by vacant blocks with long grass too so snakes are pretty likely. I remember having them as a kid and having snake problems. Obviously I could make the enclosure snake-proof no problems but I am worried about the pets getting bitten.

Also, have you tried asking PJ pet barn for them? I thought they used to have quail but am not sure what kind sorry!

Talk soon,

bye

5. grassroots

grassroots Junior Member

I wouldn't think of japanese quail as pets they are a bit flighty. An incubator is essential for breeding, they don't normally hatch their own eggs.
    The babies are cute, they grow up quick. One started laying at 5weeks. I have two girls, they have layed 11eggs in the last week.
    The dressing of my first quail was emotionaly hard, the taste delicious. The eggs just taste like chicken eggs.
    Are you planning to have them in a shed or outside(they don't like draughts)?
    We do have a lot of wild mice and rats no snakes as of yet. With so many vacant blocks around you, I would think that keeping any small livestock chickens, ducks etc that you would see a increase in predators. There's also cats, dogs, butcher birds and maybe even goanna's. All I can say is give it a go and see what happens. It can be very rewarding hobby.
    Thanks for the tip. I have purchased some from Pj's pet barn, I am after some unrelated, I don't want too much inbreeding.

6. newtopm

newtopm New Member

Thanks for the info grassroots. Very helpful. I will keep an eye out for quails at places other than PJ pet barn. Maybe in the pocket trader or the paper. I will let you know if I come across any. Good luck!

7. Nematode

Nematode Junior Member

Just wondering if anyone has used mineral rock dust in their garden and if they noted any benefits? I tried to source it a few years ago in Rocky with no success. Does anyone know if you can buy it from somewhere in Rocky?

8. reddirt

reddirt Junior Member

G'Day - Hey PJ, I'm in Frenchville too, Ive got some warrigal greens seeds if you want. Ive never planted any, you can have them if you want. Let me know where you are and Ill drop them off if you want.

See yuz

9. cqtiger

cqtiger New Member

does anyone know where to buy sawdust by the trailer in Rocky?

10. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Junior Member

Hello folks! :)

I'll get seeds off Nematode and Reddirt and see if we can get some genetic diversification going on. 8)

Reddirt, you can email me on pf_temporary at hotmail dot com. Others are welcome to get in touch too, if you'd like
    to meet like minded perma-folk in rocky. I'm happy to act as the middle person (more pc than "middle-man" I guess) provide introductions.

How about we aim for a perma-picnic and seed-swap meet-up in the kershaw gardens one late next month? :idea:

PJ

11. grassroots

grassroots Junior Member

Sounds good, looking forward to meeting like minded people. Does anyone know of any Peking and white Muscovy ducks for sale?

12. Luisa

Luisa Junior Member

CQTiger, the composted stable manure available for free at the racetrack has a high sawdust content.

13. Nematode

Nematode Junior Member

I'll be up for a meeting at Kershaw Gardens, count me in!!!

14. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Junior Member

Wow, I didn't know you could get free compost there!
    Okay, so gardens visit sounds like it's a go-er. I'll have a look at dates and get back to you. Email me if you want to be on the invitation list to get the details. 8)

A slightly off topic question - where can I get bulk dutch coco powder in Rocky? (I try to be self-sufficient in terms of cooking things from scratch.)

15. grassroots

grassroots Junior Member

Pj silly question how do I e-mail you?

16. WhoKnows

WhoKnows Junior Member

Gwen, you can email me at
    pf_temporary at hotmail dot com :)

Oh, and thanks to Nematode for the warrigal greens. :D

talk soon,
    pj

17. Nematode

Nematode Junior Member

Hi PJ,

Hope your warrigal greens grow!! If not I will give you a replacement, or fresh seed.

Any luck with the Dutch Chocolate? I like the Abundant Earth stuff from Coles but it is so expensive!! I wonder if the health food shop on southside (Choy's???) would sell it in bulk?

18. grassroots

grassroots Junior Member

I have made a date for a monthly get together for like minded people to meet and discuss growing plants and livestock. The date is sunday 2nd August. Let me know if you are interested in coming and I will let you know where. Some ideas are having a seed bank, excess produce swap and library.

19. Nematode

Nematode Junior Member

Hi Grassroots,

I am interested in coming along on the 2 August. Please let us know when and where.

20. grassroots

grassroots Junior Member

Nematode you can e-mail me at backyardfoodproduction-permaculture.yahoo.com.au.