ginger in brsibane

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by kekal, Dec 6, 2008.

1. kekal

kekal Junior Member

I live in Deception Bay, and I'm looking for edible ginger to grow. I'm not sure if the ginger from woolies is fumigated or if it is a cultivar that will grow well in this region. Does anyone have some ginger I could buy, or know of where I can get it? The local nursery seems to think it is hard to obtain.
    I also live in St Lucia some of the time if there is any in inner brisbane.
    Thanks
    Stevo

2. qis

qis Junior Member

Re: ginger in brsibane

Have you tried native ginger? Jackie French recommends it in a number of her books. You probably know the plant - about 1.5 m high, dark strappy leaves, grown under trees, with bunches of bright blue berries. There's plenty of it growing at UQ if you want to grab some berries or pull up a bulb or two. It's native to the area - likes it dry and shady.

3. kekal

kekal Junior Member

yeah i know the stuff, i was thinking about getting some of that too
    thanks

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I grow ginger reasonably successfully just north of Sydney.
    it seems to like a rich soil, some sun, and lots of organic matter and water.

I grew it from a bit of Supermarket Ginger that sprouted.

If you break it, you need to let the wounds heal (3-4 days) before planting.

If it has been treated with growth retardants (unlikely) give it a good scrub/wash and leave it for a while.
    Make sure it does not desiccate (dry out)

I would like to collect other varieties of Ginger /galangal if anyone has any to swap?

5. johnw

johnw Junior Member

Hi Stevo,

I live on the North end of the Gold Coast and grow Ginger (Zingiber officinale) and another variety that was given to me about 7 years ago from an Asian gentleman. He called it 'Tai' ginger. Its a smaller variety but grows in the same conditions as the standard type does(filtered and morning sun(at my place) ) with very little looking after except a water in extreme dry times(maybe 3 times in the whole time I.ve been growing them both.
    If you're interested in some just let me know and I'll post them up in a small box no problem.

Cheers,
    John

6. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I've grown mine from shop bought stuff. Buy a piece that has a visible culm (maybe wrong terminology) that is ready to shoot.

It can take a while befoe it throws its first shoot (mine has just done so in the soil), but I expenct it will kick on now.

I have a reasonable size gallangal bush (though have never harvested any :oops: and have some very small (ie just shot again this spring) tumeric plants which are in my aquaponics. The aquaponics doesn't seem to suit the tumeric, so I keep meaning to plant in the soil - but keep forgetting to :oops: :lol:.

7. Michaelangelica

My Tumeric actually flowered here
    Easy to miss the flowers are tucked down among the shoots. Big white orchid like flowers.
    [​IMG]

Turmeric has been recently shown to have some amazing medicinal properties.

https://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2113607
    https://www.springerlink.com/content/m632487j3ng12108/

i never harvested mine (Not big on Curries) Must try to plant a bit next time Woolies makes a mistake and buys some roots.

8. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Nice - thanks for that. I must remember to get some out of the grow-bed and stick it in the garden. Will put it next to the ginger, which is next to the gallangal :lol:

9. burt

burt New Member

Re: ginger in brsibane [ turmeric benefits ]

Hey, I caught this looking for turmeric posts. Do you have any info about suggested turmeric benefits?

10. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

sterolising ginger and garlic is one of those urban myths that wont go away. Don Bourke was the first I heard about it and Ive been told by a landscaping rival of his that he was quite well paid to mention the myth every time he planted garlic

never ever had problems with growing ginger from the corms in the shop

11. Michaelangelica

Re: ginger in brsibane [ turmeric benefits ]

A lot of the research is new-- it all looks Kosher.
    You might like to try a google scholar search for research papers.