What can I grow next?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by fruit fly, Jan 25, 2009.

1. fruit fly

fruit fly Junior Member

Gday,
    I have enjoyed living from the vegies & friut from my garden for the last 3 months. And I must say it feels like a real achivement not having to rely on coles or woolies (my first ever real crack at a garden) . Now my spring plantings are starting to come to end my thoughts now are what to plant next for the colder months?
    I live in the Northern New England (Armidale) where the frost are heavy and very cold usually starting around ANZAC day and lasting until late October.
    My question is there anything that you can plant now that will produce in the ice of winter ?

thanks for the help.
    Fruit Fly

2. IntensiveGardener

IntensiveGardener Junior Member

Re: What can I grow next?

Hi,
    I suspect you have the same growing season as me, perhaps a slightly longer frost free period.
    Vegies which will crop during winter here are:
    Carrots,parsnips, parsely, celery can be planted up until mid march for winter harvest,
    Brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower,cabbages, kale, pak choy, mustard, radishes)
    Spinach, beetroot and silverbeet
    If you grow enough during the summer you can have potatoes and pumpkins all winter too.

IG

3. fruit fly

fruit fly Junior Member

Thanks for the info IG. From what I can gather you sow these around Febuary/March.
    Does that sound about right?
    thanks again much appriciated :D
    fruit fly

4. IntensiveGardener

IntensiveGardener Junior Member

Yeah, thats about right, although you can get away with planting some things later.
    The risk is that they don't get big enough before the cold weather arives in which case they usually just sit there over winter and then crop in spring.
    I forgot to mention Onions and Garlic which can be planted in autaum or winter and will crop in later spring or summer.
    :)