Water for the Recovery of Climate-all Permie's must read

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by duanejen, Jan 14, 2009.

1. duanejen

duanejen Junior Member

This book by Pokorny et al is a MUST read for all permaculture folk, scientists, politicans and anyone else wanting to understand CC and GW.

The English version of the book, Water for the Recovery of Climate, A New Water Paradigm, is available to download in Zip files at https://www.vodnaparadigma.sk/?indexen.p ... omean.html

2. duanejen

duanejen Junior Member

Re: Water for the Recovery of Climate

Here is a website that provides extra info on Water for the Recvery of Climate: A New Water Paradigm

https://www.waterparadigm.org/expo/expoen.htm

I am interested in any feedback members may have concerning these ideas in the book.

3. duanejen

duanejen Junior Member

Re: Water for the Recovery of Climate

I am interested in hearing from anyone looking at this forum, who has read this book and would be very interested to hear any feedback, especially as it relates to the more recent blogs on rainfall and climate.

This book is an absolute must read!!!! And what's more it is FREE to download.

4. Flying Binghi

Flying Binghi Junior Member

Re: Water for the Recovery of Climate-all Permie's must read

Very slick eh!

Lets hope its not another AlGorian scam... :|

Perhaps post some quotes from the book to aid clarity ?

5. duanejen

duanejen Junior Member

No scam promise.....just a simple request!

6. duanejen

duanejen Junior Member

This is a summary from the new book released by Dr. Jan Pokorny as requested by Flying Binghi

SUMMARY

The circulation of water in nature takes place through the large and small water cycles. Humanity, through its activities and systematic transformation of natural land into cultured land, accelerates the runoff of rainwater from land. Limiting evaporation and the infiltration of water into the soil decreases the supply of water to the small water cycle. The equilibrium of the water balance in the small water cycle is thus disturbed and it gradually starts to break down over land.

If there is insufficient water in the soil, on its surface and in plants, immense flows of solar energy cannot be transformed into the latent heat of water evaporation but are instead changed into sensible heat. The surface of the ground soon overheats, and as a result, a breakdown in the supply of water from the large water cycle arises over the affected land. Local processes over huge areas inhabited and exploited by human beings are changed into global processes and with processes that occur without the assistance of human beings; together they create the phenomenon known as global climate change. The part of global climate change caused by human activities then is largely based on the drainage of water from the land, the consequent rise in temperature differences triggering off mechanisms which cause a rise in climatic extremes. The disruption of the small water cycle is accompanied by growing extremes in the weather, a gradual drop in groundwater reserves, more frequent flooding, longer periods of drought and an increase in the water shortage in the region.

The part of climatic change which is the result of human activities (draining of a region), can be reversed through systematic human activity (the watering of a region). The watering of land can be achieved through saturation of the small water cycle over land by ensuring comprehensive conservation of rainwater and enabling its infiltration and evaporation. This can help achieve the renewal of the small water cycle over a region and fundamentally change the trend of changing climatic conditions: it can—to reverse the trend of regional warming—temper extreme weather events and ensure a growth in water reserves in the territory.

The renewal of the small water cycle over an area, however, depends not only on the extent to which the area has been damaged but also on a number of other factors. In the case of Slovakia, we can expect visible results relatively soon (10 to 20 years) after implementation of these measures. The financial costs of these specific measures are moderate sums which can be allocated from state, public and private budgets. Support for the implementation of far-reaching measures should be linked pro rata to each 1 m3 of reservoir volume built in the ground or to anti-erosion measures carried out. The implementation of water conservation measures should, until the renewal of the small water cycle and the maximalization of a stable water balance in a region, replace previous investment measures, which only served to accelerate the runoff of water from a region.

The conservation of rainwater on land "in situ" and the conducting away only of the natural surplus of water in a region is "condicio sine qua non"—a condition essential for ensuring environmental security, global stability and the sustenance of economic growth. Fulfilling these conditions should be of interest to each individual and each community. This is the first time in the history of human civilization when the impact of mankind's activities on the water cycle and the decrease of amount of water in it will have to be evaluated. The statement of the Srí Lankan king, Parakramabahu the Great—"Not even a single raindrop should be allowed to flow into the sea without it first having been used for the benefit of the people..." —is the best summing up of the new water paradigm, a statement which, in the coming decades, should become a slogan for mankind calling for the preservation of civilization.

