Growing veggies on the roof?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by PDB, Jan 9, 2009.

1. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Hi I am thinking of growing veggies in pots on the shed roof. I am on brisbanes southside and have a good size shed/workshop with a fairly flat roof. its alot of wasted space that i would like to use. Can use some advice please,thanks :rolleyes:

2. Mowman

Mowman Junior Member

Re: Growing veggies on the roof?

I grew hydroponic vegies years ago on a flat roof, its makes good use of a large sunny area. Three bits of advice I have are:
    1. Dont let nutrient puddles sit in the gutters or on the roof. They're like sea water in that they'll start rust.
    2. Put the initial effort into establishing a good solid safe way of getting up and down, not just a ladder leant up against the wall. Climbing a ladder up the side of a house is a fairly safe thing to do, but if you consider that you and others will be up and down it a few thousand times over the next few years, the statistical probability of a slip or fall is very high.
    3. Make use of the water coming from the downpipe from this bit of roof, it will be fairly constant.
    Have fun!

3. Tropicana

Tropicana Junior Member

I'm thinking about just how hot it will be up there! Is the shed roof silver tin/steel? (Some colours can be even worse)I remember having to get upon the tin roof of a cottage I was in years ago. It must have been several degrees hotter than on the ground because of the reflected heat (I suppose). And that was in Tassie. Maybe you have some shade there during the hotter times of the day, that wouldn't be quite so bad. Keep in mind that black pots, whether plastic or otherwise can also make the roots too hot whilst in the sun.

How far apart are the beams that support the roof of the shed? Is it really safe to walk on on a regular basis? Potted plants can get pretty heavy, especially when wet. Keep in mind all the storms you've been having down that way. Heavy pots can and will be picked up by strong winds and make deadly missiles.

Good luck with your project and I hope I haven't rained on your parade too much.

Tropicana

4. weee chomper

weee chomper New Member

Thinking of doing the same on my shed roof, however they'd need to stand a bit of drying out. Does anyone know any good hardy, edible varieties that can stand dry conditions.

5. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Thanks all, I think I will give it a go. I would like any advice on what would be good to grow. Thanks again