Fires in Victoria

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Fern O., Feb 9, 2009.

1. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

The news below is from Graeme George (Yarra Valley Permaculture designer and educator) regarding the fires in the Yarra Valley (that started on Saturday). He also informed me this morning of a new fire that just started near the Food Farm (Wendy and Ross Mather's place) and that Daryl Taylor lost his house at Kinglake, but is okay. We haven't heard from Bela Beke (from Kinglake, who posted on this forum as "foggyforge" and are all very concerned. I haven't been able to contact Bela, by email or mobile phone.
    regards
    fern

The Steels Creek area of the Yarra Valley north of Yarra Glen and SE of Kinglake has been burnt out and four members of the Yarra Valley Permaculture Group from that area have been casualties. Edd and Amanda Williams at Brockspur Eco Farm lost their farm, house and sheds and survived with the help of their swimming pool. I understand that a few of their animals survived.

Bron and Ray Dahlstrom, in the same area lost their house, stock, gardens and orchard. Judy Anderson's Farm got burnt also but her house was OK. At nearby Dixon's Creek Andrew and Heather Djurovich had their 90 acres of bush burnt out but saved their house, garden and infrastructure. Their Tenderbreak Farm was a feature of our Permaculture Day last September and was written up in Earth Garden. The fact that they were able to save their house and zone 1 is testimony to good Pc design.

All four affected members are stalholders or suppliers to our weekly Organic Farmers Market at Healesville. Permaculture Melbourne members are already gearing up to offer help to re-establish. My information from Steels Creek is second and third hand as there are no phone communications. I tried to get over there this afternoon, negotiated my way past two road blocks but got stopped at the third. I may have more details when access to the area improves.

Regards

Graeme

2. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

Re: Fires in Victoria

Thanks for your posts, Fern. News is good. T

3. prayner1

prayner1 New Member

Hi there. We stayed with Edd and Amanda at Brockspur a few times and we have been really worried about them. Hopefully the news is true and they are safe albeit with the loss of everything. If they can be contacted and we can help in any way they can contact us at [email protected]. The events of the last few days are so shocking and so sad.

Paul & Tracy

4. borr1e

borr1e New Member

Hello
    I am living in North Wales UK and friends of Ed and Amanda Williams. Thanks so much for that update as we have been so worried about them on hearing the news and seeing the horrific sights of devastation in their area. I cant write any more at present as I am too upset
    Liz

5. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

hi paul & tracey
    Graeme would've informed me if the news of Ed and Amanda wasn't correct.

Bela Beke and his family at Kingslake are safe, and I heard from him on monday afternoon.

Graeme informed me last night that Wendy and Ross Mathers (Food Farm) are ok, a wind change at 5pm stopped the fire advancing on them, and without that change they wouldn't be with us today. They've lost friends and a lot of others in the community of St Andrews.
    i have to stop there, :cry:

6. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

sorry paul and tracey,
    I'll see if i can pass on your concern and contact to Ed and Amanda. I haven't been in contact with them directly, and I don't have a mobile number for them. It's doubtful that they would be checking their emails at present. I'm not sure if they've stayed in the area. I should hear more in the coming week.

7. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Received an email from Andrea Cook and Steven Oke (from Border Permaculture Association), that they're safe after the Beechworth fires burnt through Stanley on Saturday night.

From Andrea (Steven,Kobi & Reuben):
    "Most of the bush surrounding our property has been burnt though none of the bush, land or buildings on our property were touched. We have all the varying fire crews to thank who were here when the front went through and around since.
    We are all safe and back home. Big thanks to all who have expressed their concerns for us.
    We hope that anyone else is fire affected areas are safe and our thoughts are with those who have suffered loss from these tragic events".

8. jeannie

jeannie New Member

Anyone know anything about Keith and Lindy Montell of Steels Creek please?

