pdc 14 day zaytuna farm.

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by radiokarma, Jan 10, 2009.

1. radiokarma

radiokarma Guest

Hello,
    I hope to attend the 14 day course at Zaytuna Farm, in March.
    Has anyone here, attended this course before? Anyone willing to share some tips, advice or stories about their adventure?

Is anyone else hoping to attend on the 22nd of March? I will be driving from Sydney, so it would be lovely to know who else will be on the road.

Kind regards
    Kylie.

2. ave a go

ave a go Junior Member

Re: pdc 14 day zaytuna farm.

Hi Kylie,

I did my course up at Zaytuna Farm in September 08

It was fantastic! Real life changing experience.

When we were there the showers weren't set up until the last couple of days of being there, but they are all up and running now (we were allowed to use the shower at the main house but a dunk in the swimming dam was all that I used :D )

Where abouts in Sydney are you?
    Do you attend any of the local permaculture groups?

3. radiokarma

radiokarma Guest

Hi Matt,

Thanks for writing.

Did you have any experience before attending at Zaytuna?
    I am all theory, no action as of yet (except for a worm farm and a few herbs on the balcony!).
    Have not been to any Sydney groups; have not stepped away from the books or computer.
    This is the time to make those changes though.

My partner and I are in Chatswood. I see on the 'Permaculture North' website that they offer introductory courses, which I think I should sneak into before going to Zaytuna... what do you think? What type of background did the other students have? Is it a course tailored for those who at least have a backyard, or can someone like me, scrimping and saving to get out of the city, an absolute beginner, still stuck in the wage-slave mindset, benefit?

I see on your other posts that you are in Blacktown and have a few chickens! What, if any, Sydney groups are you involved in? Whats your background? Have you been involved in PC for long?

cheers,

4. Hamishmac

Hamishmac Junior Member

Hi there,

That is exactly where I was, for a long time, excepting mucking around with a few veggie beds, and I'm sure many others on this forum will have similar tales.

I did a PDC in Melbourne Oct 08 and it gave me the confidence to actually go out & make some changes on the landscape shape on my block, and start living my thoughts as actions instead of "thinking big about living small".

I would reckon that half the folk at my PDC had very restricted practical permaculture experience (in the food-growing sense), and/or access to land (city high-rise apartment dwellers included). However there was a really amazing great breadth & depth of knowledge in a huge gamut of other important fields like social work, architecture, transport, education etc where the earth care/people care/fair share ethos also applied.

I'm sure you'll have a ball.

Hamish

5. ave a go

ave a go Junior Member

No, just mainly theory as well.

You could if you like. I was a bit worried before I went to do my PDC because I thought that I didn't know enough. But you really don't need to know alot, you could take the course even if you had never heard of permaculture.

People came from all walks of life, and people of all ages, lots of diversity :D

No, not taylored to anyone specifically.

I attend Permaculture Sydney West. Background??? -- Born & raised in the burbs of Sydney. My paid employment is in insurance in the CBD :cry: I only discovered permaculture about 15 months ago. Did my PDC after 12 months. Highly reccomend it. And as Hamish said

6. marsa

marsa Junior Member

Hi Kylie and others,

I'm coming to Zaytuna farm to study permaculture all the way from Finland, and will start by taking the PDC in March. I'll be landing in Brisbane around March 20th. I was just thinking if there's anyone here taking the course and going to Zaytuna farm from my direction with extra room in the car? :) I saw there are buses and such as well but thought it would be nicer to find someone going the same way.

Anyway, see you there latest!

Mari

7. gardeningyogi

gardeningyogi New Member

Hi Marsa,
    I know this is a bit late, but I am going to the PDC course on Saturday the 21st from Brisbane. Did you still need a lift? You can email me direct on [email protected] if you want. Cheers, Barb