online course Permaculture visions

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by bulgarianlily, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bulgarianlily

bulgarianlily Junior Member

Can anyone give me some feedback on this course? I am in Bulgaria and this seems the best option for me but I would like to talk to someone that has completed it (or not!) first.

Lily

2. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

Re: online course Permaculture visions

I'm doing this course right now with my homeschooled son, and we are both absolutely loving it!

We are based in Portugal so, probably like you, there isn't much option of attending a full time course. This on-line one is great though, plenty to read, plenty of options on what 'homework' you do, and very very versatile. There are no time-limits or deadlines, which is great for us as it means my son can spend all the time he needs to get his head around something, or if he really fancies tackling something 'big' he can. One of the homework questions was to devise a year round supply of nectar and pollen for bees *in our locality* - for us that would take a year to see *exactly* when the flowers come out, or we could just bluff it and guess I suppose, but the option of taking the whole year is there if we want it. There is a range of questions within each topic to suit different types of learning. Personally, I love to waffle and would write reams and reams, but my son prefers to do computer modeling and goes for stuff that he can answer like that and use as few words as possible. The course is designed to be of use to as wide a range of people as possible. The tutor, April, is also really friendly and helpful and versatile - if you have questions she is always happy to answer them as fully as you want, but she does get busy and you might have to wait a day or two so be prepared for that.

If there's anything more specific you want to know, just ask and I'll try to answer.

3. bulgarianlily

bulgarianlily Junior Member

Thank you that all sounds really positive. I appreciate you taking the time to answer so fully.

What a GREAT thing to do with your son. Don't think doing it with my husband will be nearly so much fun as you are having!

4. sampsms

sampsms Junior Member

www Permaculturevisions dot com is the only online permaculture teaching course.(I think)
    It has students in over 43 countries. I have been associated with this site and they have won several awards. They are ethical people who pride themselves on their honesty and really believe in what they are doing. (as do most people involved in permaculture.)

They have about 60 pages of free stuff on their webpage..

There are very few scumbags in permaculture, although there are some people who have stolen their course notes but they are very few..
    I'm sure , if you felt you were unhappy with their course, they will refund, especially if you have only accessed the introductory section.
    You can't ask for more than that.

5. primal parent

primal parent Junior Member

I am finishing the course up right now. Working on my final design.

I must say it's been on of the most rewarding experiences I've done. It is very flexible in order to be tailored to any bioregion. I found it reasonably priced and, as stated above, samples are available if you desire to see more.

For some questions that require an entire year of observation, these can also be tackled with research into the cycles of flora an fauna.

Finally, I'd like to add that, despite the large number of students all sending in pages of note (and the fact that PV still has a site to manage) I received feedback on every page of homework I sent in, some included questions which made me explore further or included viewpoints I had never even considered!

I would highly recommend this course as well.

6. Salkeela

Salkeela Junior Member

Hello. First post from a newbie!

I too am doing this course from Permaculture Visions and am pleased with the way it is organised. I have just finished by Module one coursework and sent it in. April is friendly and encouraging - I have had feed back from the first piece already.

I'm looking forward to exploring your forum. ----- Oh and look at that you even have a Guinness smilie! :drinkers: (I'm from N.Ireland :) )