9. barely run

barely run Junior Member

I have donated to the general appeal but would be very happy to supply organic seed through Eden or similar for people affected by the fires. Can someone here set something up for us to contribute to.
    Cathy

10. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Is there any Permaculture Organic garden Group that is incorporated down that way.
    If they are incorporated they have to account for their money.
    Perhaps the Australian Association of Garden Clubs would be the way to go otherwise.
    Seeds may be difficult initially as they will have nothing to water them with, or keep them protected.

11. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Good ideas....and i agree the response to this disaster needs to be spread over the next 12mths and longer. Houses rebuilt... gardens reestablished will all take time. Perhaps down the track we can co-ordinate with a local permaculture group and help out then.
    Cathy

12. assenheimer14

assenheimer14 New Member

Dear Fern,

We are Ed and Amanda's friends from Tasmania, we have been desperately trying to contact them, we are deeply sad with the news, we wonder if in case you see them, you would mind to let them know that we are ready to help them in everything we can. We are arranging goods to send to them as soon as we can ascertain were they are staying. We can be contacted through: [email protected].

Kindest regards,
    Elida and Dwight Assenheimer
    Kingston TAS

13. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Please give donations to Permaculture Melbourne Inc.
    PO Box 3020, Auburn, Vic. 3123
    Office Phone: 03 9513 4447
    email: [email protected]

A fund is being set up by the management committee of Permaculture Melbourne Inc. to support local permaculture working bees to help out those affected by the fires. Permaculture Melbourne Inc. is the incorporated body that auspices local bioregional permaculture groups (such as the local groups Yarra Valley Permaculture Group and Permaculture Cardinia Baw Baw, that were affected by the fires).

with thanks,
    Fern

14. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Sorry, correction there... the local permaculture groups will be organising the working bees (not Permaculture Melbourne Inc.'s management committee) but Permaculture Melbourne Inc. is accepting donations to help those affected by the fires.

15. Noz

Noz Junior Member

Do you think that some of the native bush seed bank survived and will regrow? If not, would local Victorians want it replanted to the same species, or at all?

16. EcoArk

EcoArk New Member

Hello all,

I am an old university colleague of Edd & Amanda's son Alvyn and have been watching this horror unfold from across the tasman in New Zealand this past week. I managed to locate the "Brockspur News' blog which Amanda had started last year and the last update was the Friday before the fires.

I had stayed there many years ago and I have been scouring the news reports for the last week for any mention of Steels Creek in particular but was given a huge boost 2 days ago when I discovered this thread and the news that although the property was destroyed the Williams were safe.

i have just rechecked the 'Brockspur News' at

https://brockspur.blogspot.com/

and amazingly Amanda has updated the blog with a recount of the tragic events so i'd suggest you could leave a message there.

Alvyn Williams also has a website with contact details at

https://www.softloud.com.au/index.html

I hope those that need to can get in touch as I'm sure they can do with some support after the whats happened.

And my condolences to ALL those who have suffered losses - it hasn't been that comfortable for me watching areas I grew up in and around burn - but to those on the front line my prayers and thoughts go out to you as you pick up the pieces and regroup.

regards

Danny Squires
    Christchurch, New Zealand

P.S I am also glad to have found this forum and keen to have a look around - thanks

17. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Passing on message from Graeme:

> I visited Edd and Amanda again on Friday and dropped off a load of straw
    > bales generously donated by Peter and Silvia. This will initially be
    > used as bedding for their animals which are being kept in very dusty
    > pens and eventually as mulch for gardens.
    >
    > They have the phone restored, but no computer so won't be communicating
    > by email much for a while. In the short term, they'll be concentrating
    > on their stock and negotiating with their insurers before any
    > restoration work can begin. Their place has been declared a hazardous
    > site and will need all toxic residues removed.
    >
    > They have loan of caravan and annexe and have bought a poly-tent to put
    > up on their menage to use as a milking stand and feed store.
    >
    > They've had to knock back lots of offers of clothes and other goods as
    > they have nowhere to store them at present. They are also de-stocking as
    > they have more animals than they can cope with, keeping their two
    > Haflinger horses and a core of their milking goats.
    >
    > Stallholders donated a few boxes of vegies after Market on Saturday and
    > passed them on to daughter Beth, who is cooking for them and a lot of
    > other displaced people staying at her Yarra Glen house.
    >
    > Further down the track Edd and Amanda would appreciate small teams of
    > helpers to restore fencing, pick up broken glass, etc. Vegie gardens are
    > not feasible at the moment, but Amanda would appreciate it if members
    > could grow on seedlings and cuttings for use later on after rains
    > return. It may be a while before they know which fruit trees they'll
    > need to replace - that will be best done in winter anyway. She would
    > particularly like to rebuild her collection of succulent plants which
    > she lost and asks if anyone has any, could they pot some on for her.
    > Please pass on.
    > Regards
    > Graeme