The English version of the book, Water for the Recovery of Climate, A New Water Paradigm, is available to download in Zip files at https://www.vodnaparadigma.sk/?indexen.p ... omean.html

7. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day duanejen

Thank you for going to the effort of summarising the book. I would like to say that I have gone on to read it from cover-to-cover, but sadly this is not the case. However, in my defence I would like to point out that I did study the Global Cooling Project (GCP) webpages (see: link below), and from there linked to the Science Dossier (see: link below), which incidentally after skim reading, I have decided to devote more time to a careful study thereof.

https://www.theglobalcoolingproject.com/ ... ence.shtml
    https://www.theglobalcoolingproject.com/ ... ssier7.pdf

For some time now I have been aware of the land-atmosphere scenario (as a student of land use planning, my colleagues and I are daily bombarded with scenarios from every conceivable position), and as such I wish to add my voice to your call for greater awareness of the positive benefits that planning, designing and implementing local and regional revegetating/rewatering projects will provide.

Of course we need to foster a greater understanding that cooling the Earth will be a long-term, two-pronged project, and while regenerative land-atmosphere practices will buy as at least another 10-years, we must never forget that anthropogenic GHG emissions need to be halted least we annihilate ourselves, and at the same time take 95% of Earth's species with us.

Well done on raising this very important topic here at the PRI Forum. I, like you I suspect, hope that it engenders some robust discussion.

As Al Gore stated in the foreword to the CGP Science Dossier:

The climate crisis... offers us the chance to experience what very few generations in history have had the privilege of knowing: a generational mission; the exhilaration of a compelling moral purpose; a shared and unifying cause; the thrill of being forced by circumstances to put aside the pettiness and conflict that so often stifle the restless human need for transcendence; the opportunity to rise.

Cheerio, Marko (the tired one).

8. Flying Binghi

Prophets on the raise....

"...It is an interesting situation. If Al Gore gets his way and governments undertake drastic measures to counter the fear of global warming, then Al Gore gets rich – filthy rich. It makes one wonder what his real motive is..."

https://www.examiner.com/x-12465-Washing ... nal-profit

9. duanejen

duanejen Junior Member

A recent update on the role of water and global warming:

Flaws revealed in climate change research
    Wednesday 18 November 2009

A new study by University of Newcastle researchers is questioning widespread claims that the drought experienced in Australia's Murray Darling Basin is a result of CO2 emissions.

The analysis, to be published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, concluded that the cause of elevated temperatures in the Murray Darling Basin was a combination of natural factors.

Lead researcher Associate Professor Stewart Franks, from the University's Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, said the findings were based on known principles of physics.

"Senior climate change researchers have claimed that higher temperatures lead to higher moisture evaporation and that this is why the Murray Darling Basin has experienced such a harsh drought," Associate Professor Franks said.

"This is incorrect and ignores the known physics of evaporation.

"During drought, when soil moisture is low, less of the sun's radiant energy goes into evaporation and more goes into the heating of the atmosphere which causes higher temperatures.

"Most importantly, the elevated air temperatures do not increase evaporation but are actually due to the lack of evaporation and this is a natural consequence of drought.

"Therefore any statement that the drought experienced in the Murray Darling Basin is a direct result of CO2 emissions is fundamentally flawed
    ."

Associate Professor Franks said the findings of the study highlighted the importance of getting the science right.

"A key concern is that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - which advises governments around the world - has used the Murray Darling Basin and incorrect science as an example of CO2 induced climate change.

"There are genuinely-held concerns regarding the role of CO2 in contributing to climate change however it is important to ensure it is based on correct science."

For media interviews: Associate Professor Stewart Franks on 0438 630 444.

This work backs up the science in Water for the Recovery of Climate: The New Paradigm.

10. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

When will people get it - we change the way we use and abuse this planet because it is "the right thing to do" whether Al Gore earns millions or not is so far from the point whether he id s right or wrong is not the point - whether he or any other scientist even exist is not the point

The point surely is that we need to work with nature and not against her.

11. Flying Binghi

I wonder when people will "get it" ....turning climate into business as per Gore will ensure our financial system comes to rely on the huge volumes of money to be made from destroying those who actually feed and house the people of this planet. There will never be any incentive to 'change' anything because CO2 will be money and the bankers via their mates like Turnbull will make sure they get what they want.

The corruption of science we have seen exposed via the hockey stick fraud and climate-gate and even Australia's CSIRO will only get worse if the push for a climate fraud ETS/CPRS is allowed to continue. Why would any genuine scientist bother when all they can research is party approved subjects that must have a pre-approved result....sorta like Germany in the 1930's.....

12. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

You've hit the nail on the head.

Many thanks to duanejen for bring Water for the Recovery of the Climate to our attention. I've downloaded it and will get stuck into it ASAP. I'm currently reading Ian Plimer's excellent Heaven + Earth, and I recommend it to all critical-thinking permies.

13. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

Don't think I'll bother. Plimer just won't answer the hard questions about his dodgy science...

https://www.monbiot.com/archives/2009/09 ... here-none/

Also;

https://bravenewclimate.com/2009/04/23/i ... and-earth/

https://www.aussmc.org/IanPlimerclimatebook.php

14. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Thanks just downloading it now
    Hard to get used to the idea of a free book coming via the electrical-type-wires.

Really it is only since the 30's, and the Hoover Dam, have we stared to dam and control water to a major extent; the invention of the tractor also helped with on-farm dams.

It is interesting that water is the major GHG. A lot of the rise in this must be put down to our massive dam-making of the last 80-100 years

15. duanejen

duanejen Junior Member

This too is a must read article considering the recent upheavals over CO2.

Available to read or download and print.
    pdf file approx 2.5mb

Water as a GHG has NOT been mentioned in this whole debate and it is the front and centre cause and reason for life on Earth. Download the pdf from the site listed below:

https://www.nsfarming.com/Media/2009-Discussion_Paper_Copenhagen_04_08_09.pdf

16. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

Well, Al Gore won't debate his critics, https://cei.org/news-release/2009/11/16/ ... -big-bucks and since he holds such prominant position as spokesman for Anthropogenic Climate Change (ACC), and stands to profit enormously from the carbon trading scam https://thetruthwins.com/archives/blood- ... on-credits, I think he is by far the greater coward, so I'll continue with Plimer's book, having just finished a second reading of Lovelock's Revenge of Gaia, which I found as thought provoking as the first time I read it.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm not interested in getting involved in the climate debate because I believe that nothing I say or do will change what is going to happen on Pearl Harbor Day, 2009. I do continue to encourage anyone who is interested, to examine the arguments for themselves and try to sort the claims and counter-claims of pseudo science and quackery that are hurled from both sides of the debate.

As for the book that is the subject of this thread, I think it shows, as duanejen has also pointed out, that Australia's climate problems would be better addressed by attending to soil hydration and revegetation, than by barking up the CO2 tree. Closing all our coal powerstations, shutting down all our industries and changing all the lightbulbs won't make one jot of noticable difference to the Murray-Darling Basin's problems, but I doubt any readers of this forum would deny that a program of swale construction and revegetation throughout the desicated upper tributories of the system (such as the deeply-eroded creeks near my home) would yield rapid improvements to the entire region, and would restore, at least in part, the damaged rain-making mechanism.

17. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Alex

Gore is a politician, and Plimer (I met him a few weeks ago, we were both at a 'wine bar', so we shared a drink-or-three, and tried to not talk 'shop') is a geologist - enough said! Don't forget to check the links I have provided you with in the other thread (see: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14120&start=20).

Cheerio, Marko.

Oh, and yes. Let's revegetate AND rehydrate, by all means. But don't fall into the trap of throwing away good science just because the neo-liberals and their capitalist, Earth-raping buddies want to try and 'muddy the waters'. Shutting down globe-wide CO2 producing, fossil-fuelled industries remains a high priority. Do it right and not a single job will be lost, in fact, thousands more will be created in 'green collar' sectors.

Peace, M.

18. geoff

geoff Junior Member

I'm not a certified permaculture practitioner, but I've read the design manual a few times and try to apply what I've learned there, and I think the following are probably relevant to the whole CC/AGW/dodgy data/dodgy responses issue:

If we adhere to this directive and these ethics then polluting the atmosphere, whether we produce 2% or 98% of emissions, is a bad thing. It's bad even if it isn't the source of the well documented damages being inflicted upon the environment.

Sure, the proposed political solutions aren't going to be effective, another dose of BAU for the masses, but if we say that permaculture has any influence upon our lives (and I'm guessing we do if we're visiting here) then debate over the political aspects of the issue that bleeds over to influence action on the physical aspects would seem to be counterproductive. The likes of Plimer with their half-baked pseudo-science are not only hoping to influence the political aspects of this debate, their hoping to end the entire debate so that we can continue on with our ecological rampage. Promoting such as a rational perspective would seem to be directly in opposition to the tenets of permaculture.

Or perhaps newer editions of the PDM, and courses taught these days, no longer contain such ethical guidance?

19. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

Wow - I'm impressed.
    Mine certainly do and it is becoming even more relevant it seems.
    You make some great sense to me and the ethic will carry us through if we persist Geoff.
    regards

20. duanejen

duanejen Junior Member

Back to the topic of this blog.

Vegetation and Climate Change (and COP15)----to be presented at Copenhagen....see full text at https://www.naturalsequencefarming.com/f ... 9&start=15

Dr Jan Pokorny et al, ENKI.
    Signed in Košice, dated 26th November 2009