18. Michaelangelica

Fires in Victoria, What can we do to help re-green gardens?

Fires in Victoria, What can we do to help re-green the gardens and backyards of Firestorm Victims?
    That is great.
    I have no money but could send you some of my books to raffle or sell?

Let us know what can be done.

Could you please keep us posted on this thread as to how things are going?

I thought you wouldn't need the money until 12-18 months down the line when people have re-built.
    I know from past experience that plants and any tradesman don't mix. Between them - builders, plumbers electricians-they must be responsible for the equivalent death of at least half the production of plants from the Australian Nursery industry :)
    (BTW have you contacted (Mr.) Robert Prince the CEO of the Australian Nursery and Garden Association (ANGA) in Epping NSW and told him what you are doing?)
    BUT
    I noticed on the news the other night, in one levelled town, people planting things in their garden. . . .:( :(
    In an area that looked like Hiroshima after the bomb.
    Another guy was joyfully digging up his potatoes and carrots, from his veggie garden, which the fire didn't get.
    Another, was showing the cameraman these tall burnt matchsticks 1-3 M high, and telling the reporter what they were and when he planted them :(
    Looks like people want to, literally, put down roots NOW.

How can we best help?

19. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

The fires are still burning in Victoria and we're not looking forward to this Friday as weather is predicted to be hot and windy again.
    A fire just started yesterday south of Daylesford in the Hepburn Shire. Quite a few of my friends live in this area and were under ember attack. This fire is still going and residents are on alert.

Also from Graeme (regarding fires at Won Wron in Gippsland):
    Colleagues,
    Gail Dangel (formerly Robins), PcM member now living in Napier Road Won Wron in Gippsland, is OK. The Napier Rd fire started at the other end of her road and is burning eastwards away from her place under the influence of south-westerly winds.

Regards
    Graeme

Also fires started in the Dandenong region yesterday,
    Forwarded message from Peter & Silvia Allen (Mountain Districts Permaculture Group, local group of Permaculture Melbourne Inc. in the Dandenong region):

"Nola from Yarra Valley Permaculture Group is trying to collate any needs in the area at present,( and will let us know what we can do) circumstances are that help could be needed later rather than sooner, so as for the 14th of march we may look at this being a BBQ, providing permie support to friends and planning for future help unless we get anyone needing assistance, this may mean we still sned over bales to a central point in the Yarra valley and people can access it from there. and maybe the healesville market is used as a central for distribution ( but there is no storage facility there)
    MDPG will take money donations to the mail box at POBox 451 Monbulk 3793 and put it together for a straw delivery or later on we may find the need is for fencing materials as it seems this may be the sort of thing insurance may not cover.
    there will then be the opportunity to have time at properties to rebuild these rural fences, while some have these skills others can come and learn how to do this job, so it should provide many long term benefits as we try to do in Permaculture."

So at present the main needs are straw for animals, storage space/ sheds and fencing materials.

By the way, I'm not on the management team for Permaculture Melbourne Inc. but I'm on their email list, so am passing on the messages to the wider permaculture community, so they can be aware and in involved in helping out in a permacultre way.
    with thanks
    fern

20. Michaelangelica

Thanks fern. can you tell Melbourne about this thread?
    It has been posted on Care2.
    Can anyone post it on other social networking sites like Facebook etc?

Let us all pray for a break in the weather for Victorians.